Green Knight

The Next Big Thing on Vassal [CLICKBAIT HYPE THREAD!!!]

With the Summer tourney in round 4, it's important to look forward and build some hype :P

Enter the The Next Big Thing on Vassal Tourney, coming to a computer near you after the summer is over and done with!

Some reflections:

The Summer tourney has been a great success, with more players than ever before, and lots and lots of existing lists and good games.

However, there has been an unusual amount of concessions due to scheduling problems. And it's not just players at the bottom feeling less than motivated (quite understandable), but also at the top tables.

One thing I will be doing differently next time, is splitting the Euro and NA zones. It worked very well in the Vassal Freshman tourney, so I'm bringing it back. So basically we'll have 2 separate Swiss tourneys, then the top 2-4 (not decided) will battle it out in eliminations. Should keep scheduling issues to a minimum and be overall better for everyone.

Thoughts?

And wave 6 will oc be legal :)

Splitting it into two groups is good. At least for the first rounds.

But maybe you should do 3 rounds with NA and EU, and a 4th (or maybe 5th) round with all together. And after this a cut to top 2 or 4.

This way you will get a pre select where player gain points. But after this you get a combined final round. 

I have still bad feelings about the way they did it at worlds 2016. With two tournaments and a combined cut on top 4. One or two more rounds with all players (or with the top 8 from each own tournament) would have been way better. 

sort of

as a reliable player who loves his vassal i think its a bit sucky, but im fortunate that my work allows me to be as flexible vs europe and the americas, probably more so the americas, but i would miss the chance to take on opponents from either.

i could take bottom three in both continents!

and yes in my skim reading i missed the semi final format bit! but then each tournament just becomes europe vs america/canada, similar top fours for a few tournaments yet...

There needs to be an ongoing induction/freshman format... i have chatted to 4 or 5 players now, recommended  your tutorials, and pushed them in your direction gk, but there no active VASSAL NOOBS GET INVOLVED POST to be seen. maybe a league?

Just now, Onidsen said:

If I were more comfortable with Vassal, i think I'd like to be part of one of these

You are online now, I am online now, let's practice!

I have seen a fair amount of new people hanging around vassal lately, but despite my efforts I haven't been able to get any of them to try a game. It is, quite literally, the only way to get more comfortable with it.

1 minute ago, BrobaFett said:

I have seen a fair amount of new people hanging around vassal lately, but despite my efforts I haven't been able to get any of them to try a game. It is, quite literally, the only way to get more comfortable with it.

and when you find a game, you end up in it for several weeks ;D 

6 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

Would love to, but I don't have time at the moment. In a few hours, maybe

I definitely think a Europe track and a NA/Australia track would be the way to go. I just don't know how the finale would be realized. I really don't like the cuts because the game is a lot different when you are just trying to win by 1 point. But I understand why the cuts are there in the large tourneys. I'd have at least 8 if at all possible  

About the drops, I wonder if it is the time of year that is causing the conflicts?

maybe @BiggsIRLcan add a "completed tournaments" requirement to the World Cup? 

(BTW, I've been brainstorming getting some sort of formal league going. It would be really cool to have "league" style open games where you can run any list and it counts towards some kind of league stats. I place this here to see if any other Vassal players have thoughts about this. My thoughts are that we could split areas up into zones where players can have easier scheduling.)

I had a tournament idea today, dunno if it's actually worth the electricity I'm spending to type it. Three (or four but probably not for reasons soon to be clear) round tournament, three fleets. You run one fleet each round. Across all three fleets, a given unique may show up once, and a ship type twice. I'm not sure if that last stricture should be two I-2s versus two ISDs, I'm open to debate, but I thought that might be an amusing change pace, kinda like Virtus.Pro's most recent tournament run. (If you don't play DotA, don't worry about that last quip.)

EDIT: Stick with one faction. Otherwise it's pretty pointless. The idea is to force some variance in builds from players. I know the top tier rarely run the same thing repeatedly except in prep, but I imagine it'll still be fun.

Edited by GiledPallaeon

The only issue I have with a split tournament is that I live on the the NA west coast and my best time to play is during the day which lines up with evenings for Europe. I have the toughest time scheduling matches with opponents from Australia. 

I'd be interested in joining a league if that was started. I also like the idea of a tournament in which you play three different fleets or could fine tune a fleet. I often find that I build a suboptimal fleet and then am stuck with it for the 2 or 3 more matches. 

15 minutes ago, emfrank72 said:

The only issue I have with a split tournament is that I live on the the NA west coast and my best time to play is during the day which lines up with evenings for Europe. I have the toughest time scheduling matches with opponents from Australia. 

I'd be interested in joining a league if that was started. I also like the idea of a tournament in which you play three different fleets or could fine tune a fleet. I often find that I build a suboptimal fleet and then am stuck with it for the 2 or 3 more matches. 

You would of course be able to select which group you'd play in.