drail14me

I'm screwed!!

I'm in a summer league and our squad changes each week. This week, I have ONLY two named pilots and 150 pts to build a squad. My named pilots are Garven Dries and Nera Dantels.

My opponent this week has these two as his named pilots and their probable list:

Whisper + Agent Kallus + Fire-Control System + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device

Inquisitor + Push the Limit + TIE/v1 + Autothrusters

He may also run:

Starkiller Base Pilot + Rebel Captive + Mara Jade + Kylo Ren's Shuttle

2x Omega Sqd Pilot

I should be able to handle most all except Whisper. Not sure how, or if, I can take her down. She decloaks, fires, then recloaks before any of my ships get a chance to shoot. I thought stress might help but it seems all stress will do is keep her cloaked and force green maneuvers but she'll still have those 4-5 green dice. Any suggestions on a list and strategy to deal with Whisper giving my restrictions?

You need a Warden Squad K wing with EM, cluster mines/Conner net and advance slam. and having Sabine somewhere in the list helps lots. can help shut down whisper nicely.

Snapshot green squad a wings with Juke are nice as is Deadeye and Ion torps on Nera. 

I agree.  The K with bombs is the most straightforward way to do it.  I would recommend a seismic charge or proton bombs as well.

The other way to get whisper is a PS9 and an initiative bid.  If you can shoot whisper before she shoots and cloaks, than it's 2 evade dice instead of 4.  But that's going to be impossible with the list limitations you have.  At least with Nera, she can't arc dodge the torp.  But I think you should use deadeye and protons on Nera.  As soon as whisper is in range, you can target her, and protons with G-chips gives you a very good chance of 4 hits.

You'd be surprised with Nera. If you can get her into range 1 with an advanced proton torpedo she can lay damage down on whisper really quickly. 

Even cloaked rolling 4 defense dice your opponent is still at the mercy of luck on the dice while if you build it properly there's no reason why your torpedo shouldn't  be a solid 5 damage when you fire it. It's almost perfect that you have Garven to pass her focus too. Good luck! 

Edited by Phanto Fiend

29 minutes ago, taulover55 said:

You need a Warden Squad K wing with EM, cluster mines/Conner net and advance slam. and having Sabine somewhere in the list helps lots. can help shut down whisper nicely.

Snapshot green squad a wings with Juke are nice as is Deadeye and Ion torps on Nera. 

So, Deadeye lets me use my Focus token instead of the TL to shoot the torps. Then I'm shooting torps without a Focus unless Garven can pass one, right? What about Marksmanship? Does it allow to change focus rolls without the token? Or does it just allow you to spend the focus token and change one hit to a crit? I'm also guessing if I load out with Proton torps then load one proton torp and one extra munitions to save 2 points?

4 minutes ago, drail14me said:

So, Deadeye lets me use my Focus token instead of the TL to shoot the torps. Then I'm shooting torps without a Focus unless Garven can pass one, right? What about Marksmanship? Does it allow to change focus rolls without the token? Or does it just allow you to spend the focus token and change one hit to a crit? I'm also guessing if I load out with Proton torps then load one proton torp and one extra munitions to save 2 points?

Marksmanship turns one focus to a crit and any others to a hit.  It doesn't even give you a focus token.

And yes, 1 proton is 4 points, and EM is 2.  don't forget guidance chips.

I haven't flown Nera anytime recently, but my general strategy with her was to use FCS to get a target lock, fly past my opponent, than launch torps.  Your problem is that she can be shot down before that happens, which is why you want deadeye.  Unless you have a bigger target, your opponent will probably burn her down pretty quickly

11 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Deadeye plus Garven means that as long as Garven has a shot, Nera has a shot with a torp on a terget in range.  Marksmanship just means that when you use it as an action, all your eyeballs for that round change as described on the card.  No token needed, but it doesn't make it any easier to fire with.

Marksmanship is a bad upgrade except in cases when you have multiple shots per round, and even then it's marginal.  Expertise is light years better.

E: are you ONLY allowed those to uniques?  Because Ahsoka with Nera is pretty mean.  Get into range 1 or stay out of range 3 of Nera, or Ahsoka can give her a TL at the start of combat and you're eating fully modified torpedo.

Edited by thespaceinvader

2 minutes ago, drail14me said:

How would a Lothal Rebel work in this situation? Instead of two Y wings with TLTs, what about a Lothal Rebel with TLT and gunner. Get it in range one of any target and 5 attack dice would be nice!

If you're going that route I would take engine upgrade and the attack shuttle with titles so you have the primary and special arcs with 4-5 dice firing instead of just the one. 

the lothal rebel will still give you access to fire control system and torpedoes if desired, as well as crew for combos like Hera and Ezra which makes the lothal a great jousting ship 

42 minutes ago, Phanto Fiend said:

If you're going that route I would take engine upgrade and the attack shuttle with titles so you have the primary and special arcs with 4-5 dice firing instead of just the one. 

the lothal rebel will still give you access to fire control system and torpedoes if desired, as well as crew for combos like Hera and Ezra which makes the lothal a great jousting ship 

I can't take the Attack Shuttle because it has named pilots. If I equip the Lothal Rebel with torps, they would use the special rear arc, right? Guess I'm not sure which would be better, two Y's with TLTs or the Lothal Rebel. The Lothal seems like it would be good just for the 4-5 attack dice of it's primary.

Edited by drail14me