Velvetelvis

Better podcasts wanted

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

How do Krayts win anybody back? They started as low production value dumpster fire that accidentally produced interesting ideas, then added T'TJ'J, bought a microphone, and now have a little bit of on-purpose content on top of the accidental bits.  How is their current form not better than anything that has,come before it?  Are you pining for the days of the near-death road trip of static-filled rants?

We tried to do another car based cast but Verizon wasn't having it :(

On 6/19/2017 at 5:33 PM, BlodVargarna said:

All the podcasts are too **** long. Edit them down to an hour or less. 

No. I do bench work in a lab. Moar podcasts and longer podcasts!

On 6/21/2017 at 1:41 PM, Killerardvark said:

Also, I'm pushing to be a no meta bashing podcast. So many podcasts these days spend 50% or more of their time screeching about what's broken and how to fix it. What we need is a show that says "Ok, here's what we have to deal with. How do we stay competitive in this meta?"

This is sorely needed. Krayts have been doing alright, admitted to whinging on jumpmasters and such. And with the Johnson in, they've started discussing counter play to meta lists, which is far more interesting to me than complaining. Don't b**** about something, beat it. 

52 minutes ago, Blake7689 said:

I can promise that we are cleaning up our act, we had a team meeting about the direction we want to take Hornet Squad Radio tonight! Thanks for listening, and I hope that you'll continue to listen in the future! 

If I complain about not enough swearing, will you keep it in?

59 minutes ago, Blake7689 said:

I can promise that we are cleaning up our act, we had a team meeting about the direction we want to take Hornet Squad Radio tonight! Thanks for listening, and I hope that you'll continue to listen in the future! 

Don't bow down to listener pressure, you're the captain here!

On 6/19/2017 at 10:20 PM, Biophysical said:

I'll give another endorsement to 186th.  It drops a little less often than the ones you've listed, but it's got a pretty high signal to noise ratio.

Signal-to-noise ratio is an excellent way to put my main objections to podcasts in general. I'm stealing that!

4 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

Major props to the Birmingham Barron's . 

Caught two today and the early segments on the how's and ever important WHY'S on rock deployment and initial engagement were phenomenal.

Thank you fellas!

Which episodes?

On 2017-06-21 at 9:57 AM, Killerardvark said:

For anyone wondering, NOVA will be making a comeback. We currently have one episode recorded and in editing. It'll be very different as some of the case is no longer with us. We're open to your input of what you liked or didn't like to help mold a better show in the future.

No one cares. No value is lost if you never put out another episode.

On 6/19/2017 at 5:33 PM, BlodVargarna said:

All the podcasts are too **** long. Edit them down to an hour or less. 

I agree with this!!!

I've listened to many different x-wing podcasts recently trying to find ones I like. So far Radio TCX has my interest the most. They keep their shows around 30 minutes and they stay on topic. There are some other shows I listen to that have great content but they stray off topic and can be long winded. One show went 32 minutes into the episode before discussing x-wing. Trim that down and "stay on target"! 

I listen to:

Scum and Villiany, Nova, Radio TCX, Mynock, Gold squad, and Stay on target.  

My 1 hour commute contributes to my podcast cravings.  

Scum and Viliany is by far my favorite.  They have a good mix of personality, competitive chatter and discussion.   Negatives; their list building can be too much on the cute side (But fun to hear if nothing else), and I find they all tend to agree with each other.  A round table discussion can end up with 4 repeated opinions.  It could be the state of the meta, and not so much their fault. :P 

Mynocks are 2nd fav; good personality and the discussion feels like you are hanging out with friends.  I like the back and forth.  Solid guests work well because there aren't too many voices.  They are good at interviews and guests tend to bring new ideas or opinions to keep things fresh.

Krayts: Too many cooks in the kitchen, there are like 3 people I hear talking that I pay attention to, but after listening to all episodes I still don't even know the names of ppl due to the chaos.  The show got good when people started talking content.  The blunt nature and meta talk is refreshing, because I think all other podcasts try hard to be P.C.  I think the Howards offer credibility to this podcast and I'm always happy when they are around.  Paul is also a great guest.  He's like the Segorney weaver to their ghostbusters 1 story.  

Radio TCX is in a strange place.  I think their worst attritube is being short.  It's possible if they went longer they'd be a worse show.  My impression is they have a good handle on competitive xwing, so I feel like I can trust their opinions.  The problem is they focus very heavily on article reviews.  They always have something insightful to say during them, but I am left feeling like I ate fast food.  Quick fortune cookie info and done. I'd like to think they could go deeper.  

Nova is dead, not going to bother.  They did get long winded.  I did enjoy battle reports.  But mostly, if i respected the player.

Gold Squad;  Dion is amazing.  He's 100% effort and enthusiasm.  His interviews are great(justin phua, etc).    Marcel adds great knowledge and commentary also.

Typed at work on iphone.  No proof reading.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:27 PM, Velvetelvis said:

Major props to the Birmingham Barron's . 

Caught two today and the early segments on the how's and ever important WHY'S on rock deployment and initial engagement were phenomenal.

Thank you fellas!

Thank you for your kind words! They are deeply appreciated. :)