Velvetelvis

Better podcasts wanted

Always keeping an eye on steletv. Easily in my top tier for video content.

It's the audio podcasts that I actually have the most time for. And I think it's just time for me to float around a bit and see what else is out there. 

I don't know why I'm so thin skinned on this issue because I'm really normally not....but I am tired of listening to podcasts that belittle the forum people. I mean....I'm a forum person.im not super useful as such,but to be regularly insulted while I'm trying to enjoy a podcast has gotten really stale.

I was able to get a taste of a couple of the suggestions today and look forward to trying more tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendations fellas!

I stopped listening to Krayts because their audio was so bad it hurts (literally. When they screamed and laughed the audio clipped), but I might give them another chance.

Lately I think most of the podcast have been quite boring. They talk about some news, whine about Jumpmasters or Attanni Mindlink, talk about card combos and their run in a tournament. I miss the serious talk about tactics and strategy, strong and weak matchups and tips and tricks I can try in my own games. Sometimes you can get the feeling that only by "being around" good players (like some of the podcast hosts) I become better as well. But I don't, so I would like content that can help me with that. 

Now I will keep listening to the ones I subscribe to, because I need my daily dose of X wing, but will follow this tread for some new advice. 

Random rant over. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, BlodVargarna said:

All the podcasts are too **** long. Edit them down to an hour or less. 

I used to think that. Then I started to listen to them while commuting, and suddenly it has become a source of X-Wing info and chit chat at times where I'd just play Hearthstone or the news or stare out of the window otherwise.

All the ones I like have already been said (my current favorites are Mynock Squadron, NOVA Squadron and 186th Squadron, but I started listening to podcasts with Radio TCX because they're much shorter, and I love Gold Squadron for their events stream coverage).

This discussion is interesting because I think I'm actually enjoying the Krayts the most at the moment. Consistently entertaining, interesting discussions, and even some good talk on strategy. None of the callouts really bother me. They don't take themselves too seriously and neither do I.

The more serious ones like TCX are good too. TCX has all the info you need condensed into a nice, 30 minute package. This is especially beneficial for new players. They're not the ones I look forward to listening to every week though. Their presentation of the information is perfect, but it's all stuff I've already learned by the time I'm listening (usually article previews or tourney recaps). This is not really a criticism, because that is exactly what the podcast is designed to do. It's just different. I'm a guy who likes to sit back and listening to people have fun talking about X-wing.

I second (though we're way past seconds) Radio TCX. One of the highest production values I've seen a podcast, period.

For you specifically, I also recommend the Birmingham Barons. Turns out the use of a timer helps keep things on track, even if they do ignore it alot.

In general, I recommend 3.2 Company Podcast, though maybe not for you specifically. Its a very personality-driven podcast, rather than news-coverage/ advice. Fortunately for them, this works well in their favor as their hosts are hilarious. This is for you if you are looking more for guys pal'n-around. Their RPG series is the best example of this. I guarantee you won't last one episode of that without cracking up.

Another one I recommend, though they haven't recorded in a while, is 585 Squadron Podcast. The three hosts are all fairly new to the game of x-wing, and thus provide an interesting perspective on the competitive scene.

So now on the elephant in the room, The Krayts (*Calls of "Git Gud" echo in the background*). The Carolina Krayts seem to suffer from what I like to call STS (Shuttle Tyderium Syndrome). That is, the first few episodes are somewhat alienating, and not very representative of the current product. Like many have said above, the Krayts have had turn-around to actual content, with varying levels of audio-quality (This week sounded great btw, @Brunas). While I do recommend revisiting them, I do recognize they aren't for everyone. They are, to put it bluntly, blunt. If they don't like something, you WILL know about it. Fortunately, this does lead to interesting discussion, if you don't mind lots of shouting.

Thats about it. Happy Casting!

Thanks for those that like the Shuttle T!   I appreciate it.   I do feel bad that we are going to start a Patreon service.  I swear....I am thinking just about putting out a $1 per episode amount...just because people keep asking us if we have an account as they want to donate.   It does cost money per year to do these things, so just breaking even would be nice.   That...and maybe getting some slightly better equipment would be good.  

Joel from Birmingham Barons here. I came to plug our show (http://bhambaronsxwing.podomatic.com/) but am happy to see I was beaten to it. :) 

As as others have said, we keep our show to about an hour. We aim for a PG listening experience and only ever really fail that when a less experienced guest messes up. :P

It's currently the middle of Store Champ season so that has taken up a lot of our time in the last several episodes along with coverage for all of the new expansion articles that FFG have been publishing recently. Once things calm down a bit we will be sure to work in more strategy and beginner oriented material where we can. 

2 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Thanks for those that like the Shuttle T!   I appreciate it.   I do feel bad that we are going to start a Patreon service.  I swear....I am thinking just about putting out a $1 per episode amount...just because people keep asking us if we have an account as they want to donate.   It does cost money per year to do these things, so just breaking even would be nice.   That...and maybe getting some slightly better equipment would be good.  

Honest truth, I'd rather you did a per month.  That way, if you put out more episodes in a month (maybe a special for the power of grayskull) I don't risk going broke.

4 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

Always keeping an eye on steletv. Easily in my top tier for video content.

It's the audio podcasts that I actually have the most time for. And I think it's just time for me to float around a bit and see what else is out there. 

I don't know why I'm so thin skinned on this issue because I'm really normally not....but I am tired of listening to podcasts that belittle the forum people. I mean....I'm a forum person.im not super useful as such,but to be regularly insulted while I'm trying to enjoy a podcast has gotten really stale.

I was able to get a taste of a couple of the suggestions today and look forward to trying more tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendations fellas!

If my comments on the one scum and villainy episode I was on upset you -when I talked about how poorly my "we now have a ship made of wood" post went over on these forums, and how silly I thought it was the depths of detail forum users then went to prove my obviously not serious post was wrong- please realize I am more active on these forums than even you and thus am even more a part of the "forums" than yourself. :lol:

But if I'm not giving a vote for S&V, Radio TCX really is one of the best in my book. Gives all meat and there is almost no way you can find either of the hosts annoying in any way. 

A good while ago I would say Back to Dials was worth a try, but no way I do that now. It's sad what happened after Tyson left. Was one of my favorites, and they gave it a go after he left, but it was... rough to say the least.

45 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

No shame in doing a patreon, especially if people are asking for it. It's an easy way for people to donate to a show they love.  As long as you aren't begging for money or threatening to stop the show if you don't get people backing it (unless serious money issues arose for some reason), then there's no reason for anyone to be upset by it. 

42 minutes ago, Audio Weasel said:

Honest truth, I'd rather you did a per month.  That way, if you put out more episodes in a month (maybe a special for the power of grayskull) I don't risk going broke.

They can make it only apply to main episodes, it doesn't have to be for any content they put out no matter what. Gold squadron for instance does lots of extra stuff with interviews or town halls, etc, but only the main real episodes are charged for the patreon. 

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

I love your show, but please make it a consistent amount per month.   So we can budget the funds.   I would rather know that I'm paying 5 dollars a month, then one month 4, the next 6, the next 2, etc.    I support multiple casts and have in the past, but the best ones allows us to budget funds for payment.

6 hours ago, pflrocha said:

I Love Krayts. They're always trashing European Meta and that's cute, specially 'cause none of them would have a chance against any top level european player.

Their views of the match are so last year.... :D

If Europeans are so good, why aren't they good enough to be American instead?

3 hours ago, Mattman7306 said:

So now on the elephant in the room, The Krayts (*Calls of "Git Gud" echo in the background*). The Carolina Krayts seem to suffer from what I like to call STS (Shuttle Tyderium Syndrome). That is, the first few episodes are somewhat alienating, and not very representative of the current product. Like many have said above, the Krayts have had turn-around to actual content, with varying levels of audio-quality (This week sounded great btw, @Brunas). While I do recommend revisiting them, I do recognize they aren't for everyone. They are, to put it bluntly, blunt. If they don't like something, you WILL know about it. Fortunately, this does lead to interesting discussion, if you don't mind lots of shouting.

Something something something your mom is the elephant in the room.

...Glad the audio quality is better, but this whole content business has to stop. Also, thankfully, I can see no one downloads our earliest episodes.

11 hours ago, Clutterbuck said:

radio TCX is the right answer.

Radio TCX is the short answer, when I'm really looking for essay.

I listen to TCX, and love them, but I just don't feel like I know the guys the way I'm familiar with The Shuttle Tydirium, Mynock Squadron, and Scum and Villainy. Oh, and how could I forget Hell of a Pilot! I'm in this game for the community as much as I'm in it for the game.

5 hours ago, defkhan1 said:

This discussion is interesting because I think I'm actually enjoying the Krayts the most at the moment. Consistently entertaining, interesting discussions, and even some good talk on strategy. None of the callouts really bother me. They don't take themselves too seriously and neither do I.

The more serious ones like TCX are good too. TCX has all the info you need condensed into a nice, 30 minute package. This is especially beneficial for new players. They're not the ones I look forward to listening to every week though. Their presentation of the information is perfect, but it's all stuff I've already learned by the time I'm listening (usually article previews or tourney recaps). This is not really a criticism, because that is exactly what the podcast is designed to do. It's just different. I'm a guy who likes to sit back and listening to people have fun talking about X-wing.

Travis saved the Krayts in my opinion. Many like myself wouldn't had given them many more chances if he hadn't come on the show.

6 hours ago, Audio Weasel said:

5 hours ago, eagletsi111 said:

I love your show, but please make it a consistent amount per month.   So we can budget the funds.   I would rather know that I'm paying 5 dollars a month, then one month 4, the next 6, the next 2, etc.    I support multiple casts and have in the past, but the best ones allows us to budget funds for payment.

I have only barely looked into it and didn't even realize you can do a "per month" option.   Yeah, I totally get that and am fine with it.  

4 hours ago, heychadwick said:

I have only barely looked into it and didn't even realize you can do a "per month" option.   Yeah, I totally get that and am fine with it.  

Just signed up!     Love your show man    I still think you could have done more than 1 dollar a month,  3 would have been fine too.     Keep up the great work.    Love the Captain Questions.          As for your story telling, great stuff.     You should really think about doing something like that every few months.       You could have the community play missions and report results to drive the story based on them.

Let me tell you my 14 year old and 11 year old were riveted to their seats when we played them as was I.    It's like books on audio cassette.     You didn't add an email or shipping location to your patreon.   Might be something you want to do in case you have giveaways at some point.

Edited by eagletsi111