Sign in to follow this  
BlodVargarna

What ever happened to the TAP?

I flew against one last night and was reminded what a great little ship this was. Inquisitor with PTL and title was getting 3 actions a round, and 3 dice attack at range 1-3 with no additional defense dice for range 3. 

We called the game a bit early after I took out an Upsilon, but I was not looking forward to finishing off this little bugger. 

So are people overlooking this ship or is there some other reason we don't see it often anymore?

Inqy is a dark horse with lots of potential. I think people are just scared that his PS is too low for some matchups, or that he cant hold up against the RACLO boogeyman, or he needed Palp to keep him untouchable, or his 3 dice aren't enough punch. Added up, those reasons might suffice. I think he's still a fine choice, despite not having the beef of other Imps now.

TAP is a nice ship, however the fact that it only has 4hp with no extra defense shenanigans makes it pretty vulnerable in a meta that's tilted to reliably hunt Fenn Rau, 9-hp Jumpmasters and 6-hp Defenders.

Just now, PT106 said:

TAP is a nice ship, however the fact that it only has 4hp with no extra defense shenanigans makes it pretty vulnerable in a meta that's tilted to reliably hunt Fenn Rau, 9-hp Jumpmasters and 6-hp Defenders.

That 2 hull is weak but they can take Autothrusters and the TIE/v1 title for a free evade action after a target lock though.

The ps4 

2 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Come to my house.  Barons of the Empire rule the space lanes.  Just got 4 more in the mail yesterday :)

Yea the barons are fun. Slap title, ptl, and auto thrusters on them and they're a very capable ship for 25 points.

They are slightly more expensive than comparable awings, and you don't get the 2nd ept. But 3 actions a turn and access to barrel roll make up the difference. 

3 minutes ago, Tbetts94 said:

Sabine isn't prevalent enough, its really just Asajj. Never gonna do damage to her with 3 hits max and she can really screw you over. 

Well I mean...there's Fenn too.  Can't arc dodge him and he hits like a truck.

Sabine

Asajj

Dengavura

Biggs

Fenn

All of the above are nasty matchups for the inquisitor and happen to be popular in the metagame. That said, it is very good against Dash, and that advantage was abused by one of the top16 eurochamps players who brought him along with RAC.

Edited by Elavion

It's not a Scum ship, so it doesn't throw 60 red dice and get 30 focus tokens a round.

Kidding aside, yeah, you guys got it right; great little ship! But the Meta overall is just stacked against Aces like him, Soontir, Vader, etc. He does OK, but it's a real hard, uphill road against lots of the staples in tournaments. Imps need something to level the OP things out (boost these little guys in a squad) or a FAQ I think. I'm not sure just "get gud" is going to do it from this distance. But @Darth Meanie is correct, they are one of the best Epic ships to fly; fun!!

Hasn't The Inquisitor always been more or less a mini Soontir? If you're bringing one of the fragile imperial aces today you need a reason other than their repositioning and raw dice. The Inquisitor has an ability that is purely affecting his jousting value.  At the same point cost  you can get Carnor Jax, with an ability that affects your entire squadron (and especially Mindlink), or (cheaper) Omega Leader, who is a much better endgame ship. When Soontir Fel becomes good again, The Inquisitor will be right behind as the budget option. 

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Can't touch fenn rau for **** b

Inq is actually good against Fenn, turning off his autothrusters. Fenn only has the advantage at range 1.

The major problem is Fenn runs with jumpmasters and Lancers which are Inq weakness. His greens are the 1 moves, and then the straights. This means he cant clear stress unless to he does a 4 or 5 straight or else is blocked and then KABOOM. I still like him, and run him more than any other PTL imp ace, but lots of scary stuff out there against him.