Klawtu

Why is your clan so awesome?

1 minute ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

I edited it, but I think there's always been an element of gender bias to the whole "Hitomi is an eeeevil beyotvh no matter what, but Yakamo is a cool heroic guy!" thing. 

When Ree Soesbee was reading the Hitomi Order's part in the Battle of Volturnum, at least a dozen men booed, shouted, and called not only Hitomi but also Ree herself some very nasty things. 

Luckily I didnt follow the fiction then.  I alway really liked Ree's writing. She was my favorite 1st ed rpg writer.

7 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Crane is the one clan that I have absolutely zero interest in playing.

I came to this game for the samurai, not the politicians :P.

Even Scorpion have ninjas!

In their defense, they do have Nerishma, who is the sole reason that I, personally, haven't removed Crane from my list of potential clans to play.

3 hours ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

Hitomi and Yakamo both made some poor choices, and both of them were rather villainous at one point or another. Both went on to rise above that.

I hope they don't this time. Just shatter that expected story arc. Possibly even give Hitomi the complete villainess billing she avoided by way of the HDM.

4 hours ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

She is going to have a major personality transplant before I consider her to be worth more than just grave filler.:P

So many, many Crab that could be transplanted into that sentence. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

Luckily I didnt follow the fiction then.  I alway really liked Ree's writing. She was my favorite 1st ed rpg writer.

Ree is a solid writer and seemed like a very nice person the few times I met her.

John Wick is still my favorite L5R writer overall, though I get that his 'tempermental artist' attitude made a lot of people dislike him (he was nice enough the two times I met him, but I could see that he might be arrogant / aggravating in lager doses). Speaking of Wick, I asked him and Rob Vaux (writer of the excellent 'Way of the Crab' 1st edition book), what Yakamo did to offend Satsu's wife. They both said Yakamo was being a drunken boor at the time, and basically harassed her. So, at least in the original conception for the story, Satsu's wife was hardly at fault.

8 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Ninjas don't exist you know? ;) However, you would be surprised how many Clans have access to ninjas. In the Old L5R, the Crane, Lion and Phoenix also had a very small organization of ninjas. So yeah, learn your enemies! ;)

Anyway, for me, I feel like almost all Clans are awesome, but for different reasons. At least, every Clan feels different, which is even better.

Just now, BitRunr said:

I hope they don't this time. Just shatter that expected story arc. Possibly even give Hitomi the complete villainess billing she avoided by way of the HDM.

Eh, the pure villain mode for Hitomi was boring and ham-fisted.

Granted, it could maybe be written in a more compelling manner if they go that route this time.

Just now, Togashi Gao Shan said:

Granted, it could maybe be written in a more compelling manner if they go that route this time.

That's the hope hanging above everything, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, BitRunr said:

cant argue with that, it's part of our charm.:)

15 minutes ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

Ree is a solid writer and seemed like a very nice person the few times I met her.

John Wick is still my favorite L5R writer overall, though I get that his 'tempermental artist' attitude made a lot of people dislike him (he was nice enough the two times I met him, but I could see that he might be arrogant / aggravating in lager doses). Speaking of Wick, I asked him and Rob Vaux (writer of the excellent 'Way of the Crab' 1st edition book), what Yakamo did to offend Satsu's wife. They both said Yakamo was being a drunken boor at the time, and basically harassed her. So, at least in the original conception for the story, Satsu's wife was hardly at fault.

I conceed the point.

As for Hitomi, until she shows some redeeming personal qualities, my negative opinion of her portrayal remains.

So now its up to the writers to alter it......or not

45 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Samurai, especially in L5R is a class of people, not a particular job.  Also, as pointed out Crane have the Daidoji, as well as the whole Kakita duelist thing, which could be argued as your whole "Samurai" thing as well.  After the Lion I would point at the Kakita as being the most "Samurai" stereotype that I believe you are thinking of.  Lion are the charging armies stereotype, Kakita are the whole duel/run at each other/Flash/Someone dies as they sheath their blade stereotype.  

(Mirumoto have the 2 swords thing, thus why I think Kakita emphasize the stereotype more)

Scorpion usually are either the strongest or second strongest political clan based on view point and story, and are full of politicians as well.  They have ninja instead of duelists and/or Harriers.  In general they tend to be a mirror of the Crane, doing the exact same thing using different methods.

Mantis

(Mind you, this is based on the Great Clan that the CCG could not survive without.:P)

We are the Scourge of the Sea.

We are the Priestesses of the Sun.

We are the Arrow that Knows the Way.

We are the Spirits of the Forest.

All Families of the Mantis started small and gathered together, proving their Greatness and the power of mortals to overcome.

And every Family of the Mantis is unapologetically Themselves.  

We love our Clan because We know who they truly are (All this in spite of how badly the old story teams have mangled us in the past).

2 hours ago, Sendatsu said:

Our Champion does not need to carry a soul other than his own, as he is a Kami.

I'm aware. That's just less interesting to me - I'd like my Champion to be somewhat relatable.

I did enjoy the fiction despite that though.

Edited by Zalari

3 hours ago, Shosuro Nasunaka said:

The scorpion clan are the only ones who accept the world for what it is, and we will do whatever we have, to save the empire. 

(Most clans will say they will, but wont do it if it could impugn their honor. That means they will not do the things we do, for the good of the empire.)

Imagine the mafia and the ninjas all working together to make the empire a better place. (if the ninja were real...)

I'm not sure  about the Scorpion being the only ones who accept the world for what it is... pragmatism in that vein is definitely also a trait of the Crab, the Unicorn, and the Mantis. 

But seeing as the Mantis are gone, I guess I'll have to throw myself behind the second best Clan. The almighty Hare!

1 hour ago, Coyote Walks said:

We are the Arrow that Knows the Way.

Please allow me to illustrate with a story.

One evening, at the Castle of the Wasp, a man calling named Azamuku came to deliver an urgent message to Tsuruchi. 

"Oh, great Tsuruchi!"  Azamuku cried, "A large force of Crane is marching on this castle, and they make their camp within sight of the walls!  Come and see!"

Tsuruchi and his aides followed Azamuku to the walls, and could indeed see in the dying light the campfires of a sizeable army.  Azamuku continued, "It is led by Daidoji Soutai, whose brother you slew in combat!  He is a duelist of no small skill and means to slay you, but he has erred!  He believes his camp out of bowshot from these ramparts, but he has not counted on the skill of Tsuruchi.  If you could kill him from here, his army would be leaderless and charging or fleeing, would be easily dealt with."

One of Tsuruchi's aides spoke up hesitantly, "My lord, if Daidoji Soutai is indeed coming in arms against our stronghold, we would be within our rights to fight."

Azamuku reminded him, "The only one you need kill is Soutai, the man who would see your family destroyed."

At this, Tsuruchi nodded and drew his bow.  He focused, and then suddenly turned and released.  The arrow sprang from the bow and through the heart of Azamuku in an instant.  All present were shocked and in great fear, and Tsuruchi himself seemed unwilling or unable to explain his actions.  He simply bade the body be properly disposed of and assured his people that they had nothing to fear that night.

In the morning, the men on the walls could see banners of parley flying in the Crane camp, which had been missed the night before.  Soutai had come seeking not war but peace, and his slaying would have been nothing short of murder, which would have turned many clans against them.  Azamuku must have seen the banners on his way to the castle, but concealed his knowledge for precisely that reason.  The people's shock turned to amazement, and they asked Tsuruchi why he targeted Azamuku instead of Soutai.

"I targeted neither," answered Tsuruchi, "Rather, I targeted, as Azamuku suggested, 'the man who would see my family destroyed'.  I may not have understood correctly who that was; but fortunately, the arrow knew the way."

Edited by JJ48

3 hours ago, Shosuro Nasunaka said:

The scorpion clan are the only ones who accept the world for what it is,

Two samurai are out walking when they come across an injured woodsman, pinned under the tree he cut.

"I accept that this man is injured," the first samurai says, "and likely to die."

"I see that this man is injured," the second samurai replies, " but I do not accept that it must be this way. I can envision a better world and I wish to make this world resemble it. Help me get the log off him."

3 hours ago, HidaYama said:

Kisada did it to save the Empire from a weak Emperor. That absolutely put his honor, family, and clan at risk.

But how about a different test of honor?  A test to actually HAVE some.  Without civility, decency, and etiquette, what is that wall supposed to be defending?  Maybe you should take a break from that wall and see what humans live like...  because living at that wall takes you away from humanity.

3 hours ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

2 hours ago, Crawd said:

Ninjas don't exist you know? ;) However, you would be surprised how many Clans have access to ninjas. In the Old L5R, the Crane, Lion and Phoenix also had a very small organization of ninjas. So yeah, learn your enemies! ;)

Anyway, for me, I feel like almost all Clans are awesome, but for different reasons. At least, every Clan feels different, which is even better.

Scorpion have ninjas that both do and don't exist.  They are both real ninjas, slipping through shadows assassinating people and vanishing into the darkness, and fake ninjas that jump around in the shade making threatening gestures and then running off defeated while the real work was done behind the scenes, while you were watching the "ninja."  There is so much story and persona flexibility in those types that I enjoy it really gives you a sense that you can tell any story and it will be believable.  I don't think any of the other clans have as much freedom to play around with their character as the Scorpion do.  For example:  In the Scorpion it's actually a thing just to be honest.

When it comes to politics - this is where Scorpion really shine.  They aren't political like the Crane, they just know how to call everyone else on their BS.

This is my favorite Scorpion story: From Kakita Ryoku's famous novel, "Winter"

It was I who asked the question, and to this day I wish I had not.  If I had my wits about me, I would have understood the consequences of my actions, but the sake in my belly made my thoughts giddy, and - I must admin - being surrounded by the most powerful men in Rokugan did not help the situation.

"So," I asked.  "What is the most important virtue a samurai may possess?"

Of course, everyone turned to pay closer attention when I addressed the room.  The first to answer me was Hida Junuro, the daimyo of the Crab.  His huge arms always made my head swim.

"Strength!" he cried.  "For a weak man is not a man at all."

Many in the room quietly nodded, but Akodo Kyuinjin was next.

"Courage," he said quite calmly.  "For even if a man is strong, should he be a coward, his strength will serve nothing but his flight."

Many more nodded at the wisdom of the Akodo, but when the Unicorn spoke up, there was naught but silence.

"Resourcefulness, I think."  said the young Shinjo Yuni.  "Strength and courage are good and well, but if a man cannot think, he cannot make use of any of his virtues."

And then suddenly, a quiet voice spoke from the crowd.  I almost did not hear it as it softly said, "Loyalty."  All turned to see Bayushi Ujiro standing in the corner, picking from the fresh sashimi on the table.  "For if a man is not loyal, all of his virtues serve your enemy."

There was a moment of tension that had filled the room as each of the daimyos, one by one, nodded in agreement.  The last to nod - of course - was the Crab.

"Pah!" he said through his thick beard.  "What does a Scorpion know of loyalty?"

The laughter was a bit louder than I was comfortable with, for I remember my nanny teaching me that it was very bad luck to laugh at a Scorpion.

Ujiro smiled under his mask - a beautiful curling mask of smoke and fire that revealed only his eyes and his lips - and walked to face the Crab.  "Would you like me to put that claim to the test?"

I must say that Hida Junuro made Ujiro look quite small, but the Scorpion did not back down.

The Crab looked down at the Scorpion and said, "A single Crab is worth a thousand Scorpions any day."

Ujiro nodded.  "Perhaps in the shadowlands."  He turned and took three steps away, then turned back to the Crab.  "But not here.  Here in our lovely hostess' winter court."  He flashed one of those brilliant smiles at me, and I blushed with the thought of what lay under that mask.

"Very well, let us test our samurai, shall we?"  Ujiro strode about the room, his scarlet robes swirling about him like the fiery smoke of his mask.  "Who is willing to test their samurai against my own?"

"What will be the test?" asked Shinjo Yuni.

"Loyalty, of course," Ujiro replied.  "Is that not the highest of all virtues?"  Ujiro directed that question to Akodo Kyuinjin.  A wise move, for he knew how the lion would answer.

"A Lion's loyalty is unconditional."

"So I hear," said Ujiro, his voice spiced with only a hint of sarcasm.  "But are you willing to put it to the test?"

"I am," said the Crab.

"As am I," said the Unicorn.

But the Lion eyed Ujiro curiously, suspecting (I supposed) that something was amiss.

"Do not hesitate too much longer, Akodo-san.  Lady Ryoko is watching, after all."  He turned to me then, his devilish smile flashing in the candlelight.  "And you will be writing all of his in your journal, will you not, Madame?"

I smiled.  "Of course I will."

He glided past me then, returning to the other daimyo.  "You heard it, my friends.  We all know that the good Lady will be publishing her journal in the spring.  We do not want the rest of Rokugan to view us as foolish..." he paused before Akodo Kyuinjin "... now do we?"

"My samurai have nothing to prove," Kyuinjin said.

Ujiro bowed to Kyuinjin.  "Very well.  I had only heard that a Lion lives by his actions ... and not his words."

Kyuinjin nodded.  "Hai."

"Very well.  Let us see if your yojimbo's actions live up to your words."

The Lion hesitated and, for a moment, I thought I saw his hand move toward his wakizashi.  Then, he bowed slightly and said curtly, "Very well."

"Excellent!" Ujiro quickly cleared the courtiers to either side of the room and lined the diamyo up against the wall facing the door.  "Then here is our contest.  We will each call our yojimbo into the room.  Then, we will give him a command."

"What command will that be?" I asked, delighted to see such a game in my court.

Ujiro smiled.  "I will demonstrated with my own yojimbo, Shunsen.  Then, each of you will follow suit.  The yojimbo who hesitates or questions his lord's command will be disqualified.  Are we in agreement?"

The other daimyo nodded, but Kyuinjin nodded last.

"Very well.  Let the game begin!"  He turned to me.  "My Lady," he said in a delicate, sweet voice, "would you be so kind as to call Shunsen into the room?"

I nodded and walked to the door of the parlor.  Just outside, the yojimbo of each of the daimyo knelt upon a sitting pillow eating warm rice.

"Shunsen," I said, and the Scorpion set down his rice, ran to me feed and bowed low.  "Your lord requires your presence."

Shunsen bowed quickly to me and ran into the room kneeling at the feet of his daimyo.

The time between the moment that Shunsen fell to his knees to the moment that Ujiro gave the command was only a breath, but in that single breath, a slow realization came upon me.  I looked at the other daimyo and saw the pure contempt in their eyes.  I felt my heart racing with the excitement of the game.  I felt the cool, winter air in my nose and against my teeth.  Then, I looked at Ujiro.

The Scorpion was not looking at his yojimbo.  His eyes were fixed on me.  I saw those eyes, and suddenly, I could hear his voice as if he were standing next to me.

Remember this, my Lady.  Remember this.

I suddenly realized what was about to occur.

It was like a nightmare.  My voice caught in my throat, and the world slowed down.  I couldn't move.  All I could do was watch Ujiro give his command as his eyes remained fixed on my own.

"Shunsen," he said

"My lord?"

"Kill me."

The Scorpion did not pause.  "Yes, my lord."

His katana was out of his saya and through Ujiro before anyone could even think of moving.  The Scorpion's body fell to the floor, his blood splattered over the other daimyo.  Then, again without pause, Shunsen fell to his knees, dropped his katana to the floor with a clatter, drew his wakizashi and fell on it.

Moments after the yojimbo had stopped twitching, the screams began.

The other daimyo stood still, their eyes on the still-=bleeding corpse of the Scorpion.

And as my wits slowly came back to me, I could think of only two things.

The first was Ujiro's voice, telling me to remember.

And the second was that my questions was the cause of his death.

Edited by shosuko

I am going to call you on your BS.  How are the Scorpion NOT political?   Scorpion don't use the policy of "cutting through the crap" to achieve their goals.  They do the opposite, they use political obfuscation and misdirection to achieve their goals, as well as just flat out coercion.  What you describe is more the Crab or Unicorn philosophy on politics.  

Crane attempt to use the inherent good in people to achieve their goals.  "Doing this is the most honorable path, therefore you should do it for me!".  Scorpion use the inherent flaws of people to achieve their goals.  "Well, if you don't want the evidence of you doing something wrong to come to light, you'll do this for me."  Both of these are abuse of politics.

Why is this box disagreeing with me and must live on the bottom of my post?

1 hour ago, shosuko said:

When it comes to politics - this is where Scorpion really shine.  They aren't political like the Crane, they just know how to call everyone else on their BS.

26 minutes ago, Devin-the-Poet said:

Hey don't forget the Dragon are pretty good at this too. 

Hey, when it comes to not just losing a battle, but jumping into a battle that had nothing to do with them, just to lose to prove a point?

I think we know who the REAL champions are.