Velvetelvis

Better podcasts wanted

19 hours ago, Mattman7306 said:

In general, I recommend 3.2 Company Podcast, though maybe not for you specifically. Its a very personality-driven podcast, rather than news-coverage/ advice. Fortunately for them, this works well in their favor as their hosts are hilarious. This is for you if you are looking more for guys pal'n-around. Their RPG series is the best example of this. I guarantee you won't last one episode of that without cracking up.

Thank you for the kind words. We are glad you enjoy it. 

We would love for you the OP to check us out, but you are probably correct. We are an acquired taste. 

On 6/19/2017 at 9:29 AM, eagletsi111 said:

My only problem with podcasts now is that more and more are sounding like friends drinking and talking.    Why that is fun when your with your friends, when your not there it is not fun and really quite boring.   Imagine going to bar by yourself and listening to others conversations, while not engaging in them. 

Also I have kids and we listen to some of the podcasts when driving.  I know some foul language happens, but some of those in the casting business use it all the time, and really foul language for no reason just makes you sound very unintelligent.       Most these types of casts just love to hear themselves talk.      You can usually tell because if they host games they have a camera on the game and one of themselves too.   Not the dice box, but themselves, because they like to see themselves.    I have stopped listening to many of them also because some of them are just a waste of time, and really don't even cover content of the game.    Which is why I started listening to them in the first place.     

As for Patreon,  I used to help alot, but now most of them want per show payments.   While previously they might have done one or two shows a month.   Now they are add all sorts of other nonsense, like fan discussion or their thoughts and sometimes totally useless stuff so they can get paid more.         

I also want to avoid anything with a lot of foul language.  I tried listening to one the other day and had to turn it off due to the bad language.  I could also hear glass clink in the background, so assumed the guys were drinking while they talked.

My advice to those guys would be to watch the better sports talk shows out there and emulate what you see to become a professional level show:

- Have a plan for your topics and stick to those without jumping around so much.

- Avoid foul language as it will give you the largest audience and avoiding turning some of us off.

- Try to give us an objective opinion on the subject and not just what you like or dislike.  Nothing's more annoying to listen to than another 5 minute rant on Jumpmasters.

- Give me something I can use.  New strategies or lists that you run into or something I haven't thought of yet is worthwhile to hear.

5 minutes ago, USCGrad90 said:

I also want to avoid anything with a lot of foul language.  I tried listening to one the other day and had to turn it off due to the bad language.  I could also hear glass clink in the background, so assumed the guys were drinking while they talked.

My advice to those guys would be to watch the better sports talk shows out there and emulate what you see to become a professional level show:

- Have a plan for your topics and stick to those without jumping around so much.

- Avoid foul language as it will give you the largest audience and avoiding turning some of us off.

- Try to give us an objective opinion on the subject and not just what you like or dislike.  Nothing's more annoying to listen to than another 5 minute rant on Jumpmasters.

- Give me something I can use.  New strategies or lists that you run into or something I haven't thought of yet is worthwhile to hear.

Depends on the audience they're after, and what their goal is with the podcast.  RadioTCX matches pretty much all of this, and is a great podcast.  Krayt Squadron Podcast follows...pretty much none of this (they have a plan, but don't always stick to it), and yet is probably my favorite x-wing podcast right now.

22 hours ago, Mattman7306 said:

I second (though we're way past seconds) Radio TCX. One of the highest production values I've seen a podcast, period.

For you specifically, I also recommend the Birmingham Barons. Turns out the use of a timer helps keep things on track, even if they do ignore it alot.

In general, I recommend 3.2 Company Podcast, though maybe not for you specifically. Its a very personality-driven podcast, rather than news-coverage/ advice. Fortunately for them, this works well in their favor as their hosts are hilarious. This is for you if you are looking more for guys pal'n-around. Their RPG series is the best example of this. I guarantee you won't last one episode of that without cracking up.

Another one I recommend, though they haven't recorded in a while, is 585 Squadron Podcast. The three hosts are all fairly new to the game of x-wing, and thus provide an interesting perspective on the competitive scene.

So now on the elephant in the room, The Krayts (*Calls of "Git Gud" echo in the background*). The Carolina Krayts seem to suffer from what I like to call STS (Shuttle Tyderium Syndrome). That is, the first few episodes are somewhat alienating, and not very representative of the current product. Like many have said above, the Krayts have had turn-around to actual content, with varying levels of audio-quality (This week sounded great btw, @Brunas). While I do recommend revisiting them, I do recognize they aren't for everyone. They are, to put it bluntly, blunt. If they don't like something, you WILL know about it. Fortunately, this does lead to interesting discussion, if you don't mind lots of shouting.

Thats about it. Happy Casting!

****, I just realized I missed my chance to call it Shuttle Tyderium Disease.

We love the game and we love its community.  And we hope it shows.  We do weekly, multi-hour shows, and this does require a certain amount of sacrifice on our parts.  I'm very grateful for the response we've had over the course of our run; it's made the effort well worth it.  And there are so many terrific podcasts now, I can no longer keep up on all the ones I'd like to listen to!  We're in a Golden Age when it comes to X-Wing content, with podcasts and streams and boards that fulfill all needs and tastes.  When I started playing, there was a sliver of what we have now, and it's great to not be starved for X-Wing related material.  It reminds me of television: when I was young, we watched all sorts of garbage.  Now, we have the luxury of carefully selecting which of the quality content we're going to fill out limited hours with.

Regarding our Patreon, thank you so much patrons.  We're currently putting every last penny back into fulfillment or saving up for equipment to provide more for our listeners.  And our regular listeners know that I'm not one to cater to a specific audience OR run out of topics, so Kessel Run can put those fears to rest ;)

For those of you who have stated that we've been off our game or off the rails of late, it's likely my fault.  I've had a rough go of it for some time now, with multiple family deaths and yet another familial terminal illness currently drawing my attentions.  The X-Wingers that knew about this have been a tremendous source of support and encouragement, and I will be always thankful for it.  And there was that infamous episode, where I was *actually* angry at Farmer, and it bled into the show.  I apologize for those times that I've let you down, and I'm endeavoring to Podcast Better.

Toward that goal, I am and always have been completely open to specific criticism.  Vague and undefined negativity doesn't help me get any better.  I'd greatly appreciate specific comments on what you do or don't enjoy about the show.  I can't promise that every suggestion will be implemented, but I always do carefully contemplate all feedback.  You can do it publicly or via PM if you're confrontation adverse.  Never worry about hurting my feelings; I'm a big boy!

11 hours ago, Mattman7306 said:

****, I just realized I missed my chance to call it Shuttle Tyderium Disease.

I prefer STS, or Shuttle Tydirium Syndrome.   It just rolls off better.  Can also be used to describe a mental state as opposed to illness. :)

Edited by heychadwick

1 hour ago, Mynock Delta said:

We love the game and we love its community.  And we hope it shows.  We do weekly, multi-hour shows, and this does require a certain amount of sacrifice on our parts.

Man, my wife and kids do get non-happy with me and the show at times.   I hear ya!   

1 hour ago, Mynock Delta said:

I've had a rough go of it for some time now, with multiple family deaths and yet another familial terminal illness currently drawing my attentions.

I am sorry for your lose.  I lost a brother not that far ago and understand.   

I've also been distracted with lose of job, job  searching, and job starting.  I get that.  Oh, and expensive car repairs.  Real life can be a ***** sometimes.

For anyone wondering, NOVA will be making a comeback. We currently have one episode recorded and in editing. It'll be very different as some of the case is no longer with us. We're open to your input of what you liked or didn't like to help mold a better show in the future.

45 minutes ago, Killerardvark said:

For anyone wondering, NOVA will be making a comeback. We currently have one episode recorded and in editing. It'll be very different as some of the case is no longer with us. We're open to your input of what you liked or didn't like to help mold a better show in the future.

You guys always had great shows! Just don't have 3 hour long battle reports. Like do one interesting list you saw, then move on to the next guy. 

8 minutes ago, Tbetts94 said:

You guys always had great shows! Just don't have 3 hour long battle reports. Like do one interesting list you saw, then move on to the next guy. 

I agree, I've been trying to stick to what I flew against, did I win or lose, and if it was a close game what was the game breaking moment. Prolly still excessive, but I'm working on keeping it shorter.

I am just catching up on this thread and... Wow. Thank you guys so much. 

We will continue working on content, despite protests otherwise (the beatings will continue until morale improves)!*

On 6/19/2017 at 8:50 PM, Mattman7306 said:

So now on the elephant in the room, The Krayts (*Calls of "Git Gud" echo in the background*). The Carolina Krayts seem to suffer from what I like to call STS (Shuttle Tyderium Syndrome). That is, the first few episodes are somewhat alienating, and not very representative of the current product. Like many have said above, the Krayts have had turn-around to actual content, with varying levels of audio-quality (This week sounded great btw, @Brunas). While I do recommend revisiting them, I do recognize they aren't for everyone. They are, to put it bluntly, blunt. If they don't like something, you WILL know about it. Fortunately, this does lead to interesting discussion, if you don't mind lots of shouting.

One thing that I think helps is that there is genuine disagreement on the podcast, but also genuine interest in coming to a conclusion and working out an argument. 

All of that said, we do talk very bluntly/directly, which does make it easier to call "bull &#^" on a statement (because it's probably overly-sweeping). But, it does help further the argument and conversation.

Also, we've ?mostly? fixed the audio quality. Blame @Brunas with his entirely professional, and overly complicated, sound board.

On 6/19/2017 at 5:58 PM, pflrocha said:

I Love Krayts. They're always trashing European Meta and that's cute, specially 'cause none of them would have a chance against any top level european player.

Their views of the match are so last year.... :D

Rekt.

In before the Leebo takeover (which is TOTALLY not just Dash Miranda in disguise).

*Content not guaranteed. Carolina Krayts Podcast does not assume liability for anything listeners do with content. Listeners do not own content, and content may be revoked at any time at the sole discretion of Carolina Krayts Podcast. Carolina Krayts Podcast can neither confirm nor deny the existence of Illuminati chat. All posts related to Carolina Krayts Podcast are subject to NonRonCon Posting Standards™ and Indiana Regional Championship Posting Standards™. Please consult a physician before ingesting content. Do not take content if you are allergic to eggs, milk, plastic spaceships, intense thought, or content. Please limit exposure to content to 2 hours monthly - prolonged exposure to content may result in "Gitting Gud" and a diminished need to blame dice for personal failures.

7 hours ago, Mynock Delta said:

We love the game and we love its community.  And we hope it shows.  We do weekly, multi-hour shows, and this does require a certain amount of sacrifice on our parts.  I'm very grateful for the response we've had over the course of our run; it's made the effort well worth it.  And there are so many terrific podcasts now, I can no longer keep up on all the ones I'd like to listen to!  We're in a Golden Age when it comes to X-Wing content, with podcasts and streams and boards that fulfill all needs and tastes.  When I started playing, there was a sliver of what we have now, and it's great to not be starved for X-Wing related material.  It reminds me of television: when I was young, we watched all sorts of garbage.  Now, we have the luxury of carefully selecting which of the quality content we're going to fill out limited hours with.

Regarding our Patreon, thank you so much patrons.  We're currently putting every last penny back into fulfillment or saving up for equipment to provide more for our listeners.  And our regular listeners know that I'm not one to cater to a specific audience OR run out of topics, so Kessel Run can put those fears to rest ;)

For those of you who have stated that we've been off our game or off the rails of late, it's likely my fault.  I've had a rough go of it for some time now, with multiple family deaths and yet another familial terminal illness currently drawing my attentions.  The X-Wingers that knew about this have been a tremendous source of support and encouragement, and I will be always thankful for it.  And there was that infamous episode, where I was *actually* angry at Farmer, and it bled into the show.  I apologize for those times that I've let you down, and I'm endeavoring to Podcast Better.

Toward that goal, I am and always have been completely open to specific criticism.  Vague and undefined negativity doesn't help me get any better.  I'd greatly appreciate specific comments on what you do or don't enjoy about the show.  I can't promise that every suggestion will be implemented, but I always do carefully contemplate all feedback.  You can do it publicly or via PM if you're confrontation adverse.  Never worry about hurting my feelings; I'm a big boy!

git gud

Edited by Brunas
somehow managed to misspell git gud

2 hours ago, Killerardvark said:

I agree, I've been trying to stick to what I flew against, did I win or lose, and if it was a close game what was the game breaking moment. Prolly still excessive, but I'm working on keeping it shorter.

One suggestion I have is to focus more on making original content pieces, instead of battle reports or news recaps and other things that other podcasts are inevitably going to cover as well.  You've got a great high-power crew but sometimes the match recap content starts blurring together and I lose focus when listening. 

Here's some ideas to kick around -

Mathematical analyses of ships, upgrades, or squad builds

A squad building segment, where one of your crew details the origin and evolution of a squad list they have developed for competitive play

Abstracted discussions of elements of the game. Like what are the elements that make a ship an ace, or a jouster, or how to out-think and trick an opponent during a game.

I would also recommend cutting down in some way on how many people are on the cast in each episode.  It's hard to tell looking back but I think there were times when you had upwards of 6-7 people on at once (?).  I think that makes it hard to have a cogent discussion at any given time.  I would aim for a max of 5 people on at a time, maybe rotating through your crew so that nobody is left out.

I look forward to hearing your content again!

10 minutes ago, Babaganoosh said:

One suggestion I have is to focus more on making original content pieces, instead of battle reports or news recaps and other things that other podcasts are inevitably going to cover as well.  You've got a great high-power crew but sometimes the match recap content starts blurring together and I lose focus when listening. 

Here's some ideas to kick around -

Mathematical analyses of ships, upgrades, or squad builds

A squad building segment, where one of your crew details the origin and evolution of a squad list they have developed for competitive play

Abstracted discussions of elements of the game. Like what are the elements that make a ship an ace, or a jouster, or how to out-think and trick an opponent during a game.

I would also recommend cutting down in some way on how many people are on the cast in each episode.  It's hard to tell looking back but I think there were times when you had upwards of 6-7 people on at once (?).  I think that makes it hard to have a cogent discussion at any given time.  I would aim for a max of 5 people on at a time, maybe rotating through your crew so that nobody is left out.

I look forward to hearing your content again!

I think we're on the same page here. I'm definitely pushing the guys to have more original content and maybe some smaller segments where it's just one person giving a rundown of a thing, whatever it might be. 

We are definitely cutting down on members of the cast. Ed is off to do 40k stuff, Shawn has been fading out of X-Wing, Bob is doing stuff with Scum and Villainy (there goes our math power), and Paul is doing live shows with Aaron Utley. So who does that leave? Me, Kris Sharriff, and Richard Hsu. Chad is up in the air. We're trying to get him to stick around. So this is no joke when I say there is a massive shift in what NOVA will be going forward.

I haven't gotten the whole team on board with this, but I'm a big fan of "The Dice Tower" and how they do a main topic then a bunch of smaller things. I'm hoping to go that direction, but until we catch up I feel like we'll be in a rut doing news and figuring out who and what we are. Hopefully that goes pretty quick.

Also, I'm pushing to be a no meta bashing podcast. So many podcasts these days spend 50% or more of their time screeching about what's broken and how to fix it. What we need is a show that says "Ok, here's what we have to deal with. How do we stay competitive in this meta?"

21 minutes ago, Killerardvark said:

I think we're on the same page here. I'm definitely pushing the guys to have more original content and maybe some smaller segments where it's just one person giving a rundown of a thing, whatever it might be. 

We are definitely cutting down on members of the cast. Ed is off to do 40k stuff, Shawn has been fading out of X-Wing, Bob is doing stuff with Scum and Villainy (there goes our math power), and Paul is doing live shows with Aaron Utley. So who does that leave? Me, Kris Sharriff, and Richard Hsu. Chad is up in the air. We're trying to get him to stick around. So this is no joke when I say there is a massive shift in what NOVA will be going forward.

I haven't gotten the whole team on board with this, but I'm a big fan of "The Dice Tower" and how they do a main topic then a bunch of smaller things. I'm hoping to go that direction, but until we catch up I feel like we'll be in a rut doing news and figuring out who and what we are. Hopefully that goes pretty quick.

Also, I'm pushing to be a no meta bashing podcast. So many podcasts these days spend 50% or more of their time screeching about what's broken and how to fix it. What we need is a show that says "Ok, here's what we have to deal with. How do we stay competitive in this meta?"

Also many of the podcasts have gotten into the habit of seeing a tournament result and saying in better terms, "that sucks, and this sucks, it has no business being there". I think a more productive way would be see the list, explain how it could have a win condition versus A & B, and what it does to combat the meta. Maybe that person found gold such as the European Champion, and maybe the meta can branch out. I just feel a lot of the podcasts haven't taken the positive stride we all hoped for after the great nerfing. Some of that is on the meta, but there's some gems no one is even batting an eye at right now. I think TCX is the best at discussing lists right now and do so in a positive format.

On 6/20/2017 at 4:41 PM, USCGrad90 said:

Hey guy! That was most likely Hornet Squadron Radio you were listening, aka my podcast! We truly aren't trying to offend anybody, our goal as a podcast was to be relaxed, entertaining, and informative. If we're emulating anything, I'd guess we'd be close to a late night talk show. I appreciate this generalized feedback, and will work to include some of it into future episodes! 

9 hours ago, Blake7689 said:

Hey guy! That was most likely Hornet Squadron Radio you were listening, aka my podcast! We truly aren't trying to offend anybody, our goal as a podcast was to be relaxed, entertaining, and informative. If we're emulating anything, I'd guess we'd be close to a late night talk show. I appreciate this generalized feedback, and will work to include some of it into future episodes! 

Yep - I was trying not to call you guys out, because I've met and played with a few of you and know you to be good players and all-around good guys.  The discussion was pretty good, but just didn't want to hear the F-bombs that were going off.

On 2017-6-20 at 3:57 AM, Audio Weasel said:

Also, I feel I should mention HitHitCrit.  Maaaaaaybe not for beginners, BUT it does give a good insight into the fact that metas are not homogenous globally, and they are pretty entertaining.

Thanks for the shout out!

We try to focus on our local meta here in South Africa and use the international meta as a reference mostly. 

People locally generally fly what they like.

Nice to hear we are entertaining!

On 6/21/2017 at 2:30 PM, Velvetelvis said:

Great....krayts AND NOVA are going to win me back.

It's getting to where an old man can't sit in his wicker rocking chair and be grumpy anymore.

Wtf.

How do Krayts win anybody back? They started as low production value dumpster fire that accidentally produced interesting ideas, then added T'TJ'J, bought a microphone, and now have a little bit of on-purpose content on top of the accidental bits.  How is their current form not better than anything that has,come before it?  Are you pining for the days of the near-death road trip of static-filled rants?

7 hours ago, USCGrad90 said:

Yep - I was trying not to call you guys out, because I've met and played with a few of you and know you to be good players and all-around good guys.  The discussion was pretty good, but just didn't want to hear the F-bombs that were going off.

I can promise that we are cleaning up our act, we had a team meeting about the direction we want to take Hornet Squad Radio tonight! Thanks for listening, and I hope that you'll continue to listen in the future!