SirWillibald

New expansion! Streets of Arkham

Also finished Astral Alchemy, sort of. Mandy Thomson got eaten by a hound of Tindalos, so the rest of us fled before the Cthonian finished us off. Just barely ran out of time before delivering the final ingredient.

Edited by JorduSpeaks

Just got my box and have to chime in on the comments regarding the minis! A really noticeable improvement! The details, proportions and especially casting is much better than previously!

This is pretty great I think, as the quality of the minis was my main complaint of the game previously (since the game could be played just as easy or even easier without minis at all to be fair, so the minis really need to justify their existence).

Now if only we could get the stats and abilities of the monsters available in the app (like in Descent), then the game could be played without those cardboard monster tiles at all, which would be awesome for those of us who use small bases instead of the huge ones included in the game. :P

9 hours ago, JorduSpeaks said:

Also finished Astral Alchemy, sort of. Mandy Thomson got eaten by a hound of Tindalos, so the rest of us fled before the Cthonian finished us off. Just barely ran out of time before delivering the final ingredient.

That's interesting. Ours didn't involve either of those monsters. :)

So we played all 3 this weekend. Astral Alchemy and The Exhibit were both finished with wins. The latter saw 1 investigator lose due to an unfulfilled insanity condition. 

The Gangs Scenario (labeled as the easiest) saw one of our three investigators completely lose it I'm guessing about a little less that halfway through.  It's a long one, and it feels like the longer the scenario, even if it is easy, the more the damage and horror can accumulate and really mess you up over time. Additionally, one very very bad turn is all it takes to wipe someone out. I wish there were some easier ways to heal or find time to do so. Even if you had to forfeit your turn to discard a facedown horror/damage. I don't want to have to rely on taking Carolyn and Vincent with me to every 3+ hour scenario just to make sure we can last that long, haha.

Oh well, I suppose we'll just have to try again. If you're curious, Tommy and Sister Mary were still alive, but Jenny went crazy. Even with her action ability, she just could not erase enough horror to get her back to salvageable. 

Edited by Soakman

I've been a staunch supporter of FFGs Arkham Horror Files games up until the news of this release. 

After the figure base debacle with the core game and the dismissive responses from FFG customer service, my enthusiasm for 2e was severely diminished. 

The cost of this expansion, and the seemingly minimal physical content, has me voting with my wallet. 

Landed cost here in Australia is nearly $100 Aus. That is blatant price gouging and I refuse to be a victim. The $7.99 Aus DLC price is steep enough, but they are now trying to charge core game prices for expansions.

This is me, voting with my wallet, and FFG, I'm not alone... 

I am VERY disappointed at this apparent change in FFGs customer service, and pricing models.

If Asmodee hadn’t strangled the online distribution of their products, I might agree with you. 

As it stands, IF you can find a retailer that ships to Australia and NZ, you pay about the same (or more in some cases) compared to the Aussie retail price once the shipping is added in. 

Someone along the distribution chain is pushing the envelope to see what the market will bear in the way of retail cost and shipping.  Similar behaviour damaged Games Workshop’s reputation severely in recent years. If Asmodee aren’t careful, they could end up in the same boat. If its the logistics companies, then FFG/Asmodee should be acting to protect their interests and reputation  

I don’t like not buying the games. Its only this year that I’ve stopped buying everything in the AH Files range that FFG have released. If they won’t act to equalise retail prices, they will have to deal with lost revenue. 

4 hours ago, JorduSpeaks said:

Considering that markup is more than 25% of the US cost, I suspect there may be some tax issues there. Maybe instead of voting with your wallet, you should vote with your ... vote.

In Australia we call it the 'Australia Tax', but that is a joke name, it is the tax that companies apply because they can.  Doing a 'grey import' and importing yourself is often cheaper despite having to pay much more for individual shipping (and there are issues with returns).  It is particularly obvious when buying digital games or DLC, particularly as we are often changed in USD and there is (currently) no tax on these purchases yet we get charged more USD because.... reasons.

1 hour ago, JorduSpeaks said:

While it's true that Australians pay more Australian dollars than Americans pay in US dollars for the DLC, the exchange rate makes it about the same. 

5USD is 7 AUD, 8 AUD is 15% more.

2K is a good example:

https://www.steamprices.com/au/s/afeoZX?p=1

All USD, most cost more in AU.  It is usually worse during the launch window (Often 50 USD in US, 90 USD here).

Bruce's accounting of the situation here is accurate. As I mentioned earlier, it seems that the pricing envelope is being pushed to see how far they can go before revenue starts to drop off. Well they hit the high water mark for me with this expansion. I will be sending a polite email to FFG telling them why I won't be purchasing.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:44 PM, Soakman said:

Good luck! Alas, poor Becky.

I finally got to prepping my Investigator minis for painting last night (after finishing painting up all the new monster minis), and good news!  Becky came out of the hot water dip as good as new.

Just in case you guys were as worried about her as I was.  :D

Just finished Astral Alchemy. Great scenario overall!

SPOILERS AHEAD:
+I was enthused to see something like a manipulable doom track in this scenario. Well done!
-The two-part evidence was a bit confusing. If two different investigators (most likely so) find one piece each, who turns it in? The wording seem to imply whoever got the last piece because that investigator gets the actual evidence card, but it just feels a bit... awkward? Like the mechanics of the scenario weren't made to match the description.  

The barricades never got used, but the result was a win anyway (one got insane but as it turned out it had no effect), so i guess that¨'s viable strategy. Besides, star vampires have phasing. 
The monsters we stumbled upon were mostly the seemingly scenario specific skeletons and star vampires (both had good text descriptions, i think), and some good oldies, 1 byakhee, 1chtonian, and 1 mi-go. 
We obtained forced learning and implant suggestion, but never had the time to fool around with those. I assume they would prove more useful in a game with more than just 2 investigators. 

Super nitpicky thing to say: It felt a little bit like a budget squeeze to reuse cards like "forensic evidence" for the monster trophy, and the all the other evidence too, but i guess it works at a purely functional level.  

In all else, i've got nothing else to say except it was a great scenario. 

The box in general:
Seems very decent. It's hard to measure the value of the digital mythos "cards", but it kept the game fresh. I was first taken back a bit by the price, but i think i'm satisfied at this point. Looking forward to play the other two, + have some of these new things infused into the older scenarios.

MoM2ed is starting to feel pretty lush with content.  

18 hours ago, Aelitafrommars said:

Just finished Astral Alchemy. Great scenario overall!

SPOILERS AHEAD:

We obtained forced learning and implant suggestion, but never had the time to fool around with those. I assume they would prove more useful in a game with more than just 2 investigators. 

Implant suggestion seems particularly useful if you have Marie Lambeau but that's a test for another time (if we get lucky)

Great idea! We chose her, had the luck to get the spell in question as a starter card, and it worked wonders until we couldn't resist splitting up :D 

Some more notes on the new expansion:

I think the improvement system works well. You may find ways to get your stats better, but it may also involve wasting your time, so it's a gamble. Also, (spoiler warning for a mechanical aspect), you might suddenly find yourself a target for malign mythos events if you have at least one improvement. So choose wisely if and when and what. 

10 hours ago, Aelitafrommars said:

Great idea! We chose her, had the luck to get the spell in question as a starter card, and it worked wonders until we couldn't resist splitting up :D 

Jealous, haha. I don't even know what the backs of this spell does yet as I haven't used it.

Hi. Can someone upload or send me the rulebook for this expansion? I didn't got one in my box. Thanks in advance. Asking FFG for a replacement isn't really an option since I don't live in the US.

Won't scan the IP of FFG, but there's not much in the leaflet you need to know. 

Most important:
-Face up elixirs are possessions and can be dropped. Face-down elixirs are not possesions and can't be dropped. 

-Discarded elixirs are returned to the deck. 

-You cannot place more than one improvement token on each of your investigators' skill. 
-Naturally, they're not possessions. 

19 hours ago, Kifoe said:

Hi. Can someone upload or send me the rulebook for this expansion? I didn't got one in my box. Thanks in advance. Asking FFG for a replacement isn't really an option since I don't live in the US.

I don't live in the US either, and any time I've got a problem with one of their games, they sent me the replacements. So, mail them :)

The app tells you, even if you don't own the product.  Astral Alchemy 4 90-120min. Gangs 3 180-240min. Exhibit 5 120-180min

Edited by JWCinNC
typo

As for the difficulty: Astral Alchemy is probably the toughest (and not by chance I imagine is the shortest), it comes with a few keypoints you really don't want to mess up with. Exhibit is more about wit than about guns, so, it's bloody difficult or bloody fun, depends on how much you're good at intelligence tests; Gangs is the easiest and also the longest: not a huge replayability imo but quite a good story