Sign in to follow this  
Gizlivadi

Raid the Caravan

21 minutes ago, Gizlivadi said:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/19/raid-the-caravan/

Pretty cool looking quest. I'm really excited to finally fight actual Haradrim in this cycle.

Now that you say it :blink:

We will see how much progress is needed, but it seems that most bad effects can be countered by removing progress, somethings that was present in the very first quest of the cycle if i am not mistaken. In my memory that was something to consider durig the first one or two rounds and after changing stages, but appart from that it was more of a benefit than a punishment. I played solo and in a 4 man game things surely change, but I dare to say that true solo and duo/two-handed are the most common modes...

I am excited to see how they implement the "attacker feeling", because they pointed it out so much during the article. Will be extremely disappointed if we can't choose the order of the quest deck or have any other influence on the start or flow of the game...

And who is ready for the "zero-defense-mono-tactics-Hama-kill-it-before-it-lays-eggs-deck" with oath of eorl? :D

Already try in Hama. If the deck is mono tactic thicket of spear is still better since you can do even if the ennemy don't die or at a friend house. It is only useful when you get 3 resource tactics but not on 3 different heroes. For exemple if you don't play mono tactic. Or if you use Mablung and get to engage multiple ennemy (one on wait no longer and one later).

Here is my actual Hama decklist with one oath of Eorl: http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/5223/hma-deck-for-multiplayer-use-1.0

8 hours ago, JsBingley said:

Anyone think that Oath of Eorl is cost too much?

1 card, 2 trait, 3 resources for an one time event?

Custom made for Denethor, Mablung and Hama?

Also Tactics Beregond, so you can also add Thicket of Spears for maximum protection.

14 hours ago, Rouxxor said:

Already try in Hama. If the deck is mono tactic thicket of spear is still better since you can do even if the ennemy don't die or at a friend house. It is only useful when you get 3 resource tactics but not on 3 different heroes. For exemple if you don't play mono tactic. Or if you use Mablung and get to engage multiple ennemy (one on wait no longer and one later).

Here is my actual Hama decklist with one oath of Eorl: http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/5223/hma-deck-for-multiplayer-use-1.0

Yeah, thicket achieves the same in a better way, but playing with fire makes you look much cooler ;)

12 hours ago, JsBingley said:

Anyone think that Oath of Eorl is cost too much?

1 card, 2 trait, 3 resources for an one time event?

Custom made for Denethor, Mablung and Hama?

The 1 card cost applies to virtually every card (all but the self-replacers).  The 2-trait requirement restricts the decks it can go in, but for decks that start with those two traits, it is a trivial requirement.

So is the effect event to small for 3 resources?  It's an extremely powerful event in the situation where you can take out multiple enemies if relieved of the requirement to defend, but that's rather situational.  I think the thing I like best about it is that since it messes with the game structure instead of targeting enemies, it can be used to take down bosses.  I also like that you're not constrained to attacking only your own enemies.

Still better than have a power creep. This pack contain over-specialized cards and I'm perfect with that. But yeah I will use less cards from this pack than from others. You are right about that.

A few years ago Caleb & Matt talked about trying to build the game out instead of up and I think they've done a pretty good job of that.  The straightforward power cards are still to be found in the first two cycles for the most part.  More recently the power comes from card interaction.

4 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

A few years ago Caleb & Matt talked about trying to build the game out instead of up and I think they've done a pretty good job of that.  The straightforward power cards are still to be found in the first two cycles for the most part.  More recently the power comes from card interaction.

I don't think this is really a necessary clarification. Pretty much anyone who's played this game for a few years has noticed the fact that the game is supposed to be built horizontally rather than vertically. If you've played through Angmar Awakened and Dream-chaser you'll see how most cards are supposed to work in combination with others to great effect, but not so great on their own. The difference is that cards like, say, To the Sea! To the Sea! or Guardian of Arnor is that they're fantastic, while these are just boring. Now, ovbviously i haven't seen the rest of the cycle so I don't know if there's these amazing glue cards that will bring a Song or Pipe strategy to new heights, but I don't expect it to be so. If you look at these "poweful capstone" cards like Old Toby or Burst Into Song, they don't feel nearly as good as something like the ones I mentioned or stuff like Lords of the Eldar. Now, there's nothing really wrong with "fun" and "quirky" archetypes like Pipes or Songs, but you have to admit that even within this horizontal paradigm of combos and synergies, these cards feel very underpowered. Your comment strikes me as an apology for cards that direly need it because, you know, they're pretty bad. 

I have to agree with Gizlivadi that this cycle of player cards has been quite disappointing.  I like that they are printing cards that only work in specific types of decks.  Unfotunately, the cards aren't even good enough to fit into the decks they were specifically designed for.  I have a pipe deck that I love, but I can't even justify slotting Old Toby into that because it is overcosted by at least 1.  Realistically, it is at best a "Draw 2 cards (and maybe heal 2 damage) for 2 resources".  I'd rather play Lorien's Wealth.  Fireside Song is another great example.  You have the huge restriction of needing both Songs and Hobbits, but most likely it will only be as good as a Celebrian's Stone.  If it cost 1 or did something else, that would be totally playable in the right deck, like it's supposed to be.

The dual-trait events are another problem.  Other than Unlikely Friendship, almost all of the dual-trait events feel like equal or worse versions of existing cards.  Those cards are more universally playable because it's not hard to get 2 traits, so it's more understandable.  But I wish they were just a little better.

Here's the cards from the cycle I think are exceptional bargains:

Greenwood Archer -- 2 attack for 2 resources in leadership, ranged and readying is just gravy.

Unlikely Friendship (needs Elf/Dwarf) -- self-replacing free resource

Wait no Longer -- skipping the quest reveal in solo is amazing

Steed of North -- ready on engage is dead useful

Dunedain Pathfinder -- like Dunedain Hunter, free allies for a one-time cost that the ally itself will help you pay.  Especially great with surging locations or locations with "when revealed" effect.

Steward of Orthanc -- 2 wp for 3 neutral resources isn't bad, but optionally tacking a doom-1 card draw to any event is amazing for solo non-Lore decks.

Red Arrow -- if you have a questing Gondorian, no reason to not have a copy of this in the deck.  +1 wp for 1 cost until you discard it for a free ally picked from your top five cards, at precisely the moment when a new ally would be most useful for combat.

25 minutes ago, Teamjimby said:

I like that they are printing cards that only work in specific types of decks.  Unfotunately, the cards aren't even good enough to fit into the decks they were specifically designed for.

This pretty much summarizes it for me. I too have a surprisingly good Pipe deck that works amazing in solo. I woud not include Old Toby in it. There's just not enough space, the card is not good enough for it.

Greenwood Archer's readying sounds really good until you realise it only works during planning when you're least likely to find it useful (combo shenanigans excepted).

2 attack ranged is nice in the sphere though for sure.

Yeah,  I usually buy packs depending on if I am interested in the player cards in the pack.    Since I started playing I have only missed a small handful of them.

I have not bought a single pack this cycle.   So that should pretty much tell you how I feel about the current crop of player cards.  I'm all for trying to curb power creep but,   that cat is already out of the bag on a ship that has sailed past the last domino that fell over.  The recent cards aren't interesting and they aren't good.