Cubanboy

Havoc Bomber preview up

26 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Sigh. It's only 6 bombs: two for each punisher. Can you spend a target lock to attack twice with Concussion Missiles + Extra Munitions? Nope, only once per opportunity. Same thing here, each punisher can remove a Munitions token from each bomb upgrade, but you can't do it a second time and flip the card.

It's quite balanced, in my opinion.

Extra Munitions: When you are instructed to discard an upgrade card, you may discard 1 ordnance token on that card instead

Thus, its 4 per punisher. The token is a dupe of the card for all rules and purposes. Even the Fett only discards the token, not the card under the token.

Once per opportunity literally has no meaning here. Why? "Discard ANY number" indicating more than once. I see 0 reason why magically the token from EM would change this

Edited by Vineheart01

2 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Extra Munitions: When you are instructed to discard an upgrade card, you may discard 1 ordnance token on that card instead

Thus, its 4 per punisher. The token is a dupe of the card for all rules and purposes. Even the Fett only discards the token, not the card under the token.

Once per opportunity literally has no meaning here. Why? "Discard ANY number" indicating more than once. I see 0 reason why magically the token from EM would change this

Extra munitions isnt a bomb. You can only discard each bomb once when minefield map goes off, which strips the munition token. You cant discard the same bomb again to the same map.

22 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Extra munitions isnt a bomb. You can only discard each bomb once when minefield map goes off, which strips the munition token. You cant discard the same bomb again to the same map.

You get instructed to discard any number of bomb upgrade cards. You can have 2 seismic charge upgrades and you're allowed to place all 2 of them. It's an iteration through your bomb upgrades: Do you have a bomb upgrade? If yes, do you want to discard it and place the token on the map?

Then you have EM which tells you that whenever you get instructed to discard an upgrade card you can discard the token instead.

So this could certainly be seen as a possibility to place all of them, both from multiple copies and from Extra Munitions

Okay, Scum now have their Heavy Bomber counterpart to the K-wing and TIE Punisher. Although the Rebels get the ship to but only one pilot. Lets start there.

So at 30 points they get to start with Captian Nym. The rebel part allows you to go through "friendly" bombs. So now there is a new designation for bomb tokens. However if you were to go by the ability that means you can keep a proton bomb (or seismic or ion) in perpetual suspension. Or if you are using mines, you no longer have to worry about running into your own as long as you don't go through a whole field of cluster mines (1 per round remember).  However it is the only way you can get Minefield mapper since the K-wing doesn't have the <system> slot.

The scum get a 24 point heavy bomber, but unlike the other heavy bombers from Wave 7 this is packing a punch with 3 firepower. The Captian Nym on the scum side allows bombs to be used as a one way obstacle token. Very much a support ship which adds more synergy to the Scum despite its original characteristic.  Cad Bane comes as a Scum only and not as another Rebel or Scum only (and I along with many other Imperial players would have flipped the tables if they did).  It gives scum a 3rd <bob> slot making scum the faction of the 3x<bombs>.

The good thing about this expansion pack is it is a true expansion pack with something for all factions, despite it being a dual faction (Scum and Rebel) there are things for the Imperials as well. Minfield Mapper is just ready for TIE Punishers, and bomblet generators along with unguided rockets is what the Imperial Bombers just been begging for. Move over Squints, let the Pods take care of the heavy lifting. However there is one thing the Imperials are getting stiffed on, the T-roll. Another Scum/Rebel ship with the T-Roll and all the 1st Order TIEs are still stuck on S-loops.

All in all, something for everyone. I think Imperial Bombers would be picking this up in a heartbeat.

Edited by Marinealver

51 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

You get instructed to discard any number of bomb upgrade cards. You can have 2 seismic charge upgrades and you're allowed to place all 2 of them. It's an iteration through your bomb upgrades: Do you have a bomb upgrade? If yes, do you want to discard it and place the token on the map?

Then you have EM which tells you that whenever you get instructed to discard an upgrade card you can discard the token instead.

So this could certainly be seen as a possibility to place all of them, both from multiple copies and from Extra Munitions

You ALMOST had it.

You have 2 bombs with munitions tokens. Minefield mapper triggers.

You"discard" bomb 1, spending a munition token.

you "discard" bomb 2, spending a munition token.

You have now used the Minefield Map on all your bombs.

You still have 2 bombs equipped.

1 minute ago, Rakaydos said:

You have now used the Minefield Map on all your bombs.

I disagree. The "ANY" means you can keep going as long as you have bombs.

That's one of the few cases where a clarification would be nice. Usually it's quite clear from the established rules, but I don't think "once per opportunity" applies here - because once per opportunity does not mean "once per card".
Minefield Map explicitly instructs to keep going with more than one bomb, based on just one trigger - or one opportunity. Which is "During setup, after the Place Forces step".

"Any number" is crucial, and each token also counts as such a card. Also, the instead on EM does not mean that you can't go again. I see it as a while loop: while you have bomb upgrades remaining, you can discard the card to place the token. EM tokens provide more cards.

2 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Can't equip non-unique astromechs. FFG has beaten you to that problem. 

Oh don't worry, there's an unspoiled droid in the pack that will shore up that problem.

looks like a great pack.  As a big bad mad bomber there is a lot to like here. Very annoyed that Imperials keep getting hand me downs and hopes for the thing that was specifically their thing for so long.  Unguided rockets and the aggressor and synched turret are mostly ignorable.  Bomblets and mapper seem interesting enough. 

Looks like I need to requesition some scum ships to fly and "test out" those enemy tactics.  

Edited by Rakky Wistol

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I disagree. The "ANY" means you can keep going as long as you have bombs.

That's one of the few cases where a clarification would be nice. Usually it's quite clear from the established rules, but I don't think "once per opportunity" applies here - because once per opportunity does not mean "once per card".
Minefield Map explicitly instructs to keep going with more than one bomb, based on just one trigger - or one opportunity. Which is "During setup, after the Place Forces step".

"Any number" is crucial, and each token also counts as such a card. Also, the instead on EM does not mean that you can't go again. I see it as a while loop: while you have bomb upgrades remaining, you can discard the card to place the token. EM tokens provide more cards.

"Once per Opportunity" means that "Any number" is limited to the actual number of bombs you have equipped. You cant declare you're dropping 4 bombs when you only have 2. Just because they arnt actually discarded doesnt mean you can discard them twice to the same effect.

I'd fly this  Squadron (99)

Contracted Scout — JumpMaster 5000 25
Attanni Mindlink 1
Extra Munitions 2
Plasma Torpedoes 3
Unhinged Astromech 1
Guidance Chips 0
Ship Total: 32

Attanni Mindlink 1
Extra Munitions 2
Plasma Torpedoes 3
Unhinged Astromech 1
Guidance Chips 0

Attanni Mindlink 1
Cad Bane 2
Unhinged Astromech 1
Scavenger Crane 2
Cluster Mines 4

or
Squadron 
(99)

Attanni Mindlink 1
Extra Munitions 2
Plasma Torpedoes 3
Unhinged Astromech 1
Guidance Chips 0

Attanni Mindlink 1
Extra Munitions 2
Plasma Torpedoes 3
Unhinged Astromech 1
Guidance Chips 0

Attanni Mindlink 1
Cad Bane 2
"Genius" 0
Scavenger Crane 2
Proton Bombs 5
Ship Total: 35

Cad Bane should probably change to small base only.
Edited by Belamont

5 hours ago, nigeltastic said:

Bomblets are nastier than I expected them to be be. Minefield mapper is what I expected and is very good for anything that takes ordnance AND bombs since you can now get the bombs off for sure. Dropping proton bombs as zoning tools is also very interesting.

I think this is my favorite part of the release.  At last, mine fields!!

Really, Minefield Map is Tie Punisher only.

No other ship has both a native system slot (havok is unique) and a native bomb slot (because sabine on a Bwing/cad bane on a G1A makes a crappy minefield), other than Brobots. Which might be interesting, but you lose FCS.

Edit:

IG-88C (36)
Predator (3)
Minefield Mapper (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Cluster Mines (4)

IG-88B (36)
Predator (3)
Minefield Mapper (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Cluster Mines (4)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Edited by Rakaydos

16 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Minefields that cost you an FCS slot.

OK, my brain only works in Epic mode, so. . .

2 Punishers + Extra Munitions + 2 bombs slots = EIGHT MINES.

That will certainly mess up you opponent's tun 1 plans.  Heck, they can be blaster sponges for the rest of the game as far as I'm concerned.

Just now, Darth Meanie said:

OK, my brain only works in Epic mode, so. . .

2 Punishers + Extra Munitions + 2 bombs slots = EIGHT MINES.

That will certainly mess up you opponent's tun 1 plans.  Heck, they can be blaster sponges for the rest of the game as far as I'm concerned.

4 mines. Extra munitions arnt bombs, and each bomb can only be discarded once by the single effect of Minefield Map.

45 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

4 mines. Extra munitions arnt bombs, and each bomb can only be discarded once by the single effect of Minefield Map.

I believe this is how it works but even if it is wrong who cares? I would gladly let my opponent waste 30 points on bombs that are never going to hit me. A decent player should be able to make it out of the range 3 box taking no more than 5 damage max and that is if you roll all hits. After that you have a full list against what? 3 naked Scurrgs or Punishers. I would take that matchup any day of the week.

1 minute ago, Kdubb said:

if you are looking for a drop on reveal bomb and you have the two bomb slots, do you ever consider the other options? I'm pretty sure bomblet generator is the only thing you are considering ever again in that case.

it means you cant use the second bomb slot for an action bomb, and it's unique, so no spamming.

Just now, Kdubb said:

if you are looking for a drop on reveal bomb and you have the two bomb slots, do you ever consider the other options? I'm pretty sure bomblet generator is the only thing you are considering ever again in that case.

Maybe Ion bombs or Thermals depending on if you want the control element but it pretty much invalidates Seismic charges for anything with an open bomb slot.