Klawtu

Why is your clan so awesome?

I think the biggest reason the Unicorn weren't more popular is that, in a setting where many come for Katana-wielding badassery, the Unicorn, for the most part, don't wield Katana. 

It's the same reason why non-lightsaber-wielding classes in Star Wars games are always the least played.

28 minutes ago, Rawls said:

I think the biggest reason the Unicorn weren't more popular is that, in a setting where many come for Katana-wielding badassery, the Unicorn, for the most part, don't wield Katana. 

It's the same reason why non-lightsaber-wielding classes in Star Wars games are always the least played.

That was later. Originally it was samurai armor and weapons all the way (except for bows i think)

Edited by Kuni Katsuyoshi

Unicorn feels super popular by me. But no, not much discussion on here.  I think they are, at least here, fairly well understood:  "Mongol horde on Horses."

You will get less argument about that then any other clan.

3 hours ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

I can accept the Scorpion being more savvy in court than the likes of the Crab, Dragon, (Mantis), and Phoenix, if for no other reason than they end up spending more time there.
I have a hard time accepting that they are more savvy than the Ide and Ikoma, however. Hear me out:

The Ide have had to master politics to a level that allows them to make friends and calm enemies in an untold number of situations, Rokugani or otherwise, and as such will have a political arsenal under their belt that should outdo even the Doji (though Doji plot armor ensures that it never does, lol).
The Ikoma I'd place somewhat on par, if not a lil superior to the Bayushi, simply because most of the warfare between the Lion and Crane happens in the courts... because the Crane make it that way by playing their game. With the Lion/Crane enmity being the hottest in the empire (it always is), that means the Ikoma end up facing down Doji constantly, which makes for tons of experience.

The Bayushi are powerful because they show up to a fistfight with a katana (blackmail, poison, secrets they're not supposed to know, etc.).

Or put another way.

The Crane are powerful politicaly because they created the rules.

The Scorpion are powerful politicaly because they know how to break those rules.

Everyone else has to play the Cranes game.

Edited by Kuni Katsuyoshi

4 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Realistically, when it comes to overall courtly acumen, i put the Crane and Scorpion on top as Yin and Yang. Crab mostly on the bottom (because they don't care), and everyone else as roughly equally capable and invested.

Correction, Crab don't have the time to do so. In order to keep most of the Shadowlands away from the Empire, they have to sacrifice something, which is the time to do political. It's a task Crab decided to do with very few recognitions by the Empire, except for the Scorpion, who understood it once they had to deal with the second festering pit.

I will agree that Crab are at the bottom of the political aspect though.

16 minutes ago, Crawd said:

Correction, Crab don't have the time to do so. In order to keep most of the Shadowlands away from the Empire, they have to sacrifice something, which is the time to do political. It's a task Crab decided to do with very few recognitions by the Empire, except for the Scorpion, who understood it once they had to deal with the second festering pit.

I will agree that Crab are at the bottom of the political aspect though.

Agreed - I love me some Yasuki dishonor shenanigans though!

Unicorn goes, I find the Ide far more fascinating as courtier's than the Crane. Any RP I play I go for Ide. Even found one of side books for fourth ed that was pretty much pacifist Ide, where they refused to draw their sword at all.

But yeah, the Ide kind of gets lost beneath the Utaku, and Shinjo, and Moto, a lot.

5 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Unicorn goes, I find the Ide far more fascinating as courtier's than the Crane. Any RP I play I go for Ide. Even found one of side books for fourth ed that was pretty much pacifist Ide, where they refused to draw their sword at all.

But yeah, the Ide kind of gets lost beneath the Utaku, and Shinjo, and Moto, a lot.

Maybe they'll bring Tadaji back.:)

I was trying to think of the best way to put my love of the Phoenix and struggled. I'm not big on magic or spells in most settings, but the Shiba are such a cool concept to me and they always look rad. 

That being said, I actually played Unicorn longer and with more variation than I did Phoenix. They were the clan that didn't look like samurai and still managed to get bloody and break things. For both my clans the aesthetic was a big part of it for me since, well, I'm gonna be looking at their cards all day so I might as well enjoy it. 

Also way back in the day there was a certain charm to using Chagatai to get an extra province. Ah, the memories...

33 minutes ago, WHW said:

Remember, Hida himself got ganked by Shinjo so hard that he got depressed and had to be convinced that his true strength is in the fact that he gets back up no matter what. 

Shinsei gave Hida the Rokugani equivalent of a participation trophy. :lol:

1 hour ago, Coyote Walks said:

The mama's boy that tracked his Father's killer and got justice while the Crab did nothing?

Again proving his unworthy soul because a true son of Osano-Wo defends the empire rather than indulging in petty vengeance.

10 minutes ago, Virtigo said:

I really hope that changes in the LCG, as it would be cool to have a more diverse spread of clan popularity from what I gather has not been the case in the past. 

Crane, Scorpion, Crab, Lion, and Shadowlands tended to be the most popular based upon my (unreliable, and possibly wrong) recollection. And whaddya know, they were also the clans that showed up all the time.

The Crane, Lion, and Scorpion are what I would consider the "primary" clans for Rokugan conflict.  They all share a boarder, and none of them are allies with each other.  They cover both political and military conflict well, and have allies across the clans.  Most stories are going to center around one of these clans.

The Crab win a lot of story time because of the Shadowlands.  Any story involving oni, ogres, and goblins is sure to include the Crab whether it is bushi swinging hammers, or witch hunters tracking evil through out the empire.

The Dragon fiction revealed the PLS, and stated the Phoenix attacked them directly while the Dragon have been more passive.  I hope that we'll have a bit more religious turmoil in Rokugan and that the Phoenix and Dragon can be developed more as the philosophical leaders of Rokugan. 

The Unicorn are problematic as they are continually caste as the "foreigner" even though they've been back in Rokugan for a while...  I wouldn't mind seeing them developed as having a continued relationship with the burning sands.  We can see them perhaps engaging in foreign wars (and bringing some other clans with them on occasion) as well as trading with them.  They could also serve as the primary diplomats outside Rokugan, where the Crane are masters of the court inside Rokugan.

Then if the Unicorn got involved in a conflict within the empire they could show up with all kinda of unique allies.  Maybe instead of having better archers (something that didn't always fit well with the Wasp clan) they can bring in some primitive guns ^_^ 

Edited by shosuko