L5RBr

Champions Speculations

3 minutes ago, L5RBr said:

How do you imagine the new champions will come?

My Guess:

Crab - 8M 1P  

Dragon - 5M 4P  

Phoenix - 4M 5P  

Scorpion - 3M 6P

Unicorn - 6M 3P  

What about abilities? Does all will be generic, linked to the rings?

i'd flip scorpion and phoenix (the whole pasificim thing) . Otherwise, seems logical.

Crab: 8/1 sounds right for Kisada. Some type of unbow or resilience ability.

Dragon: 5/5. Extra statpoint due to paper in his heart. Something to do with putting rings into your claimed pile.

Scorpion: 4/5 for Shoju, with some cool "look at their hand ability".

Unicorn: 5/4. Some ability to move people around.

Phoenix: who cares? The Ujimitsu dream is dead. 

Edited by Nickciufi

I think they may continue to use ring effects. I think Kisada may be able to just use the ring of earth in a military conflict or something like that.

I think 4/5 for Shoju, possibly 5/4...  He wouldn't have 6 MIL or POL.  He wasn't the best fighter or courtier, he just had dirt on everyone and wasn't afraid to use it.  It was Kachiko who did the courtier things.

Edited by shosuko

5 minutes ago, MoZi said:

I think they may continue to use ring effects. I think Kisada may be able to just use the ring of earth in a military conflict or something like that.

I thought about that but I think that it's because lion and crane are two sides of the coin of honor that the ability is like that.

46 minutes ago, Nickciufi said:

Crab: 8/1 sounds right for Kisada. Some type of unbow or resilience ability.

Dragon: 5/5. Extra statpoint due to paper in his heart. Something to do with putting rings into your claimed pile.

Scorpion: 4/5 for Shoju, with some cool "look at their hand ability".

Unicorn: 5/4. Some ability to move people around.

Phoenix: who cares? The Ujimitsu dream is dead. 

They're is still hope....sort of.:)

31 minutes ago, Cold Iron1 said:

I thought about that but I think that it's because lion and crane are two sides of the coin of honor that the ability is like that.

I think thematically they are emphasizing the rings a lot in the game because it's legend of the five rings. One problem with old5r is that rings were good and sometimes staples in certain decks but they only had a token influence on the game itself. Both Crane and Lion have champs have generic ring abilities that mirror each other. That leaves five champions remaining and five ring traits. I could see each specializing in an element. Phoenix-Fire Dragon-Void Crab-Earth Unicorn-Water Scorpion-Air. I am not certain this will be the case but it seems to make sense thematically for each clan with what we've seen so far. Speaking more on the Crab. Hand denial as a form of card advantage and thematically representing durability and toughness has been part of the game in the past. It's generally not fun. But with honor bidding for cards and mill not being an auto loss I think it can be balanced in this form of the game.

39 minutes ago, MoZi said:

I think thematically they are emphasizing the rings a lot in the game because it's legend of the five rings. One problem with old5r is that rings were good and sometimes staples in certain decks but they only had a token influence on the game itself. Both Crane and Lion have champs have generic ring abilities that mirror each other. That leaves five champions remaining and five ring traits. I could see each specializing in an element. Phoenix-Fire Dragon-Void Crab-Earth Unicorn-Water Scorpion-Air. I am not certain this will be the case but it seems to make sense thematically for each clan with what we've seen so far. Speaking more on the Crab. Hand denial as a form of card advantage and thematically representing durability and toughness has been part of the game in the past. It's generally not fun. But with honor bidding for cards and mill not being an auto loss I think it can be balanced in this form of the game.

If you're gonna do that, I'd flip Phoenix and Dragon! We're the only ones with Void shugenja, and they're shugenja family is specialized on Fire! (Not important to your point, I know, but it hurt my pride ?)

2 minutes ago, Zalari said:

If you're gonna do that, I'd flip Phoenix and Dragon! We're the only ones with Void shugenja, and they're shugenja family is specialized on Fire! (Not important to your point, I know, but it hurt my pride ?)

In the heresy of 5 rings, It WAS phoenix-void, dragon-fire so there is a precedent.

8 minutes ago, Zalari said:

I did it that way because there are already Pheonix cards that focus on the ring of fire. Thematically it fits with them. And Dragon already has fate manipulation as a theme as well. But yeah... I am just speculating :P

Edited by MoZi

21 minutes ago, MoZi said:

I did it that way because there are already Pheonix cards that focus on the ring of fire. Thematically it fits with them. And Dragon already has fate manipulation as a theme as well. But yeah... I am just speculating :P

There is one Phoenix card that focuses on the ring of Fire.. there is also one that focuses on the ring of Air and one that focuses on the ring of Earth (because we use all elements, see?). However, if you look at the all-encompassing Phoenix cards Know the World and Mori Kuroi, they are Void aligned. Meanwhile, Dragon have two Fire aligned cards thus far.. ;)

"Fire is my form, but not the totality of my being. I was hatched from an egg, from the fluids of life, so I am obviously from the element of Water. I soar through the skies with the wind under my wings, so I am quite clearly from the element of Air. I die as ash and rise whole from the ground again, so I must be from the element of Earth. And I am all these things, and none of them too, so I am truly from the element of Void."

:P

Edited by Zalari

18 minutes ago, Zalari said:

There is one Phoenix card that focuses on the ring of Fire.. there is also one that focuses on the ring of Air and one that focuses on the ring of Earth (because we use all elements, see?). However, if you look at the all-encompassing Phoenix cards Know the World and Mori Kuroi, they are Void aligned. Meanwhile, Dragon have two Fire aligned cards thus far.. ;)

"Fire is my form, but not the totality of my being. I was hatched from an egg, from the fluids of life, so I am obviously from the element of Water. I soar through the skies with the wind under my wings, so I am quite clearly from the element of Air. I die as ash and rise whole from the ground again, so I must be from the element of Earth. And I am all these things, and none of them too, so I am truly from the element of Void."

:P

Ok Fire Chicken 

1 hour ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

Out of curiosity, have we seen a dragon tattoo/fire breathing attachment yet?

Not yet, no. But we're going into Dragon fortnight, so here's hoping! (I mean, they gotta right? Right!? Dragon are attachment focused!)

8 hours ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Hasn't Phoenix been confirmed to be a 4/4? Unless their clan champion isn't their 5 cost character.

I actually started to think about this.   In the original game, Ujimitsu was accidentally printed without the unique trait and AEG just came up with a story reason why and rolled with it.   What if FFG purposely makes Ujimitsu non unique and for balance purposes made him cheaper but then made Tsukune to fill in Phoenix's 5 cost 

I would think that 8/1 is too much. I would think that 6/3 or 3/6 are the most extreme values we will see.

Since I think Tsukune will be the Phoenix Champion her stats will probably be 4/4. I can see Dragon as balanced as well perhaps 5/5 because Kami etc. I can see the Scorpions and the Crab are mirrored with  5/4 and 4/5.

Unicorn is a tricky one. I would assume since they like symmetry as shown by Hotaru an Toturi that the Unicorn Champion will also has symmetric stats so probably 4/4

9 minutes ago, Yandia said:

I would think that 8/1 is too much. I would think that 6/3 or 3/6 are the most extreme values we will see.

Since I think Tsukune will be the Phoenix Champion her stats will probably be 4/4. I can see Dragon as balanced as well perhaps 5/5 because Kami etc. I can see the Scorpions and the Crab are mirrored with  5/4 and 4/5.

Unicorn is a tricky one. I would assume since they like symmetry as shown by Hotaru an Toturi that the Unicorn Champion will also has symmetric stats so probably 4/4

I have a hard time believeing the Crab will have a political value that high.

Edited by Kuni Katsuyoshi

11 minutes ago, Yandia said:

I think Kisada will have the highest military strength in the game. Whether that's an 8/1, a 7/2 or, for some reason,  a 6/3, I firmly believe they will make him all military all the time. I don't think there's any chance Kisada will be a 5/4 or 4/5. He's terrible as a diplomat haha.

27 minutes ago, JRosen9 said:

I actually started to think about this.   In the original game, Ujimitsu was accidentally printed without the unique trait and AEG just came up with a story reason why and rolled with it.   What if FFG purposely makes Ujimitsu non unique and for balance purposes made him cheaper but then made Tsukune to fill in Phoenix's 5 cost 

I could see that. Phoenix has always been the weird clan, after all :P.

Yeah I couldn't imagine Hida Kisada being a 6/3.  That is far too weak, and far too political.  I could only imagine him being 7/2 at worst.  I think 7/1 with a 2 glory is fitting.  For Kisada the Glory may almost work more as a penalty than an advantage, so it could even be 7/1 with 3 glory.  He could even get a 0 political stat and it wouldn't surprise me, but no other champion should match his raw force period.

18 hours ago, L5RBr said:

How do you imagine the new champions will come?

My Guess:

Crab - 8M 1P  

Dragon - 5M 4P  

Phoenix - 4M 5P  

Scorpion - 3M 6P

Unicorn - 6M 3P  

What about abilities? Does all will be generic, linked to the rings?

I think 7-2 makes more sense for crab but the others can actually prove to be pretty accurate. 

22 minutes ago, shosuko said:

Yeah I couldn't imagine Hida Kisada being a 6/3.  That is far too weak, and far too political.  I could only imagine him being 7/2 at worst.  I think 7/1 with a 2 glory is fitting.  For Kisada the Glory may almost work more as a penalty than an advantage, so it could even be 7/1 with 3 glory.  He could even get a 0 political stat and it wouldn't surprise me, but no other champion should match his raw force period.

I think that going bellow two political is an overkill. A clan champion even when he has no interest or actual skill in politics still commands respect and his words in courts cannot be ignored. I believe 7/2 is a great place to be for Kisada.

Also I totally expect from Scorpion and Crab to have lower Glory values on average than the rest. These clans care more about doing what needs to be done without the need to receive any praise or "glory" for that matter.

Edited by blackheartz