Eggzavier

Newly seen FFG Thrawn Art

If you are not already aware, you should know FFG's proclivity to share art across it's various product lines, and across Star Wars in particular.

I mention this because we now have a new art piece of everyone's favorite Grand Admiral that I don't think we've seen before: 

swd07_thrawn.png

I might just be grasping at straws, but half of what we do on here is speculate wildly after all.

Thrawn incoming? Maybe on the Executor that is SWM20? :)

2 minutes ago, Eggzavier said:

If you are not already aware, you should know FFG's proclivity to share art across it's various product lines, and across Star Wars in particular.

I mention this because we now have a new art piece of everyone's favorite Grand Admiral that I don't think we've seen before: 

swd07_thrawn.png

I might just be grasping at straws, but half of what we do on here is speculate wildly after all.

Let it be so.... I just posted about this in the wave 7 prediction thread lol

Just now, Church14 said:

Cool Thrawn art, but please let FFG not Jam him in an SSD release.  It doesn't fit him thematically and would loss off players on a tight budget who don't want to shell out $100-150 for him

True, it was more for the wild optimism regarding Executor and SWM20 than for actually wanting Thrawn in such an expansion.

I'd like to see him in a Venator or the reskinned Chimera expansion.  Make Capital Ships Great Again.

MCSGA

Keep in mind that a new season of rebels is airing right about the time we should be expecting a wave 7 announcement.... we may be getting a whole new ship. One specially catered to Thrawn. But I definitely agree this bodes well for an Armada Thrawn release... why spend the money on art commissions if you can't use it in all your products?

53 minutes ago, Eggzavier said:

swd07_thrawn.png

I dropped by just to see if a thread like this existed.

Hopefully Thrawn will get me excited about the game again.  Until then, more 8th Ed. 40K I go!

So seeing the effect Thrawn has in Destiny you think FFG would try and do something similar to Armada? Typically FFG trys to keep a characters ability relatively the same throughout all their games, of course there are a few exceptions.

Reading this card, I am no Destiny player fyi, but would a Ability likes this for Thrawn be in the works?

Thrawn

20 points

You may discard an officer from each of your ships. For each officer you discard you may remove one or more of your opponents officers from play equal to the number of discard points from your officers.

Example 4 ships each with veteran officers = 12 points I may use to remove opponent officers. Raymus, 7 points, Ahsoka, 2 points, and  Flight commander, 3 points. Thoughts? I do realize this comes out to 11 of 12 points used, but that is a slight drawback.

9 minutes ago, Kerg12 said:

So seeing the effect Thrawn has in Destiny you think FFG would try and do something similar to Armada? Typically FFG trys to keep a characters ability relatively the same throughout all their games, of course there are a few exceptions.

Reading this card, I am no Destiny player fyi, but would a Ability likes this for Thrawn be in the works?

Thrawn

20 points

You may discard an officer from each of your ships. For each officer you discard you may remove one or more of your opponents officers from play equal to the number of discard points from your officers.

Example 4 ships each with veteran officers = 12 points I may use to remove opponent officers. Raymus, 7 points, Ahsoka, 2 points, and  Flight commander, 3 points. Thoughts? I do realize this comes out to 11 of 12 points used, but that is a slight drawback.

I think 20pts might be too cheap for an ability like this but I approve of anything that ***** the Rebels in their officer slots.

14 minutes ago, Kerg12 said:

Thrawn

20 points

Yeah, thats not going to happen.  The only admiral who affects the opponent is Konstantine, who is a corner case effect and has a lot of setup.  Just getting to discard Rebel Officers for some reason isn't going to happen, especially as it's really not related to Thrawn.

Also, as a Destiny player, Ackbar, Leia, Vader, and Mothma are all in Destiny and don't have abilities anywhere near their Armada equivalents.

4 minutes ago, geek19 said:

Yeah, thats not going to happen.  The only admiral who affects the opponent is Konstantine, who is a corner case effect and has a lot of setup.  Just getting to discard Rebel Officers for some reason isn't going to happen, especially as it's really not related to Thrawn.

Also, as a Destiny player, Ackbar, Leia, Vader, and Mothma are all in Destiny and don't have abilities anywhere near their Armada equivalents.

Then my thrawn card is done. I kind of figured destiny would be different from all the rest. I haven't kept up with any of it at all.

4 hours ago, Norsehound said:

Hmm, nice to see Wraithdt's original Thrawn piece return, as I expected it would. They're missing some details, but it looks like FFG didn't want to go with the original widow's peak.

Imperial Entanglements Box Art

In the new cannon the shoulder pads are as FFG image shows

11 hours ago, Norsehound said:

Hmm, nice to see Wraithdt's original Thrawn piece return, as I expected it would. They're missing some details, but it looks like FFG didn't want to go with the original widow's peak.

Imperial Entanglements Box Art

Technically this is not new art. I was commissioned for this way before it was announced that Thrawn would return in the new canon, hence why he looks like Legends Thrawn.  FFG ended up replacing him with Lando for the LCG cover at the behest of Lucasfilm. I knew then that something important was being planned for Thrawn because normally they would not have issues with FFG using Legends material.

After Lucasfilm dropped the bombshell in the Rebels season 3 trailer, FFG had to move quickly so they decide to reuse this art(with modifications) instead of commissioning a new one. I would've preferred the latter but I understood they were under time constrains, and also they had to rush it out for the SW Destiny launch event so that they could present it to this guy->>

Zahn_Thrawn.thumb.jpg.5889e74dacfe02585af7f88535dbdd00.jpg

Anyway, I hope I get another chance to do Thrawn for FFG so I can do a new canon version, similar to my recent fan art of him >> https://www.artstation.com/artwork/92Q5q

25 minutes ago, Wraithdt said:

Technically this is not new art. I was commissioned for this way before it was announced that Thrawn would return in the new canon, hence why he looks like Legends Thrawn.  FFG ended up replacing him with Lando for the LCG cover at the behest of Lucasfilm. I knew then that something important was being planned for Thrawn because normally they would not have issues with FFG using Legends material.

After Lucasfilm dropped the bombshell in the Rebels season 3 trailer, FFG had to move quickly so they decide to reuse this art(with modifications) instead of commissioning a new one. I would've preferred the latter but I understood they were under time constrains, and also they had to rush it out for the SW Destiny launch event so that they could present it to this guy->>

Anyway, I hope I get another chance to do Thrawn for FFG so I can do a new canon version, similar to my recent fan art of him >> https://www.artstation.com/artwork/92Q5q

Outstanding work!!!

4 hours ago, Wraithdt said:

Hey Wraith! Nice to see you here. Honestly I expected your fanart piece to be among the first FFG art for Thrawn, it's perfect enough!

I did have a wonder... when FFG asks to modify artwork, do they come back to you and ask for those modifications, or are they passed to another artist?