Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BlodVargarna

What ever happened to the TAP?

Recommended Posts

Bad matchup with the game's current leading build. 
Manaroo can block him.
Asaji can mess with his positioning and stress.
Fel can force him to spend all his tokens.

According to the forums all ships that wont help you deal with the best list in the game are useless. They aren't wrong but they fail to account for the fact that not every list in the game IS the best list in the game.

Alternatively some of the other "best lists in the game" really punish the Inquisitor as well, Wisper+crit decimator is not your cup of tea, Miranda bombs the hell out of you and you really stand no chance trying to face down Dengar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready for a fun build that uses a TAP pilot you never see?

Valen Rudor (22)
     Juke (2)
     XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
     Autothrusters (2)
     TIE/v1 (1)

3x Storm Squadron Pilot (23)
     TIE/x1 (0)
     Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
100 points

Everybody takes focus. If your opponent shoots Rudor, he gets a TL and evade so he can use Juke when he fires his Thread Tracers, allowing the Storms to get locks and deal damage. Most of the time it doesn't work, but it's just wonky enough to be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Ready for a fun build that uses a TAP pilot you never see?

Valen Rudor (22)
     Juke (2)
     XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
     Autothrusters (2)
     TIE/v1 (1)

3x Storm Squadron Pilot (23)
     TIE/x1 (0)
     Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
100 points

Everybody takes focus. If your opponent shoots Rudor, he gets a TL and evade so he can use Juke when he fires his Thread Tracers, allowing the Storms to get locks and deal damage. Most of the time it doesn't work, but it's just wonky enough to be fun.

Valen Rudor with intensity and prockets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the thing about the TAP, it's an Imperial A-wing, only without the double <EPT> slot. So that being said the builds on it are somewhat limited.

Now Inquisitor was a great counter to Soontir an the autothrusters carried by many arc dogers. But x7 didn't depend on autothrusters, they couldn't even have them. So When autothrusters were not seen on the table, neither was the Inquisitor. As for A-wing, you have the snap juke A-wings which are the best build for 2 firepower, 3 agility 2 hull 2 shield ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've enjoyed it pretty much every time I've played it.  I think the real issue is it's not quite good enough to ace and not quite cheap enough to pocket.   So sometimes you get pocket ace value in your ace and sometimes you get an ace for value.

 

we need big brother and lil sis as pilots though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TAP is actually a pretty nice support ship fro Swarm leader builds - the title allows for TL + Evade.  It's a nice platform for juke as well, there's a lot of little builds lurking with it - people stay away because it otherwise has some action efficiency issues and low health - especially when confronted with hyper modified torp shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

No, no, no.  The A-Wing is an Rebel TAP.  Them bastards stole the plans and changed it enough to avoid patent infringement.

Thieves and copycats, the lot of 'em.

Well for Rebels everything they have is stolen, under Imperial Law anyone who incites or participates in rebellion or sedation forfeits all properties and goods and are confiscated by and considered the property of the Galactic Empire. So yes, Imperials also own B-wings, X-wings, Y-wings, E-wings, K-wings an any other letter in the alphabet as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-06-16 at 0:14 PM, Smutpedler said:

According to these forums:

1. Imps are dead.

2. He can't take mindlink.

3. It's not a Jumpmaster or Biggs.

Therefore it's rubbish.

 

According to list juggler and most tournament results as well. The reason why is very simple. The fragile balance needed to make the combination of low health with high agi work has been broken. By game design defense dices are statistically inferior to offense ones. When people are rolling 4-5 fully moded dices and doing 3-5 hit/crit per attack, the defense cant protect that low health. Combine that with the multiplication of options that bypass defense and you get the real explanation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thormind said:

 

According to list juggler and most tournament results as well. The reason why is very simple. The fragile balance needed to make the combination of low health with high agi work has been broken. By game design defense dices are statistically inferior to offense ones. When people are rolling 4-5 fully moded dices and doing 3-5 hit/crit per attack, the defense cant protect that low health. Combine that with the multiplication of options that bypass defense and you get the real explanation...

You're right; I know. I've said as much in other threads too.

But hyperbole is so much more emotive than data and fact...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2017 at 9:20 PM, Ravncat said:

TAP is actually a pretty nice support ship fro Swarm leader builds - the title allows for TL + Evade.  It's a nice platform for juke as well, there's a lot of little builds lurking with it - people stay away because it otherwise has some action efficiency issues and low health - especially when confronted with hyper modified torp shots.

I was coming on to post just this.  But after you pay for 2-3 what else is tough enough with remaining points to swarm leader?  When your leader gets alpha struck off the board can you finish a game with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/6/2017 at 0:20 AM, Icelom said:

I just won my local store championship with the inquistor in my list last weekend..

Its a strong ship its just not the current flavor of the month...

 

You are the hero that the imperial players need, but not the one that they like to read about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rakky Wistol said:

I was coming on to post just this.  But after you pay for 2-3 what else is tough enough with remaining points to swarm leader?  When your leader gets alpha struck off the board can you finish a game with them?

You don't run 3, I think.  You can fit 4 ships in a list, 1 SL ship, 2 TAPS and 1 other...    
For what you pay 1 point more than a juke ptl autothrusting green a-wing with refit,  for a baron with juke , title, thrusters.   In practice, the two ships are pretty similar, but the a-wings have more flexibility, the baron's fire early on.  The problem is the p.s. is too low for most swarm leader tricks (but it does do cool things with oicunn....)    But this means you can run trick shot, or adaptability, or crack shot,  or you can save points and run the blockers.

How you fly them, depends on which variant you are bringing - 34 points for a pair of the little guys doing TL ~ Evade  and blocking up the field, while you have 2 boss ships -  those little guys won't win endgame,  but you fly them aggressively. You use the opponents targeting choice against them - 2 die guns ignored, with TL at range 1, do a lot of damage, all while contributing to other things.   Vessery loves them for their late game TL's.  You have to position to punish alphastriking the leader - or make the leader a ship not worth alpha striking.

Inquis, Rudor, (same builds)  with SL, Tie D, Tractor beam, Engine upgrade Vessery is a beast of a list, provided you nail your approach.   (Swap to ION, and Tie MKII,  if you can't handle firing TB last)  In this case, the TAPS can handle themselves in endgame,  Juke + Swarm Leader  and Vessery triggering TLS - or rerolls if you need them on hit, give them consistent damage output, without the stress problems of PTL. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...