Sign in to follow this  
Hrathen

An Open Letter to Podcasters

I love this game.  When I'm not playing I love to listen to podcasts about it.  There are some great podcasts out there.  I know that it takes a lot of work to put them together.  So thank you.

But I have have some advice if you are going to Podcast about X-wing. 

First - you really need to know what you are talking about.  I'm not going to name names, but I was recently listening to a podcast where the people didn't know if unguided rockets would require you to spend the focus token even though it clearly doesn't say that you have to.  Needless to say I had to unfollow that podcast.  (There were other problems with it).  I am not saying that everyone needs to be an expert or a worlds level competitor, but you need to know the rules themselves.

Second - Stick to your focus.  I have no problem with a podcast that says it is going to cover all sorts of games or maybe all sorts of FFG games or even all sorts of Star Wars games.  And I don't mind it when a podcast has a little tangent from time to time.  But If I subscribe to your podcast it is because I expect it to be about what you say it is going to be about.  There is another podcast where the people making got sick of (this time it was Armada), and they haven't really made any podcasts for some time.  In truth I miss the podcasts I would rather them not post then post a podcast and talk about a game for a hour that I don't play.  Also I find when you don't stick to your focus you will struggle with knowing your stuff.  

Third - Love your game.  I don't care if you don't like a particular ship or the current state of the meta.  And someone might be interested listening to a podcast where people rage and rant, but I love this game.  I think it the best game I have ever played.  Nothing really turns me off like when people get so caught up in the imperfections of this game and miss all the great fun that in can be.  It makes me wonder why the are even wasting their time doing a podcast about a game that they don't like.

Fourth - And this is simple - I need to be able to hear what you are saying.  I know good sound equipment can be expensive, but sometimes I think sound quality can be greatly improved with some simple mic dicisplin, enunciation and simply not talking over each other..  I would recommend that you listen to yourself.  If it is at all muddled to you (you already know what you are saying) I will not be able to understand you as I am driving to work.  

Lastlying - do more.  Those of you who are doing a good job, thank you you.  Those of you who need to improve.  Improve.  I don't want you to stop, I just want you to get better.

Edited by Hrathen

3 hours ago, Hrathen said:

I was recently listening to a podcast where the people didn't know if unguided rockets would require you to spend the focus token even though it clearly doesn't say that you have to.  Needless to say I had to unfollow that podcast.

because they weren't sure of the exact wording of an unreleased card you unfollowed them?

lol k

3 hours ago, Hrathen said:

snipped

Look, this post just wasn't ready to go out yet. "thank you you."? "mic dicisplin"? Come on. I pay as much for your content as you do for podcasts so I really need you to create better content for me, and this is just unacceptable. I'm not saying the entire post is worthless, but I definitely have some qualms with it.  If you could try to keep all future posts X-Wing related, I would appreciate that too, rather than have me read a post about a game I don't play. Please, try a little harder. I don't want you to stop posting, but do try to improve.

Sarcasm aside, you sound very entitled. If you don't like them then don't listen.

21 minutes ago, HammerGibbens said:

Look, this post just wasn't ready to go out yet. "thank you you."? "mic dicisplin"? Come on. I pay as much for your content as you do for podcasts so I really need you to create better content for me, and this is just unacceptable. I'm not saying the entire post is worthless, but I definitely have some qualms with it.  If you could try to keep all future posts X-Wing related, I would appreciate that too, rather than have me read a post about a game I don't play. Please, try a little harder. I don't want you to stop posting, but do try to improve.

Sarcasm aside, you sound very entitled. If you don't like them then don't listen.

You are my hero.  Thanks for saying it so well.

You seem to be asking a bit much my friend (or perhaps my standards are too low :P) so let's address these points

4 hours ago, Hrathen said:

I love this game.  When I'm not playing I love to listen to podcasts about it.  There are some great podcasts out there.  I know that it takes a lot of work to put them together.  So thank you.

First - you really need to know what you are talking about.  I'm not going to name names, but I was recently listening to a podcast where the people didn't know if unguided rockets would require you to spend the focus token even though it clearly doesn't say that you have to.  Needless to say I had to unfollow that podcast.  (There were other problems with it).  I am not saying that everyone needs to be an expert or a worlds level competitor, but you need to know the rules themselves.

1. Isnt expecting the hosts to know the exact wording of newly released cards a bit much? Sure they could know it and it's a bit frustrating if they don't and I know you say that they don't need expert level knowledge, just common rule stuff but it's a pretty high demand for people that host podcasts fro fun and for free.  As an example I recently listened to a radio TCX podcast (the most recent Skurrg episode) and was slightly annoyed when they talked about a buff for the Punisher and didn't mention the possibilities of Lightweight Frame. It's an excellent podcast about tactics and sure I would have liked them to have brought it up but it's not "on them" to know every card combo or even the written rules for every card.

Second - Stick to your focus.  I have no problem with a podcast that says it is going to cover all sorts of games or maybe all sorts of FFG games or even all sorts of Star Wars games.  And I don't mind it when a podcast has a little tangent from time to time.  But If I subscribe to your podcast it is because I expect it to be about what you say it is going to be about.  There is another podcast where the people making got sick of (this time it was Armada), and they haven't really made any podcasts for some time.  In truth I miss the podcasts I would rather them not post then post a podcast and talk about a game for a hour that I don't play.  Also I find when you don't stick to your focus you will struggle with knowing your stuff.  

2. These people do this for fun. They can talk about whatever they want, sure it will impact them audience wise but it's ultimately their choice. Whether we listen to it or not is ours. You have every right to leave these podcasts or stay but I find I am usually just as invested in the hosts personality and humerus banter as in the subject they are talking about.

Third - Love your game.  I don't care if you don't like a particular ship or the current state of the meta.  And someone might be interested listening to a podcast where people rage and rant, but I love this game.  I think it the best game I have ever played.  Nothing really turns me off like when people get so caught up in the imperfections of this game and miss all the great fun that in can be.  It makes me wonder why the are even wasting their time doing a podcast about a game that they don't like.

3. Yeah, I've seen to much of this. Sadly some podcasts seem to have lost a bit of momentum for the game, I do enjoy the wide eyed wonder that they have at the release of a new wave or expansion and the endless B-Team or ultimately fruitless combos they produce as they bounce ideas off each other. There are always other podcasts that have something going on and I enjoy ten old nostalgia trip of listening to a podcast from a year or so ago and remembering how I was at the time, just as starry eyed as yeh were at the wonders of the game. But asking them to love their game unquestionably seems a bit much. They do these podcasts out of love anyway

Fourth - And this is simple - I need to be able to hear what you are saying.  I know good sound equipment can be expensive, but sometimes I think sound quality can be greatly improved with some simple mic dicisplin, enunciation and simply not talking over each other..  I would recommend that you listen to yourself.  If it is at all muddled to you (you already know what you are saying) I will not be able to understand you as I am driving to work.  

4. All podcasts start somewhere, if you don't support te newer ones (and I'm not accusing you of this) than they can't grow and branch out fro better equipment. Sure it's nice to hear J-Bots silky smooth voice that takes you back to his audio dramas but it's a free service after a little time most podcasts seem to up their quality gradually.

Lastlying - do more.  Those of you who are doing a good job, thank you you.  Those of you who need to improve.  Improve.  I don't want you to stop, I just want you to get better.

5/lastly. Do more? Heck I'm glad their doing anything. Maybe my standards are too low and yeah I would love daily podcasts from every group out there but it's something they do for enjoyment in their free time. They'd have these conversations to each other anyway (most of the time) so as I see it we're just along for the ride.

TLDR: 

hosts create podcasts because they are passionate about what they love. And regardless of their quality, annoyance at the state of the game, audio equipment, focus or knowledge of the game they do this because they want to and enjoy it. We should support them rather than ridicule them because a handful of them differ in production value, I'm just glad there are people out there who are as passionate about the game as I am.

I agree. It's terrible that I am forced to listen to podcasts that I have paid no money for, I am unable to click "unsubscribe" and therefore am required to spend hours listening to content provided by others with real investment on my part.

The only possible route for me now is to post "advice" on a forum. 

Feel my paaaiiinn!!

or possibly "Noooooooooooo"

20 hours ago, Hrathen said:

I respectfully disagree. When I listen to a podcast, I want their honest opinion. If they think something is awesome, I want to hear it. If they think something is problematic, I want to hear it.

As one of the hosts of the forementioned podcast The Armchair Admirals we did have a disagreement on the wording on the card.  Andrew the other host did correct it in the podcast as we discussed it.  Thank you for the feedback and I appreciated you for listening and supplying the feedback.  We do occasionally, well at least I do, make some mistakes and for that I do apologize.

Thanks for your past subscribing and I hope that in the future you will listen to us again.

Chuck

Co-Host who screwed up the card reading  

The Armchair Admirals

An open letter to podcast listeners,

Please listen to a variety of podcasts, and decide which ones you enjoy listening to. Creators create content they enjoy, and have no obligation to listeners, outside of patreon created obligations to patron supporters.  If you don't like what a podcast is doing, or believe it needs to change, perhaps you should create the podcast that you want to hear.

26 minutes ago, Palanthas said:

As one of the hosts of the forementioned podcast The Armchair Admirals we did have a disagreement on the wording on the card.  Andrew the other host did correct it in the podcast as we discussed it.  Thank you for the feedback and I appreciated you for listening and supplying the feedback.  We do occasionally, well at least I do, make some mistakes and for that I do apologize.

Thanks for your past subscribing and I hope that in the future you will listen to us again.

Chuck

Co-Host who screwed up the card reading  

The Armchair Admirals

That's funny, I thought for sure it would have been one of us on the Shuttle :P

On 6/25/2017 at 10:41 PM, Hrathen said:

12 hours ago, MrAndersson said:

I respectfully disagree. When I listen to a podcast, I want their honest opinion. If they think something is awesome, I want to hear it. If they think something is problematic, I want to hear it.

I'll agree that if you have been playing the game for a while, you do like it.  There are times when the game just pisses you off for some reason.  It pisses you off not because you hate the game, but because you love it.   Maybe you started in Wave 1 and don't like the power creep.  Or the dials are always amazing when compared to old ships.   Usually there is something that sets you off because you love the game and something you see unbalances it.    

18 minutes ago, SOTL said:

When your podcast is better than theirs you'll be in a position to judge those who are spending their free hours to entertain/inform you with very little by way of a reward.

Oooh, there'll be another podcast soon then? Yay :lol:

I have no problem if they don't know the exact wording, but get a computer and look it up.   Instead of going a entire show without doing so.   I know which one he is talking about.     In today's world its easy to look it up for the podcasters, so just do it.   Instead of guessing and discussing and entire strategy which is completely invalid.    

Yes they are free, but most of us support them via patreons.

It is easy to sit here and say hey do this or that better to the podcasts out there, and honestly this is how we all do learn to improve. Honestly, i do not think that any of them are pros at broadcasting or do any type of radio shows to where they know their info as well as well lets say radio or even tv show hosts are expected to know. I do give all of these guys and ladies credit for doing the best they are able given that they are learning as they go with what they have available.