Klawtu

Why is your clan so awesome?

Despite the title seeming a little tongue in cheek I'm not aiming to start a fight but in all honesty find myself having a hard time deciding between all the various options. I tend to both enjoy the mechanics and lore of various ccgs and am struggling to figure out what clan or clans to check out first so I figured why not ask some of the old school veterans what drew them to and kept them with their old clans? So what was it about the mechanics or lore of your favorite clan that got you to try them and made you want to stick with them?

I only got into L5R a year or two ago so others may answer better, and I love many clans but Dragon is the only one I have studied. 

1- it started as a group of outcasts. So it's members are often unique and have differing passions. 

2- the ruling family Togashi are a bunch of crazy magic tattooed monks. Many breath fire. 

3- the Mirumoto warrior family are odd because of their two swords. But they are just as often philosophers, and fight closely with their Shugenja allies. 

4- The Agasha family of Shugenja spell casters, believe a lot in understanding the world and the magic and have been said to understand things the Phoenix do not. And as long as the Phoenix don't steal them from us again than they are my favorite Shugenja, being part alchemist, and wizard priest.  Also they invented katana in this world. 

4- the Kitsuki courtiers are the best because they are not about talking pretty but instead trained in understanding. Catching lies, finding clues. Understanding what people mean. (I am personally hoping to build a Kitsuki dishonor deck) 

5- Dragon are the best because they seek understanding, value wisdom, and listening to the individual. In the past some could see the future. Were ruled over by a literal dragon God. And as long as they can find a long lasting goal they will stand as my favorite clan. 

Edited by Devin-the-Poet
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Devin-the-Poet said:

I only got into L5R a year or two ago so others may answer better, and I love many clans but Dragon is the only one I have studied. 

1- it started as a group of outcasts. So it's members are often unique and have differing passions. 

2- the ruling family Togashi are a bunch of crazy magic tattooed monks. 

3- Mirumoto family are odd because of their two swords. But they are just as often philosophers, and fight closely with their Shugenja allies. 

4- The Agasha Shugenja families believe a lot in understanding the world and the magic and have been said to understand things the Phoenix do not. And as long as the Phoenix don't steal them from us again than they are my favorite Shugenja. Also they invented katana in this world. 

4- the Kitsuki courtiers are the best because they are not about talking pretty but instead trained in understanding. Catching lies, finding clues. Understanding what people mean. (I am personally hoping to build a Kitsuki dishonor deck) 

5- Dragon are the best because they seek understanding, value wisdom, and listening to the individual. In the past some could see the future. We're ruled over by a literal dragon God. And as long as they can find a long lasting goal they will stand as my favorite clan. 

6 - Hitomi . She may be crazy as an ox, but she still rules (and kicks Yakamo´  s as-s)

Edited by Sendatsu

The Crab are best because...

1) We're the kind of guys whose duty means we face every day, every hour knowing it might be our last, but we do it anyway because no one else is going  to.

2) We're the kind of guys who can face a demon a hundred times our size and come out on top.

3) Our lifestyle is a crucible that forges exceptional individuals. No other Great Clan has as many Families or has spawned as many Minor Clans as us. And we've generated so many Divine entities they had to start calling them the Heavenly Crabs to avoid having to list them all individually.

4) While others are often divided by internal rivalries the Crab function like a well oiled machine with each specialized piece doing it's part to create a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

5) The Yasuki basically invented the Rokugani economy and no one is better at it than them. Crab Dishonor 4 life.

The Crab Clan are the defenders of the Empire. They more specifically stand the Kaui Wall separating the Empire from the Shadowlands. They big, strong, great fighters (Hida), scouts (Hiruma), specialize in magic to deal with the Shadowlands (Kuni), brilliant merchants and courtiers (Yasuki), and are unmatched engineers (Kaui). The hold strength, duty, and courage above all else. Life for Crab on the wall is a constant struggle with death being ever present. 

This life the Crab live has shaped who they are. They have little time for the beat around the bush or political nature of conversation or formalities outside of the expected levels of respect. They are brash and can be overconfident. They look down at those who enjoy thier protection from the Shadowlands, but show little or no appreciation for it. They also do not respect those clans that are not strong or rule thru strength. They understand their first priority in life is to serve as protectors of the Empire. 

Their deck tends to play defensive in nature, not absent of offense though. The deck gives buffs to defenses and can be holding heavy. When boosting power that will probably lend more towards military power, though the Yasuki are good courtiers. The Crab deck can also have some dishonor playing. 

I like they Crab because they are more like me in personality and understand the sacrifices needed to preserve the Empire. They can also individually be among the best warriors. The deck style I like because it is more straight forward. It is hear is my monster defense come and break me, but beware if you don't I will break you. I also like to has some dishonor splashed in their to bring the weak Crane and nose in the air Lion honor down to prevent honor wins or honor power boosting. 

Bottom Line: Without the Crab the Empire would not survive, as evidenced when the Lion got destroyed while standing a small section of the wall, and the Crab had to help clean up the mess while still holding their sections of the wall.

The Crab are awesome!  They man a massive wall that protects the empire from the Shadowlands, and all the Oni, Goblins, Ogres etc that want to parade into Rokugan and eat everyone.  As a result they are often more pragmatic and straightforward than other clans (some would say to the point of rudeness).  They have gigantic berserker characters who charge in and smash anything they can; craftsmen who repair the wall and build crazy war machines to fight the hordes; scouts who roam deep into the Shadowlands; and a badass family of (dishonorable) merchants who keep everyone funded and fed. 

Basically the Crab are down on the wall doing the real work so that the rest of Rokugan can have their petty squabbles about who served tea in the wrong order. ;)

hidaikarukani.jpg

I think that each of the clans has something special that makes them awesome, but Lion is my go to.  

They are the most realistic representation of actual samurai to me. I like the supernatural aspects of Rokugan but the Lion doesn't interact with those aspects too much, outside of the Kitsu, so the stories tend to be more focused on the struggle between honor, duty, and personal desire. The inner turmoil caused by those make some of the most interesting stories. There are many characters in old5R where a character is introduced as brash and prideful, suffers some consequence as a result, and comes out the other side either better for it or goes out in a blaze of deathseeker glory.

Mechanically the lion are blitzy and aggressive. I like setting the tempo for the game and making my opponent react to what I'm doing. Win or lose the game is fast and furious and forces hard decisions by both players.

I'm also a fan of cats!

16 minutes ago, Sparks Duh said:

And fail when human shadowlands just waltz right in to the empire, becomes a great clan, and claims the throne. :D

Well that hasn't happened yet in the new continuity.  In the old continuity they certainly had a spotty history as far as keeping the Shadowlands out.  Fingers crossed they can keep it together this go around :)

The Crab are great.  Who wouldn't want to be an epic monster fighter.  You get to hang out on a giant wall. Knock ogre heads off with your tetsubo. Then go high five a Nezumi.  Also you could just be a Kuni Witch Hunter and creep everyone out while hunting down corruption inside the empire.

Edited by phillos

I support everything said about the Crab above! Also I would put in Scorpion. They have secret task to protect a bunch of super powerful scrolls that saved the world an tend to be very practical. They don't fall in to the high and mighty attitudes of the Lion and Crane who just sit around accomplishing nothing as they fight back and forth. Dragon is pretty chill too. Those are the three I am going to check out.

1. The Unicorn have access to the only true warhorses in the Empire (as these were one of the many gaijin trappings they brought with them when they returned to Rokugan after exploring the world). This enables them to utilize  mobility tactics unavailable to the militaries of other clans.

2. The all-female elite of the Unicorn cavalry, the Utaku Battle Maidens, are foremost in combating the idea that their clan, being partially gaijin, are without a Rokugani sense of honor. The Utaku family is traditionally seen as among the most honorable families in Rokugan, and the Battle Maidens are respected for their skill in poetry, while also having the fearful reputation of riding into battle in complete silence, letting the thundering of their horses' hooves be their only warcries.

3. When the Great Clans find themselves at war with one another, it is the lower castes who inevitably suffer in the process. The Unicorn, after centuries of learning the ways of foreign empires, accept diversity far more than any clan, excepting perhaps the Dragon, and recognize that all Rokugani, from the loftiest daimyo to the lowliest eta, have an important purpose in society. They therefore uphold Compassion as their primary Bushido virtue, and do their best to avoid taking advantage of the peasants in their territories.

Edited by Ide Yoshiya

6 minutes ago, Ide Yoshiya said:

1. The Unicorn have access to the only true warhorses in the Empire (as these were one of the many gaijin trappings they brought with them when they returned to Rokugan after exploring the world). This enables them to utilize  mobility tactics unavailable to the militaries of other clans.

2. The all-female elite of the Unicorn cavalry, the Utaku Battle Maidens, are foremost in combating the idea that their clan, being partially gaijin, are without a Rokugani sense of honor. The Utaku family is traditionally seen as among the most honorable families in Rokugan, and the Battle Maidens are respected for their skill in poetry, while also having the fearful reputation of riding into battle in complete silence, letting the thundering of their horses' hooves be their only warcries.

3. When the Great Clans find themselves at war with one another, it is the lower castes who inevitably suffer in the process. The Unicorn, after centuries of learning the ways of foreign empires, accept diversity far more than any clan, excepting perhaps the Dragon, and recognize that all Rokugani, from the loftiest daimyo to the lowliest eta, have an important purpose in society. They therefore uphold Compassion as their primary Bushido virtue, and do their best to avoid taking advantage of the peasants in their territories.

No matter how cool their back story, I was pretty tired of their dang cavalry blowing up my provinces in Emperor, so I probably could never play them.

Since it will likely be a long time before the Sparrow get their props for being the honest and humble storytellers they are. Stick with the Crab. Even their opening in the Way of the Crab is metal.

"Something bearing my father's face and weeping my mother's tears comes clawing up from the depths, screaming for me to join them. I feel its talons against my armor, snapping leather and metal as if they were origami. I reach for my tetsubo as I hear its hideous laugh, and I know that one blow is all it will allow before it tears the entrails from my bones.

And you sit in your palace and lecture me on courage.

The dismal stink of the Shadowlands surrounds my companions and me. A towering oni grabs a pair of bushi and shakes them like children's dolls, snapping their bones into powder. I hear their pleas for help and ignore them, knowing that I am condeming them to a fate worse than death. My daimyo is depending upon me to escape this horror, or else hundreds more will die as my companions have.

And you lie in your garden and tell me about duty.

The wall stretches a thousand leagues long, filled with samurai preparing for siege. A sea of goblins stands before me, howling unnameable curses into the air. As they begin to cross the river, I hear that the Crane have launched another foray against our brothers to the north. Yet I can do nothing but stay where I am and ensure that no goblin escapes to terrorize the same Cranes who steal our land.

And you stand in your silk robes and explain to me what honor is.

You are children playing games to fill your empty lives. You are infants squealing over your toys, pretending that nothing else holds meaning in this world. You are old women hunched around the fire, telling yourselves that the shadows beyond cannot hurt you.
I am the Crab. I have witnessed horrors that you could scarcely imagine and watched the death of enough samurai to fill a hundred battlefields. I have seen what lies beyond the soft confines of this make-believe kingdom, and I am charged with ensuring that your dream does not dissolve into nightmare. I am the sole and only protector of your pathetic existence.

So laugh at me if you will. Mock my uncouth behavior, start at my crude language. But do not speak to me of courage, little man. Do not speak to me of duty or honor. You haven't the slightest idea what they mean."

The Crab are awesome but don't take my word for it. Read these.

Kanshi Robert by Denton
http://www.kazenoshiro.com/2012/03/10/kanshi/
Good little Wife by Ree Soesbe
http://www.lowfierce.com/kazenoshiro/4/wife.htm
Truest Test by Shawn Carman
http://www.kazenoshiro.com/kazenoshiro/5/truest.php

Why I Love The Phoenix In Spite of Everything-

The Phoenix Clan has a serious, serious PR problem, a story in the old setting so fragmentary and inconsistent that our fanbase is arguably the least unified in the game, and a truly pathetic track record in AEG's story when it comes to inter-clan conflict.

And none of that matters.

Some people will tell you the Phoenix are cool because they have access to truly insane levels of magic... and they do, but it's not why they appeal.

Some people who love incredibly stupid and limited narrative devices will tell you the Phoenix lust for power and dabbling in blood sorcery is what makes them cool. They're, you know, wrong, but whatever.

No, the Phoenix have my loyalty because they're just a bunch of jerks trying desperately to do the right thing. Other clans dabble in forbidden lore for the sake of ambition or revenge- Phoenix corrupt themselves because they honestly believe they're doing the right thing for the Empire. Other clans march into wars for pride, for honor, for glory- the Phoenix do it to prove points they consider essential to the Empire's well-being.

Their most selfish acts tend to have an air of selflessness about them, and while they've produced a few outright villains over the years,  for the most part, the Phoenix are at their best- and their worst- when acting for what they see as the good of the Empire.

Also, the Shiba are categorically awesome.

Edited by Shiba Gunichi

19 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Why I Love The Phoenix In Spite of Everything-

The Phoenix Clan has a serious, serious PR problem, a story in the old setting so fragmentary and inconsistent that our fanbase is arguably the least unified in the game, and a truly pathetic track record in AEG's story when it comes to inter-clan conflict.

And none of that matters.

Some people will tell you the Phoneix are cool because they have access to truly insane levels of magic... and they do, but it's not why they appeal.

Some people who love incredibly stupid and limited narrative devices will tell you the Phoenix lust for power and dabbling in blood sorcery is what makes them cool. They're, you know, wrong, but whatever.

No, the Phoenix have my loyalty because they're just a bunch of jerks trying desperately to do the right thing. Other clans dabble in forbidden lore for the sake of ambition or revenge- Phoenix corrupt themselves because they honestly believe they're doing the right thing for the Empire. Other clans march into wars for pride, for honor, for glory- the Phoenix do it to prove points they consider essential to the Empire's well-being.

Their most selfish acts tend to have an air of selflessness about them, and while they've produced a few outright villains over the years,  for the most part, the Phoenix are at their best- and their worst- when acting for what they see as the good of the Empire.

Also, the Shiba are categorically awesome.

To be fair, Crab teamed up with the Shadowlands Horde because they thought the rest of the empire was going to crap, and figured "Hey, if we just conquer everyone, and then kick out the shadowlands, everything would be far better for everyone."  Except they were mislead by Kuni Yori.

I also want to say the justification of the Scorpion Clan Coup was similar, except tainted by Ambition.

So the Phoenix do it because they are just short-sighted and make poor choices, instead of being tricked by a power tainted object?

1 hour ago, Suzume Urusai said:

Even their opening in the Way of the Crab is metal.

I actually had a good laugh when I first read through it. It kinda does the same thing as Bearers of Jade: it tries so hard to describe the situation of the Crab Clan that it unwittingly swings to the other side and gives the reader a glimpse of why the Crab is doing everything totally wrong. At which point, thankfully to the lack of sarcasm, the whole thing becomes its own caricature. 

I would love to say the Scorpion are the best in the empire, but that would be a lie.  Lies are unbecoming, and divisive.  Instead I'd say just choose any clan that isn't Crane.  Crane are a superficial clan with a flawed philosophy.  You may win with a Crane deck because they are OP, but no one will respect you for it.  They have a long standing history of winning by quick honor rush decks that have little engagement in the game, and the stigma isn't likely to fade.  There are some interesting characters in the Crane but ultimately they are flat an unimpressive.

The Lion have the fued between Akodo Toturi, and Matsu Tsuko to enjoy.  You will be able to field tactical abilities, as well as swarming strength in numbers easier than other clans.  The Crab have the wall to defend, and the most versatile of all clans for resources to play with.  Strong characters, strong fortifications, and a resolution to fight or die like no other Samurai.  The Phoenix and Dragon both have unique ways of mysticism that let you control the conflicts in MIL and POL equally well.  Unicorn have the Utaku which have always been an awesome point in game and in fiction - A full regiment of women who are trained to ride over their opponents and deal death where they see it deserved.

Scorpion are cool too, don't get me wrong - but you'd know if you wanted to play them.  We know it before we know the game...

2 hours ago, Klawtu said:

Despite the title seeming a little tongue in cheek I'm not aiming to start a fight but in all honesty find myself having a hard time deciding between all the various options. I tend to both enjoy the mechanics and lore of various ccgs and am struggling to figure out what clan or clans to check out first so I figured why not ask some of the old school veterans what drew them to and kept them with their old clans? So what was it about the mechanics or lore of your favorite clan that got you to try them and made you want to stick with them?

Well, congratulations, you finally got me to make an account. I've been lurking since FFG bought the game, and well, that's enough about that.

1) Magic: The Phoenix clan are the undisputed masters of elemental and void magic alike. When it comes to investing time and effort into research, they are the masters, and they have the bonuses of having founded the art of the shugenja in Rokugan via their completely mortal ancestor Isawa, and having the bloodlines most heavily invested with the ability to communicate with the kami (and depending on the writers, to develop void shugenja as well). Whether you want to be the closest thing L5R has to a wizard, or you're drawn more to the idea of communicating with your world's elemental spirits and working with them to enforce your will on the universe (and the will of your clan), rather than do so through brute-force methods like physical labour or direct combat, the spiritual magic of the Phoenix is the best in Rokugan.

2) Problem solving: The Phoenix do not throw lives away futilely, not even those of their enemies, if a peaceful solution is possible for a problem, they will in all likelihood try and find it; this is not to say that the Phoenix are HYPER PACIFISTS (all-caps necessary), like some of the lore has historically emphasized, but that they prefer peaceful solutions. They also are one of the Empire's trouble-shooter clans (along with the Scorpion, and the Crab), which is to say that their job is to resolve problems within their personal specialty (in their case that's magical/spiritual problems or enemies). Related to their job as trouble-shooters, they really don't like other clans messing with their specialty business, or worse, weakening the Empire at a time when a supernatural danger is more pressing (or even potentially weakening the Empire's defence against the supernatural in the further future, such as by destroying knowledge).

3) Hold nothing back: The lore doesn't emphasize this enough in the past to suit me, but it's a theme that the Phoenix do what they feel is necessary for their job, for fighting wars, and for their efforts to keep the peace between other clans (though sometimes they're presented as doing so in times when it probably isn't their business: meaning when the Empire is not facing serious threats). The Phoenix are still a bunch of sword-wielding, universally trained, nobility-cross-soldier that the samurai of Rokugan represent, they're just backed up by more magical punch than most. So in a serious dispute, when it comes to war, the Phoenix wield fewer and smaller armies, but their synergistic use of magic backs that up to make them one of the more potentially threatening military clans (after the Lion, Unicorn, and Crab), though given the need for balance lore-wise that edge makes them roughly on par with every other clan (magic being a strong force-multiplier against more purely militant clans, while not protecting them excessively from the dishonourable tools of the Scorpion, keeping even with the Dragon's own mysticism infused tricks, and of course the Crane are the weakest clan). They also don't hold back fighting maho, or shadowlands, or any other supernatural enemy, because to do so could spell disaster for the Empire. At least, they shouldn't, but the lore has tripped them up often enough (with pacifism as a go-to reason for them to hesitate or make slow decisions).

4) Clean themes: the Phoenix have only 3 families by default, though we can't know if FFG might give them another in the meantime. That means each family's theme is kept independent easily in terms of class (courtier, with a monk subtheme, shugenja, and bushi; for the Asako, Isawa, and Shiba respectively), but also gives them distinct niches in the lore despite shared themes of pacifism, scholarship, small population, and such. Distinctly, each family has a specific responsibility they have inherited from their kami. The Asako pursue a special kind of enlightenment and power available only to mortals. The Isawa both pursue and contain knowledge, including the forbidden, to protect the Empire, and expand their power. The Shiba humble themselves in serving the Isawa, while pursuing their own way of uniting philosophy and the ways of a warrior, and accumulating knowledge for the font that is the Soul of Shiba (essentially the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of every clan Champion going back to the founder). You'll notice that all their distinct roles have an element of scholarship to them, which for me is the premiere selling point, as I'm a scholar and voracious reader. Unfortunately all of their distinct 'jobs' they've gotten from their kami are subjec to change in the new lore potentially, with the Soul of Shiba, the Asako secrets, and Shiba family spiritual roundedness all being particularly vulnerable imo, since we don't have enough nu5r lore to go on in deciding if they still exist.

5) Bushido: If I were writing this for any clan, I'd have a section on Bushido. Every clan's distinctive take, and emphasis, on the code is interesting to me. With 7 tenets I want to kind of make an argument here, linking the Phoenix not to Compassion, but to Courtesy. This also links to their so-called Pacifism (capital unfortunately often emphasized), which I dislike whenever it's taken to an extreme (and is a big part of why I thought hard about picking Phoenix to represent in nu5r instead of their cousins in the Scorpion). I don't see the Phoenix as hardline pacifists, with some ideal of Compassion set on a pedestal that means they want to keep every single person alive, treat them with respect, and do good by everybody. How I see it is that the Phoenix are paragons of Courtesy. They are samurai, so they have enemies, rivals, or just threats (the other clans are, at minimum, always a potential threat). Instead of undermining those enemies in court however, or seeking a fight on the battlefield, or ignoring them (cough, Dragon, cough), they show them the respect a civilized opponent deserves, so they negotiate in good faith. Similarly, they don't automatically revel in their enemies fighting, not because of Compassion (though it's certainly a solid Phoenix trait, just not their primary one), but because they feel they know whether it's okay for the other clans to waste time fighting or not, and they have the Courtesy to not manipulate them with underhanded methods, or force them to stop in court, or plan contingencies for when the other clans are weak, so instead they are willing to put their own clan, and its samurai, on the line to stop conflict that threatens the Empire's protection.

I'm going to leave it at that to echo some of the previous posters 5 points. I could go on, but I don't want to make this feel too dragged out, or start repeating myself overly (except when it comes to Phoenix pacifism, please FFG don't make the Phoenix a caricature where they're somehow idiotically focused on never fighting, while being one of the clans most able to do so magically, especially against existential threats; why any writer ever thought the idea of a shugenja not killing oni or other true evils, let alone other samurai trying to kill all your friends with swords, was a good idea, I'll never guess, especially since it's a theme for the Phoenix as a whole, as well as two shugenja families iirc). I like the Phoenix because they're the most awesome, hitting the most high points, for my tastes. Overall the lore of the game is my main pull, and it's got some high points for all clans, enough to justify some level of respect and enjoyment, and to allow me to imagine my friendly-neighbourhood-fireball-flingers allying with them for various reasons. I hope this helps new players find and latch onto the greatness that is the impeccable, powerful, arrogant, and knowledgeable Phoenix clan.