blitzhill

Full collection storage

So, I have about 15 new ships still stored in their boxes because my Plano 1374 is full, not to mention epic ships.  How is everyone storing their whole collection?  Searching for storage collections either yields results that are years old or very small collections, often only 1 of each ship or only owning about half the ships available.  

I'm currently debating between more 1374s, Feldherr foam for everything in a big tote, and a glass display case.  What does everyone else use?

I use KR multicase aluminium boxes with custom foam inside. They're the best around but the price reflects that. British too, so shipping might be an issue.

Feldherr is a lot cheaper. Tackle/DIY boxes are even cheaper, so if price is more important than fully cushioned foam, go for a stack of those.

If I'd realised quite how many ships I'd be getting (over 200 now), I'd have got Feldherr as a fine compromise between cost and quality storage.

I just use Plano boxes of various sizes at home and a 3 ring binder for all my cards.  I have a travel case that fits 2 or 3 squads (feldherr mini) and my templates etc.  All my epic ships are in a glass case on display and rarely get used, but they do look nice! 

I'm a Battlefoam C4 honk for the fact they're foam, customizable and have a intergral binder for card sleeves and large pouch for templates and asteroids. Foam thickness is custom too, 1 1/2" is standard, can stack T-65s, Y's, A-Wings, etc in single slots. Cost a bit? Yep. Keeps everything uber safe and compact? Yep. Do I get commission? Sadly, nope.

B8D75385-E9FF-4BE9-ABFB-85E9F68CB0CB.jpg

Edited by clanofwolves

4 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

I'm a Battlefoam C4 honk for the fact they're foam, customizable and have a intergral binder for card sleeves and large pouch for templates and asteroids. Cost a bit? Yep. Keeps everything uber safe and compact? Yep. Do I get commission? Sadly, nope.

Where do you store the large ships? Does it just hold those two trays of foam?

12 minutes ago, blitzhill said:

Where do you store the large ships? Does it just hold those two trays of foam?

I have another of theirs, a 216 for that....

32EEEF73-7AEE-46A3-BD12-3C0FF81F7460.jpg....the top foam was a guess and I've never purchased a ghost, Misthunter, etc.

...yeah, it's probably the higher end of storage; but I travel around with them a lot and they make up their cost with never having to replace miniatures; they're pretty bomb proof. 

Edited by clanofwolves

Plano 3750 cases, 1/2" binders from staples, 16 pocket pages from bcw, 9 pocket pages from bcw. Go to an electronics store and ask for the disposable foam sheets that p.c. boards are packed in. They usually throw them away. Cut foam to fit the 3750 compartments. Regards.

13 minutes ago, 414taylor said:

Plano 3750 cases, 1/2" binders from staples, 16 pocket pages from bcw, 9 pocket pages from bcw. Go to an electronics store and ask for the disposable foam sheets that p.c. boards are packed in. They usually throw them away. Cut foam to fit the 3750 compartments. Regards.

Do you have any pictures of the 3750s?  Do they fit all of the large ships?

I have a fairly large collection and I have been pushing my 1374 pretty hard, it's gone through like seven major reorganizations to try and keep fitting it all.  Recently I have given in and moved a portion of it to another bag to free up more space, but once I get more caught up on the latest waves I'm not sure what I'll do.  I've been pretty adamant about keeping everything relevant to standard play in one place but have been slowly making concessions to realistic space constraints

For the 1374, I've got the main trays split between each faction and the fourth tray holds various game components. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p58pomkqq3gbbj0/20170624_093058.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaz3h2dfsgknbg9/20170624_093111.jpg?dl=0

The top compartment holds some of the larger ships that I can't fit in the trays, plus a smaller tray that mostly holds the various essential tokens needed to play the game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37t2a7ef95gfiky/20170624_093306.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8wv1o1zwjglkn1/20170624_093344.jpg?dl=0

In their own bag I also have all my cards, ship bases, and dials, divided by faction with the Scum binder also holding all the upgrade cards since it has the most room available.  I recently reorganized these binders with a new system that is kind of hard to describe but makes it way easier to set up and put away by prioritizing the ease of connecting pilot cards with their ship bases.  I could try to describe it if anyone is interested but otherwise won't take the time here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43hgz9huhnw1kbf/20170624_093621.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/he51lc3ikkkyrfx/20170624_093708.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta2pozxlk7fvdb9/20170624_093815.jpg?dl=0

as for epic ships and the various epic/mission tokens, they currently live in a plastic crate in my closet that has previously held such treasures as my lego and micro machine / action fleet collections as a child.  Only fitting that it still gets used to hold toys.

Sorry that these pictures turned out 1000 times worse than I expected but I'm too lazy to retake them lol.  Also not pictured, three core set boxes full of extra shield/focus/TL/number/etc tokens

Edited by Effenhoog

The full set goes in cheap large tackle boxes. The kind with drawers that don't remove.just slide out. It makes organisation easy.

Cards. Are all in binders.

I wony do a glass display until I'm mostly retired from this game. Display cases are where things go that don't get used.

Sorry, no pics. The cases fit large ships except the ghost,upsilon shuttle, and yv666. Go to Walmart or a.c. Moore or cabelas. Take some minis with you to test fit. At cabelas, you can buy a 4 pack with carry bag for approximately 40.00 usd. Walmart sells a similar case called 'creative options in the hobby/craft section.

I also have battlefoam.  It's pricey but nice. Being able to customize my trays was a big plus. 

I bought one of their largest bags so I still have room for 2 or 3 more trays.

Incidentally I should probably order one now that I think about it as the ships from the past two waves should fill one up.

1 hour ago, blitzhill said:

So, I have about 15 new ships still stored in their boxes because my Plano 1374 is full, not to mention epic ships.  How is everyone storing their whole collection?  Searching for storage collections either yields results that are years old or very small collections, often only 1 of each ship or only owning about half the ships available.  

I'm currently debating between more 1374s, Feldherr foam for everything in a big tote, and a glass display case.  What does everyone else use?

Feldherr Foam (for transport and long-term storage), glass display case for showcase and a few feldherr bags. 
I hate the XL cardboard boxes to store most of my models under the cabinet, an ikea showcase for a few models for the living room and well, Feldherr bags for tournament play. I am wondering if I should now get a few more maxi bags or better the Feldherr Transporter (which is basically a large bag, build to fit those cardboard boxes into it). The Transporter is dirt cheap as it stores two XL boxes, which again store 150mm of double size foam, so the 40€ transporter would allow me to take 600mm of full size foam with me to events in just one bag, this does covers close to a full collection and would give me plenty of growth space when combined with my already existing bags. At the other hand, I don't usually play epic at all, nor do I need my whole collection with me, even when I do play epic, maybe I just another grab maxi bag for transport. 

Either way, outside of the shadowcaster and the upsilon foams, I am quite happy with feldherr. I do envy newcomers a little bit, because the updated raider storage seems to the more efficient configuration, storing the imperial gozanti, upsilon shuttle and raider in the same full size foam is great, but at the other hand it is great that Feldherr is updating their foam to better configurations when new waves are released. 

Here the transporter bags I mentioned: https://www.feldherr.net/hobby-transporter-empty-with-shoulder-strap/a-43703/
The transporter is imo the way to go if you want to move really big collections in a efficient and reasonably cheap way, while staying with Feldherr, which are imo the best for tournament bags and foam. 

For just home storage the cardboard either from feldherr or even just from ikea are fine. I am a little bit pedantic, so the feldherr card boxes at 13€ a piece are reasonably enough priced and have solid quality, so I take those because they fit not only the foam perfectly, but as well perfectly below my cabinet. https://www.feldherr.net/feldherr-double-size-storage-box-xl-empty/a-56338/

1 hour ago, clanofwolves said:

I'm a Battlefoam C4 honk for the fact they're foam, customizable and have a intergral binder for card sleeves and large pouch for templates and asteroids. Foam thickness is custom too, 1 1/2" is standard, can stack T-65s, Y's, A-Wings, etc in single slots. Cost a bit? Yep. Keeps everything uber safe and compact? Yep. Do I get commission? Sadly, nope.

You can not underestimate the advantage of custom foam for getting everything stored in a compact way. If space would be limited for me, I totally would have went with the more expensive custom foam options over Feldherr, but having all my models ready with their usual base, cardboard, etc is super handy when time and not space is constriction, setting up out of a feldherr bag is super quick and it is simply a comfortable solution when taking a few lists to the local club or tournaments. 

But especially with battle foam you really pay for the extra compact form and while the integrated card binder is cool, I must admit, that I am really fond of my ultimate guard xenoskin binders, I like the haptic and quality build of them. Speaking of quality, either way, I can recommend those ultra guard side-loading double sided pages, they are really worlds apart from the usual ultra pro pages. And the special x-wing pages to store a pilot together with some upgrade cards is fantastic. Just grab them out of the binder in a fly ready configuration, tournament ready and protected. The compact 14-pocket ones fit perfectly fine in a half-size feldherr bag. 

http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/binders-folders/pocket-pages/14-pocket-standard-mini-american.html

http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/binders-folders/pocket-pages/32-pocket-standard-mini-american.html

Edited by SEApocalypse

20 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

You can not underestimate the advantage of custom foam for getting everything stored in a compact way. If space would be limited for me, I totally would have went with the more expensive custom foam options over Feldherr, but having all my models ready with their usual based, cardboard, etc is super handy when time and not space is constriction, setting up out of a feldherr bag is super quick and it is simply a comfortable solution when taking a few lists to the local club or tournaments. 

But especially with battle foam you really pay for the extra compact form and while the integrated card binder is cool, I must admit, that I am really fond of my ultimate guard xenoskin binders, I like the haptic and quality build of them. Speaking of quality, either way, I can recommend those ultra guard side-loading double sided pages, they are really worlds apart from the usual ultra pro pages. And the special x-wing pages to store a pilot together with some upgrade cards is fantastic. Just grab them out of the binder in a fly ready configuration, tournament ready and protected. The compact 14-pocket ones fit perfectly fine in a half-size feldherr bag. 

http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/binders-folders/pocket-pages/14-pocket-standard-mini-american.html

http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/binders-folders/pocket-pages/32-pocket-standard-mini-american.html

I also did battlefoam, love the product and designed my own trays for maximum use of space. My one gripe, and this comes with experience, I could have gotten 1/2 inch foam for many of the fighters and they would have fit just fine. I could have got 2 more trays in my 720 at least and still need a pack plus for the bottom for epic and overflow. It is **** sexy to have everything in a quality bag though. Can't recommend any of the custom bags enough. 

4 minutes ago, 414taylor said:

Even though the foam really protects,having factions mixed together is confusing to me. Why doesn't this company make foam so all the minis for each faction store together?

If you're referring to mine I custom made the layouts to maximize space for my collection.

The premade ones are mostly if not entirely faction specific. 

I've said this many times before, but if you're looking for mass storage on a budget then nothing beats these cases from Home Depot.

You get two of them for less than US$10, so they're already cheaper than just about anything else out there, but the best part is that they stack and lock together so as your collection grows you just buy a couple more cases and add them to the stack. The only downside I can think of is that they won't hold Epic ships (or most of them anyway, I haven't tried smaller ones like the Transport). 

Over half the players at my FLGS has and uses them now. They're just so hard to beat. ;)

14 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

I've said this many times before, but if you're looking for mass storage on a budget then nothing beats these cases from Home Depot.

You get two of them for less than US$10, so they're already cheaper than just about anything else out there, but the best part is that they stack and lock together so as your collection grows you just buy a couple more cases and add them to the stack. The only downside I can think of is that they won't hold Epic ships (or most of them anyway, I haven't tried smaller ones like the Transport). 

Over half the players at my FLGS has and uses them now. They're just so hard to beat. ;)

Any pictures of your collection using them?  And how many ships do you have?  

I use the stanley click n connect boxes for Armada, so I definitely understand the benefit of the stack together and expandability.

56 minutes ago, blitzhill said:

Any pictures of your collection using them?  And how many ships do you have?  

I use the stanley click n connect boxes for Armada, so I definitely understand the benefit of the stack together and expandability.

Oh wow, okay, here you go. As you can see my collection is reaching the point where it desperately needs to be reorganized. In the past I've liked keeping everything I need for a ship together (model, base, dial, cardboard) but I'm thinking I should redo things and separate them out a bit (a layout something like what @clanofwolves has up there). Also, I'm waiting my FLGS to get some of the 16-slot binder pages back in stock so I can get all the upgrade cards out of the case. 

Up until recently I had each faction in its own box, with a 4th boxes for the general stuff (range rulers, obstacles, dice, etc), but with my recent purchase of Heroes of the Resistance and a few other ships my Rebel collection has outgrown its case. Imperials are only 1 or 2 expansions away from needing a new case, too. 

Oh and you asked about the size of my collection. I've never actually counted before... lets see here...

small ships: 55

Large ships: 9

Huge ships (not pictures because they're stored separately): 3

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jhs9aotqcewvmzn/AACZwwPIpnBgU5StJWwgYOzfa?dl=0

Edited by Herowannabe
Issues uploading images, so I just linked to a dropbox folder instead