Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

FIVE Arquitens! Tournament Report

It's a good thing you had that red dice roll on tape, because I wouldn't have believed it otherwise!

Doggine it, now I want two more kittens. I love the ship, even tough it doesn't fit my usual eat-all-these-torpedoes close fight approach!

10 hours ago, Destraa said:

So you're running slaved turrets and essentially circling the waters? Nav spam I assume?

Nope.  I only did a navigation command the first turn, and then once more on only 3 ships.  Most of the time I just concentrate fire the whole time.  Nav is overrated.  I fly these things enough that I feel very comfortable with handling them.  

2 hours ago, Democratus said:

What do you find is the best speed to use Arquitens without Jerjerrod? I'd be worried about flying off the board.

This is always my concern, which is why I've been toying with Command Cruisers with ET for pinches.

I run them at speed 2 most of the time, and try to keep the nav token from round 1 on them until I absolutely need it.   My "kill zone" is often enough to kill anything that tries to get close, so I can typically slow them all down to speed 1 if I need to.  But generally just 2.  

1 minute ago, GalacticFister said:

How did you feel about Enhanced Armaments? Did you think Slaved Turrets would get the job done just as well?

If you're Circle-Strafing, then Slaved Turrets are the Cheaper option of the two.  Its not that easy to get Double-Arcs with the Arquitens...

Enhanced really only pays for itself when you're able to Dive into the middle of a split formation and fire off on both sides simultaniously...

Slaved basically frees you from both having to split an enemy formation, and do anything other than circle-strafe at range from one side...  So it promotes a play which is less Mind-and-Thought intensive, giving your brain a break as tournament days drag on :D

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

If you're Circle-Strafing, then Slaved Turrets are the Cheaper option of the two.  Its not that easy to get Double-Arcs with the Arquitens...

Enhanced really only pays for itself when you're able to Dive into the middle of a split formation and fire off on both sides simultaniously...

Slaved basically frees you from both having to split an enemy formation, and do anything other than circle-strafe at range from one side...  So it promotes a play which is less Mind-and-Thought intensive, giving your brain a break as tournament days drag on :D

I'm also curious to what the yellow objective he ran was. With EAs Fire Lanes becomes an obvious choice, but with Slaved Turrets not so much IMO.

Even without it, Fire Lanes is still a good choice for them - they're going to be packed, and 3 Dice (or 2 dice) multipled 4-5 times, when its on your side of the table, means the enemy has to basically do something like drive an ISD directly into your midst to claim tokens....  

"I have you now."

That's true, but I've ran against a similar Imperial MSU with Fire Lanes in a SC, and I took first player with a Liberty with gun teams, leading shots, Xi7s, and spinals. Sure, since he out activated me he got a couple shots on my lib, but I one shot two arqs the following round first thing. I suppose that's a risk regardless of the objectives, but fire lanes will punish you really hard if you lose a ship or two. I think having EA makes it fine, but starting off with ~4ish less dice can really snowball into a bad score.

Been doing 4 myself with enhanced armament and a flotilla in order to fit a decent amount of squadrons and still have a bid that guarantee i go first. Its surprisingly good now that Reikaan is nerfed. Rolling 5 dices on each side at long range doing circles or trench in between ships. As an imperial player it feels somewhat different to fly ships that do real sniping damage and doesent have to be in the middle of the action instantly or be so big a target that it takes a third of your points each lol. I filled it with stalling style fighters. 3 Advance, tempest squadron and beard boy Soontir for the damage. 

Big ships seems to be such an easy target, now i know how rebels feel when they swarm lol. Shooting 20 red dice at an ISD or an Home one does surprisingly good damage in a turn lol. Also small close range ship like gladiator/mc30 can die surprisingly fast if you are careful and get many arcs on them early and force them to spend defense before they are ready to attack.

Overall like the video show, its a solid build to have fun with the new meta we might be entering with the recent changes i think its stronger then it would have been before the erreta, because zombie close range ships would give you a nasty beat down. Now its manageable and i encourage more imperial to try them out considering how cheap they sell on amazon and such too, great buy overall.

On 6/26/2017 at 8:30 PM, NakedDex said:

Great, now I'm looking at two more Arquitens instead of two more Raiders, and wondering which is the more ridiculous idea.

I got 4 of each hehe. To be honest for a while Raiders where bomb with ozzel and APT, but with all the bomber actions their poor durability and the fact that they are close range ship only makes them weaker then they used to be. Id go for the Arquitens right now. The longer ranges makes them more durable just for that. They have less potential max damage, but youll get more shots out of each ships along the way to cover that and then some.

On 6/30/2017 at 11:30 AM, GalacticFister said:

How did you feel about Enhanced Armaments? Did you think Slaved Turrets would get the job done just as well?

Slaved Turrets is certainly cheaper, but honestly I REALLY prefer Enhanced Armament because people often TRY to get in close to me, and I've found I end up having Front + Side shots on to them more often than not....  Considering I often do Concentrate Fire, that means I get a red and 2 black dice + Vader, and then the 4 red + Vader... that's WAYYY better than slaved turrets and even getting to use it that way twice during a game makes it worth it.