Flaren48

Light Scyk Sunny Bounder

You just need to try this one... if it doesn't go well, it was only 12 points after all, but after a 4 hits at range one yesterday, it made my day! I think the best action to use is TL, in response to his "after roll or reroll" ability. Anyone else tried this little mad one?

Edited by Flaren48

11 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

I ran sunny in a store champ saturday.  My favorite moment was shooting at range 3 with Suppressive fire.  I could shoot 2 dice at Rex or 1 at Braylen.  Opted to take the single die at braylen for the auto-trigger of sunny's ability.  Rolled the hit, added the second.  Who needs 2 dice?

That's a pretty hilarious interaction. I love that kind of emergent behavior in games.

I have to say, Sunny is a pretty fun ship.  It's a nice ability that mixes well with her ability to block using barrel roll.  The most fun that I have with her is when she acquires a target lock prior to an enemy moving out of range.  I then smile, knowing that her next attack has the potential to hurt a whole lot!

Just played a list with her this weekend. I flew Genesis Red with mangler, Quinn with cluster missiles, light Sunny, and Fenn with ptl, title, thrusters. I was flying against three t-70's. Due to *** dice (and a blinded pilot crit that meant a wasted range one opportunity), Fenn went out early, but my sycks hung on. I did get three damage with Sunny's ability, and Sunny was a good little blocker. Alas, she (seems like a she to me) died due to a damage card condition (if you overlap an enemy ship or obstacle take a damage). I didn't notice at first, but realized it before my opponent wasted an attack. 

I went on to just win the match with Genesis being the sole survivor. With more practice, I think this could be a fun list. I used vi and adaptability to make the non-Sunny's PS8 and Quinn also had chips. 

2 minutes ago, Djaskim609 said:

Sunny was a good little blocker. Alas, she (seems like a she to me)

At least half of the named Scyk pilots are female. They're all from Star Wars Galaxies, IIRC.

• Sunny Bounder: female human
  • Inaldra: female twi'lek
  • Quinn Jast: ??? (cant' find any info)
  • Genesis Red: male twi'lek
  • Laetin Ashera: male human
  • Serissu: female bothan

only game i used Sunny in she got tractored by a tugboat down to 2agility.

Dengar attacked her at range2, rolling 2hits 1 crit. I rolled 2 evades, and because i only had 2 dice thanks to the tractor i simply added a third evade.

The tractorbeam probably saved my bacon there.... lol....

Based on this thread I was inspired to run the following which i've dubbed "Scyk-ing Fun"

Sunny Bounder

• Light Scyk Title

Genesis Red

• Heavy Scyk Title
  • Mangler Cannon
  • Pulsed Ray Shield
  • Debt to Pay

Quinn Jast

• Heavy Scyk Title
  • Cluster Missiles
  • Pulsed Ray Shield
  • Dead Eye

Fenn Rau

• Fearless
  • Concord Dawn Protectorate Title
  • Stealth Device

Not only was this list fun, it was decently effective. Its diverse and surprisingly adaptable, but nowhere near "unbeatable" lol. On multiple occasions (luck of the dice most likely) I rolled two focuses with Sunny, generated another focus result per her ability then cashed in my focus token for three hits. My favorite was the all time rare double crit roll converted to three crits. This squad needs more testing and possible tweaks but so far, it's looking good.

P.S. I ran this against imperial aces, so unfortunately Reds target lock ability wasn't of much use as he was always moving before the aces were generating focus or evade tokens but even so I left him chasing down the ace with the a score to settle condition card and it worked quite well. Kept Sunny as Fenns wing"man" (women?) blocking enemy ships to make it easier to get range 1 arc facing arc shots for Fenn. Split Red and Jast up for better coverage. Also this list is 99 points so you have the initiative bid as well. Mostly used PRS as a way to give the Scyks a announced range 1 straight which they do not have on their dial but the shield regen was nice to have on a couple cases too.

Thanks for putting the spotlight on Sunny fellow posters!

Edited by Phoenix5454
spelling

2 minutes ago, Phoenix5454 said:

Based on this thread I was inspired to run the following which i've dubbed "Scyk-ing Fun"

Sunny Bounder

• Light Scyk Title

Genesis Red

• Heavy Scyk Title
  • Mangler Cannon
  • Pulsed Ray Shield
  • Debt to Pay

Quinn Jast

• Heavy Scyk Title
  • Cluster Missiles
  • Pulsed Ray Shield
  • Dead Eye

Fenn Rau

• Fearless
  • Concord Dawn Protectorate Title
  • Stealth Device

Not only was this list fun, it was decently effective. Its diverse and surprisingly adaptable, but nowhere near "unbeatable" lol. On multiple occasions (luck of the dice most likely) I rolled two focuses with Sunny, generated another focus result per her ability then cashed in my focus token for three hits. My favorite was the all time rare double crit roll converted to three crits. This squad needs more testing and possible tweaks but so far, it's looking good.

P.S. I ran this against imperial aces, so unfortunately Reds target lock ability wasn't of much use as he was always moving before the aces where generating focus or evade tokens but even so I left him chasing down the ace with the a score to settle condition card and it worked quite well. Kept Sunny as Fenns wing"man" (women?) blocking enemy ships to make it easier to get range 1 arc facing arc shots for Fenn. Split Red and Jast up for better coverage. Also this list is 99 points so you have the initiative bid as well. Mostly used PRS as a way to give the Scyks a announced range 1 straight which they do not have on their dial but the shield regen was nice to have in a couple cases too.

Thanks for putting the spotlight on Sunny fellow posters!

Yeah, red really wants VI so he can snag tokens off of PS 9 aces.

4 minutes ago, Princezilla said:

Yeah, red really wants VI so he can snag tokens off of PS 9 aces.

yeah... could have run VI on him instead of Debt to Pay in this instance, but I didn't know what i'd be facing. Debt to Pay has always helped me with hard to hit ships and / or high health ships. Who doesn't love a Guavian Death Gang :D

Edited by Phoenix5454

12 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Sunny Bounder! Best academy pilot in the game!!

Indeed. Sunny outclasses an academy pilot so much it's not even funny. I get that she's unique, therefore she has a pilot ability, but the difference between her and an academy pilot (or Zeb and an obsidian squadron pilot) for the same price is a bit of a joke

She's a really, really good 'filler' pilot that is just good enough to justify over a dozen points more upgrades on big ships (which is getting harder these days) - much like Wampa, I find; another pilot who's not expensive, and not devastating, but causes more than enough concern in your opponent to justify including.

I think the best action to use is TL, in response to his "after roll or reroll" ability.

I dunno. (goes away to work it out on the back of a spreadsheet).

Yes. You get an average of two and a bit hits with a reroll compared to one-point-eight-and-a-bit with a focus. Far more importantly, you have a much bigger chance - over 50% - of delivering three hits. For a twelve point ship with two attack dice and one action, that's....impressive. Certainly it puts the "roll an extra die" TIE fighter crowd in their place.

The only observation - you can use her ability defensively too, and at PS1 her first priority is not getting killed - and having a focus to use defensively makes her nearly twice as hard to hit. Plus, if you have a Serissu-granted defensive reroll, that also triggers - with Serissu's reroll and a focus token, sunny nets a faintly ridiculous average two-and-a-half evades...

Edited by Magnus Grendel

7 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I dunno. (goes away to work it out on the back of a spreadsheet).

If you want to add something to your spreadsheet, check this out.

- Sunny acquires a target on the defender, but can't shoot that turn

- Next turn, sunny acquires a focus and fires: hit, focus.

- Use the focus to transform into 2 hits, use the target lock to reroll 0 dice, add a third hit because of Sunny's ability

:)

True. But sans elite pilot talent, getting target lock and focus involves either multiple turns of setup or else dedicating a support ship to a 12 point fighter.

The "reroll zero dice" trick is a nice thought, though - essentially turning sunny into a discount version of Norra Wexley. If you have a 'floating target lock' (Jakku Gunrunner with K4 security droid and targeting synchroniser) on a squad support ship, there are far worse uses for it!

Also note that whilst fewer attack dice is generally making her ability trigger more often, you shouldn't be afraid to offer her the big guns - it's not like her ability is so pricey you must build around it, after all - and giving her a heavy laser cannon comes with the added bonus that you roll all your attack dice, then (because you resolve effects-at-the-same-time in your choice of order) you can knock any crits down to hits, then see if you've got 4 hits. The odds are low, but a lot higher than they would have been with the annoyance of the odd critical in there.

More importantly, getting 4 hits after rolling dice plus spending a focus token isn't that unrealistic (about a 1/3 chance) - and if you (as suggested) can then spend a target lock to reroll dice (or maybe scoop up that last blank into a hit), that's 5 hits from the cannon....

Edited by Magnus Grendel

9 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

- Use the focus to transform into 2 hits, use the target lock to reroll 0 dice, add a third hit because of Sunny's ability

Oooh.. I question the legitimacy of this trick. I hope nobody pulls this one locally as I can see the argument for it working quite clearly, despite my doubt that it was intent.

2 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Oooh.. I question the legitimacy of this trick. I hope nobody pulls this one locally as I can see the argument for it working quite clearly, despite my doubt that it was intent.

FAQ, page 7:

Spending Tokens
"When attacking, players may spend target locks and choose to reroll 0 attack dice."

Sunny's ability mentions rerolling dice, not rerolling 1 or more dice :)

Just running that through - if you've got Sonny with a heavy laser cannon and focus token, and a targeting synchroniser 'buddy' gunrunner nearby, if you roll the red dice, then spend your focus token (if you can), then spend the target lock, you have almost exactly a 50% chance of delivering 5 hits.

At Range 3, from a 23 point ship plus half a dozen points of upgrade cards supporting on a second ship, that's one hell of a kick to the teeth, especially since it's repeatable and doesn't require stress, ion tokens, self damage, or any other stupidity.

43 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

FAQ, page 7:

Spending Tokens
"When attacking, players may spend target locks and choose to reroll 0 attack dice."

See, I know that part. I am not questioning that.

And yes, I agree Sunny's ability mentions rerolling.

Thus, I can fully see your argument. As a TO however... ARGGGH! Dang you FFG!

2 hours ago, dotswarlock said:

1 hour ago, dotswarlock said:

FAQ, page 7:

Spending Tokens

There's some debate about whether it actually works.  You can spend the TL for no effect, but you didn't actually reroll any dice for Sunny's ability to trigger.