blitzhill

Full collection storage

Plano trays for mine, stored in a wheeled duffel bag from WalMart. Ten trays, two for each faction, one for tokens and templates, one for the Epic stuff (including the GR-75), and two for my son's collection. A smaller tray holds the mission tokens. A larger tray holds the larger ships - the Ghost, Shuttles, VT-49s, etc. That tray fits in the lower compartment of the duffel. 

Pilot cards go in a binder, with most ships getting their own pages (or multiple pages if needed). This binder fits in the lower compartment with the large ship tray. Upgrade cards go in their own binder in the pages sized for them. This binder fits along the side of the trays in the main compartment of the duffel. 

So I can get my entire collection in the one bag, with the exception of the rest of the Epic ships which go in a shoebox that they fit neatly in. The only problems I have had with this storage are the b-wing cannons. The ships don't move enough to damage themselves as long as the compartment they are in is snug enough. 

I have seriously considered the Battle Foam, but I just can't justify the expense given the lack of problems I have had with Plano. 

I have one Feldherr scum & villainy carry case with foam trays for bringing ships to play other places. I use plastic bead holder trays with lockable lids to store my tokens, upgrades, dials etc (I have three bead holder cases). The bead holder cases are nice because the divider tabs can be moved around to suit your needs. When not in use my ships are stored on two shelves I made at work, one is 36" and one is 48". For reference I have at least one of every ship out currently (multiples of every small base ship) and the Gozanti and C-ROC, and both core sets. The only thing I do not have is the Blockade Runner and Imperial Raider.

I too struggle with storing my ships so they are mobile. I moved earlier in the year (luckily not far) and per the forum suggestions used regular boxes with T-Shirts lining them to transport my ships loose (took them off the stands). Nothing got damaged but if I was moving far or had to transport the ships far outside of what fits in the Feldherr case i'm not sure what I would do. I cant afford to buy enough Feldherr type cases to hold everything so at this point I make due. The biggest issue is large base ships and huge ships obviously.

29 minutes ago, Phoenix5454 said:

The biggest issue is large base ships and huge ships obviously.

If the only issue you are having is mass transport the plastic the large and huge ships come in is pretty adequate. 2 rubber bands secure a large ship in plastic really well, my huge ships haven't left their retail boxes after a good ooh ahh session.

31 minutes ago, Phoenix5454 said:

I cant afford to buy enough Feldherr type cases to hold everything so at this point I make due. The biggest issue is large base ships and huge ships obviously.

The cardboard cases are rather large and super cheap … and technical any other cardboard box in similar size will work just as fine. 

7 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

If the only issue you are having is mass transport the plastic the large and huge ships come in is pretty adequate. 2 rubber bands secure a large ship in plastic really well, my huge ships haven't left their retail boxes after a good ooh ahh session.

yeah... except the only box I still have is the C-ROC's box, the other ones were trashed during my move, not by myself... <_<

I purchase an IKEA Detolf glass display case and modified it to have twice the shelves. (Though it would have cost less to purchase two display cases.) This houses my 110 ships (4 are epic) that are not in squads. Most of the shelfs are half full and one has nothing on it at all right now. I am probably going to get a foam case for the epic ships for travel and it will free up a lot of space it I need it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3608430/treebeardtheent

5 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

This is a great storage solution for casual and taking it easy kinda travels; the Stanley Organizer; cool removable bins. I took it to a close tourney and it did good....not perfect mind you, and X-Wings need padding in them ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005QWYF/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AAC5076B-9C34-4574-9EC6-6827B53098C0.jpg

Something like this would be perfect if you use Sir Willi's boxes. 

If not, keep the plastic the ships come in; they'll fit right in one of these. 

I'm a casual player and these Stanley cases are perfect for me. It's almost as if they were made specifically for x-wing.

I spent the day at my game club today and this is everything I brought with me - two full lists (my Rebel list and a popular Scum list in case someone at the club without ships wanted to fly). Absolutely everything needed for a two player battle is in this one extremely lightweight case...

34j62wz.jpg

The cups make setting up, changing tables and putting everything away a snap. 

149zioj.jpg

When I get home, ships and dials go back in their proper storage place. This is my (almost) entire collection (4 Ties are standing on my desk. Almost time to add case #5).

205ehxc.jpg

2iiiumo.jpg

i3x7qs.jpg

All the foam I used is from four video card boxes that were getting thrown out at work. Keeps everything very secure - and looks great too I think.

Like I said, I play casual and rarely see a need to bring more than two lists with me, all of which easily fits in my one travel case. If I wanted to bring more ships than my group could possibly fly in a day, I'd need to bring one more case and my binder.

Super portable, super cheap (about $12 per case on Amazon), very organized and looks fantastic. Unless you need to regularly travel with your entire collection, I haven't seen a better storage solution than these Stanleys. (not an affiliate.)

Edited by vaderizer

The epic ships fit that way... ::runs to case to rearrange:: ?

Edit: ? Mine hit the glass in the front and back stopping the door from closing. The ships are at about 15 degree angle, but I can still fit three epic and two large base on one shelf.

Edited by TreebeardTheEnt

@xbeaker that is amazing. looks really pro. perfect.

@vaderizer I have the stanley's too but don't have the little cups... I like those. I'll have to see if I can find them separate as they would make my setup a lot easier too! 

I'll post my solution later, but everything but Epic fits into my Plano case and I got almost everything. Granted my stuff is a lot more hap-hazardly stored than everyone elses! 

I have Battlefoam. I have Feldherr. I have plano boxes. I have... too much! :lol:

What it boils down to for me (and has taken a while to get to) is there is a difference between storage and transportation. Here's where I've landed.

I initially purchased Feldherr cases. They got expensive, so I quit. I still use them (most likely one at a time) for transportation and for some storage.

Then I got a Battlefoam 720. I needed a big case because I host / run multiple Heroes of the Aturi Cluster sessions at my game store, so I need a case that can carry 24-30 TIE Fighters on stands plus other stuff. I could fit that may TIE Fighters into a Feldherr case but not on stands, so it took forever to set everything up and tear down at the end of a night of mayhem. The Battlefoam includes trays that allow me to store ships on stands which helps a lot. But it's expensive stuff (even on sale) and the Pack PLUS doesn't work at all like I had hoped. The 720 is fantastic.

So that's transportation. For storage, I had been using Feldherr cases but as mentioned the expense was getting out of hand. (Why spend money on storage when you can spend money on MOAR SHIPPSSSS! ;) ) I'm in the process of building a bunch of "micro hangers" from http://sirwillibald.com/games/x-wing-miniatures-games/ and will use those to store things in a glass case. When I prep for a trip to the game store, I figure out which ships I need to run the missions for that evening and load up the 720 and one Feldherr and off I go.

Edited by drathbun

15 hours ago, Wiredin said:

@xbeaker that is amazing. looks really pro. perfect.

@vaderizer I have the stanley's too but don't have the little cups... I like those. I'll have to see if I can find them separate as they would make my setup a lot easier too! 

I'll post my solution later, but everything but Epic fits into my Plano case and I got almost everything. Granted my stuff is a lot more hap-hazardly stored than everyone elses! 

Thanks.  I have been making box inserts for my games for a while now.  This was just a bit.. bigger.  And no storage can be more haphazard than the one a guy I play with's.  He has pretty much all his small ships in the same large bin.  It is just big enough to hold them all in a ship "cobweb", but all because they are in a tangled mess they seem to all hold each other and cushion each other enough that nothing has ever broken.  It just LOOKS like every X-wing should be wingless though haha.  

I have 3 large Feldherr cases and 1 small for events. Everything is in foam except the new toys and I have a magnetic template tray that fits perfectly in the Feldherr mini. I have binders for the cards and a couple of random compartment boxes from Sainsbury's for the odds and sods like 2,000 focus tokens and bomb tokens etc. 

It's actually getting a bit overwhelming trying to keep it organised and together. I could really do with a decent way to store and organise ship tiles and dials a bit better so I don't end up going through everything the night before a tourney...

42 minutes ago, Smutpedler said:

I have 3 large Feldherr cases and 1 small for events. Everything is in foam except the new toys and I have a magnetic template tray that fits perfectly in the Feldherr mini. I have binders for the cards and a couple of random compartment boxes from Sainsbury's for the odds and sods like 2,000 focus tokens and bomb tokens etc. 

It's actually getting a bit overwhelming trying to keep it organised and together. I could really do with a decent way to store and organise ship tiles and dials a bit better so I don't end up going through everything the night before a tourney...

I have a large shoe box (from a pair of my wife's boots) that I use to hold all the extra tokens and such.  That box is full to near bursting.  I also keep a second plano box that is devoted to scenario specific tokens and the epic ship stuff, templates, bases, tokens, etc..

1 hour ago, xbeaker said:

He has pretty much all his small ships in the same large bin.  It is just big enough to hold them all in a ship "cobweb", but all because they are in a tangled mess they seem to all hold each other and cushion each other enough that nothing has ever broken.  It just LOOKS like every X-wing should be wingless though haha.  

thats my daily transport method

I have a Plano 1374 that I outgrew a while ago.  I got 3 Plano 3700 cases. One holds all my large based ships. One holds my 2 epic Rebel and the other epic Imps.  Need a new one for Scum.

If I went foam, I'd be bankrupt.  I would need a lot of trays and at least 2 bags.

21 hours ago, heychadwick said:

I have a Plano 1374 that I outgrew a while ago.  I got 3 Plano 3700 cases. One holds all my large based ships. One holds my 2 epic Rebel and the other epic Imps.  Need a new one for Scum.

If I went foam, I'd be bankrupt.  I would need a lot of trays and at least 2 bags.

Go to Home Depot, pick up window air conditioner insulation.  That is what I am using in the above pictures.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-4-in-x-42-in-Foam-Air-Conditioner-Weatherstrip-AC43-14/100013157  you get 4 feet of it (2 1/4" thick) for $3!  With a knife you can very easily modify it like any pluck foam.  It is a much cheaper method without sacrificing quality.  

Edited by xbeaker

1 hour ago, xbeaker said:

Go to Home Depot, pick up window air conditioner insulation.  That is what I am using in the above pictures.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-4-in-x-42-in-Foam-Air-Conditioner-Weatherstrip-AC43-14/100013157  you get 4 feet of it (2 1/4" thick) for $3!  With a knife you can very easily modify it like any pluck foam.  It is a much cheaper method without sacrificing quality.  

That is very Good!  I've seen people with access to foam also buy pizza delivery bags to then carry it.