Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

Why does FFG only care about OT?

Hello , can someone explain to me why FFG only cares about the original trilogy ? im not even talking about rebels since it is at the same period
Why no love for prequels / sequels ? i mean how awesome would this game be if we could have the likes of Anakin, yoda, kylo ren, rey, droids army, grievous, dooku, etc etc.

Im glad they putted Maul in the show or he wasnt even going to be playable ever..

FFG does not only care about OT. They just do not like the prequels (SW I through III).

We have already seen Star Wars: Rebels content. Rogue One and Force Awakens are possible, although I think that Rebels and Rogue One would suit the game better than Force Awakens. Although time periods have been scrapped from new products, the game has kept itself fairly contained to the Deathstar era and feel.

I think we need to see more about where the following films will take us before we get campaigns set in the Force Awakens era.

well they might not enjoy it but they are still a company and they know that some ( a lot ) people enjoy the prequels, specially the era and characters . Im not talking about the films but about the eras. 

They added some prequel characters in Force and Destiny and people are enjoying that game alot ( from what i've saw so far ). I really hope they at least create new products in prequel time equal to imperial assault if they dont intend to expand this universe.

2 hours ago, goncardoso said:

i mean how awesome would this game be if we could have the likes of Anakin, yoda, kylo ren, rey, droids army, grievous, dooku, etc etc.

Pretty poor in a lot of people's eyes.

Despite several staunch advocates like yourself, if you read around on the internet, interviews with Disney brass, and those in charge of pushing the story forward and even game designers at FFG, many don't share your view.  Lot's of people hate the prequels and have sworn them off.  Some of Disney's guys say they didn't happen under the current timeline.

The license includes everything, as I think can be seen from Destiny, but FFG has indicated that they just do not like (to include) the prequel material. (Apart from when appropriate to appear in the timeline, like the Nexu - despite it being seen in the prequels.)

We have a lot of Rebels/Rogue One content to flesh out before they need to worry about moving on in the timeline. We've also seen our first taste of the comics with 0-0-0 and BT-1 so that just expands things even further.

Personally, I am ok with them staying in the OT era, it is in my opinion the best era and has just been receiving more and more content I'd rather check out.

I pretty much like all things SW, but I am really happy that IA has stayed put in the OT era. I'm really happy to see a move away from movie-themed expansions and look forward to see where we go next. My hope is that they stick with OT stuff at least until we've seen episode IX. I would venture to guess that a new trilogy era based core box might show up around that time. 

Sort of related: I really wonder how Disney and LF will handle the prequels. Do you think they'll ever try to reboot or heavily edit these? They have some interesting things about them, but really need someone new and innovative to give them new life. Or not.

There is a lot of Prequel content in Star Wars Destiny. 

There is a lot of prequel elements in the RPG, and sprinkled in their other games as well (ARC 170, Nexu, etc). 

My assumption is that it's just a marketing decision. As evidenced by comments in this thread and elsewhere, most of the people who play FFG games are also people who happen to prefer the OT over the PT. 

Most tabletop gamers are older men, and most older men hate the prequels (broad generalizations here obviously). Therefore if you're selling to a base of older men, maybe don't give them something they hate. 

Destiny is a game that probably has a younger target audience, so they felt better throwing prequel characters into it. 

That's my line of thinking anyway. 

It also has to do with tying in to what's happening now in the franchise. We've seen lots of Force Awakens and Star Wars Rebels content because that's what's current. It helps to tie into things that are more on people's minds. 

Maaaaaaybe after they see how much love for the prequel content Battlefront II is getting, they might start considering branching out more. But then again like I said, my assumption is that the target audience just doesn't care for that stuff. Even the Rebels content makes a lot of people around here turn up their noses. 

Edited by RogueLieutenant

again people are close minded and dumb . no one is talking about the movies, im talking about the era. no one care if u dont like prequels, people like the era. I would love to see that time in game and i dont have problems admiting i liked the prequels . me and alot of people.

and what are they going to cover after OT ? they pretty much putted all in the game, only endor and death star left. its my opinion if they keep with OT the game will die in a time.

Edited by goncardoso

19 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

and what are they going to cover after OT ? they pretty much putted all in the game, only endor and death star left. its my opinion if they keep with OT the game will die in a time.

Did you forget the Heart of the Empire announcement so soon? HotE is Coruscant, potentially set before season 4 of SW: Rebels, which is before/concurrent with Rogue One, which is before episode IV, which is just before the core game.

There are a lot of settings to take advantage of within these decades. The biggest issue is choosing ones that make the skirmish game better and also provide a consistent campaign experience.

Also, don't forget that all (or most) of the existing side missions are expected to integrate with new content.

My assumption was HotE takes place before season 1 of Rebels. Or at least before season 2. 

Because Ahsoka and Maul are around. 

@goncardoso a lot of people don't separate the era from the movies. they just tend to hate universally when it comes to that stuff. 

As for running out of stuff in the OT era after Endor, they've shown with HotE they're willing to go and do their own thing, which is the cool part about IA; all of the FFG original characters and stories. They've shown in IA and other games that they're cool with taking stuff from comics too, of which most of the canon comics take place in the OT. So they've got plenty of space to work with if they don't want to leave the era. 

I'd go nuts if we got a Clone Wars era game from FFG. I need more Cad Bane in my life. But I'd personally prefer it to sort of be a stand-alone thing rather than just an IA expansion. Even if it's the same game, but called Republic Assault or whatever. just my personal preference though. I'm cool with the era mixing in Destiny because that game is pretty abstracted compared to IA. 

33 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

again people are close minded and dumb . no one is talking about the movies, im talking about the era. no one care if u dont like prequels, people like the era. I would love to see that time in game and i dont have problems admiting i liked the prequels . me and alot of people.

I don't think that anybody's necessarily closed-minded or dumb because they prefer one era of Star Wars over another.  As Rogue Lieutenant said, a lot of us grew up in a time when there was only the original trilogy (although in my case I also had the old EU books like the Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing series, which probably did more to foster my love of Star Wars than the movies themselves).  I watched the prequel movies when they came out and I thought they were fine; nothing mind-blowing but I enjoyed them well enough.  Ditto the clone wars series when I watched it on Netflix - that had some really good three-episode arcs here and there towards the end, but there was also a bunch of pretty boring filler in between (at least from a then-30-year-old's point of view :P).  I like some of the character designs from that era and I think that a Mace Windu, a Cad Bane or a General Grievous would make for a cool Imperial Assault mini, but things like the trade federation droids, clone troopers or most of the other random Jedi running around just don't really do anything for me.

But all of that is just my opinion, which is no more (or less) valid than yours or anybody else's, and I'm sure you're right that there are a lot of people out there that really like the prequel time period.  But are those the people the same people that buy IA merchandise, or is this game mostly supported by us "old folks" (do I qualify? :P) who would be quicker to buy up the things that we connect with more strongly?  FFG obviously thinks it's the latter based on what's been released to date, but who knows?  Maybe sales of Maul and Ahsoka will go through the roof and they might start to change their minds?

at the very least, non OT time period would have to have completely new factions. Jedi Anakin wasn't a rebel, and he wasn't empire. They would need a republic faction and a separatist faction, and it would have to be a massive expansion to make the new factions relatively competitive.

im not hating the OT , i love it . And i understand why they bring OT to people. Is just i wanted a more expanded universe here to get more options and different eras. Like i said i'm happy they got a way to bring Maul to the game, and yeah they can possibly get ways of making this game endure but i prefer that ideas of having a republic and separatist faction more.

is just my opinion, i'm sad that they dont like the prequels enough to make a "Republic Assault" like it was said above. 

19 minutes ago, RogueLieutenant said:

Yeah. That's why it makes more sense to me to just be a separate game. 

Even the mercenaries of the day make more sense as a new faction. Jabba is the only unique I can think of who would be in both time periods. Just call them bounty hunters or some other generic third faction name.

My preference is that they keep exploring new worlds in the OT timeline. I want a Kashyyyk box. the campaign can focus around the empire's deforestation and underground mining of the time. We can all agree that the thing this game needs most desperately is more Wookies. 

1 hour ago, RogueLieutenant said:

I'd go nuts if we got a Clone Wars era game from FFG. I need more Cad Bane in my life. But I'd personally prefer it to sort of be a stand-alone thing rather than just an IA expansion. Even if it's the same game, but called Republic Assault or whatever. just my personal preference though.

I'd be pretty stoked about something like:

myGbWSg.png

I mean, the Runebound universe has paved the way for Star Wars successors before...

9 hours ago, goncardoso said:

Hello , can someone explain to me why FFG only cares about the original trilogy ? im not even talking about rebels since it is at the same period
Why no love for prequels / sequels ? i mean how awesome would this game be if we could have the likes of Anakin, yoda, kylo ren, rey, droids army, grievous, dooku, etc etc.

Im glad they putted Maul in the show or he wasnt even going to be playable ever..

That wouldn't be awesome at all.  It was supposed to be an OT game.  I hope it stays that way.  I'm not particularly happy with Ahsoka and Maul (my Maul hatred runs much deeper, I was pretty PO'd when they brought him into the Clone Wars to begin with) The last thing I want is this to turn into Star Wars miniatures.   I'm with FFG.  They want to create a Clone Strike IA part duex, go ahead, but I won't be playing it.  I don't even care for the Rebels content.  IA is Rebels.  A team of heroes fighting the Empire outside of the canon characters, why do we need to shoehorn the Ghost crew into it?

Don't like it, don't buy it.

Sales will speak louder than anything else.  FFG will get the hint as to what is/isn't successful based on how well Rebels vs OT vs whatever sells.

That being said, I can't see Anakin, Dooku, Grievous, or coked up Yoda entering the fray.

Old wizened samurai Yoda however (ROTJ) I can see joining us after HotE.  In fact, I would love to see Yoda as a force ghost.

Prequels can stay in the extra long time ago in a galaxy far far away ;)

4 hours ago, goncardoso said:

Ironically your backlash seems close-minded.  Let me explain;

I feel embarrassed for Star Wars fans for having to have had the experience of watching that misfire of a series we know as the prequels.  While there are some good concepts there, saying they didn't stick the landing would be putting it mildly.

This particular game is called "Imperial Assault" which naturally would imply some sort of attack or conflict from an Empire, thus we get the time period and setting we have.

We got the real-life Prequel Assault back in the time period spanning 1999-2005.

To start cramming in prequel trilogy heavy content would be to shift focus from this game's branding and direction.

Though I abhor those movies, and to a lesser extent Rogue One, I get that people love them (for reasons I'll never understand) and that's quite fine.  Content from that era can be found sprinkled elsewhere.

It's by that same token I'm in no hurry to see anything from the sequel trilogy tossed into this game yet, even though I loved The Force Awakens.  This is presented to the world as an Original Trilogy era game of campaigns and skirmishes, pew pew pew action with things we associate with that look.

Granted, there's a Nexu in the game, but the Nexu wasn't really an embarrassment in those movies either.  It was a neat design for a creature, which is a very Star Warsy thing to have, and in the context of this game, it fits right in with a menagerie of beasts including a Bantha, a Wampa, and a Rancor, though I don't think our killer kitty is considered as "iconic" by the people reading this post.  Also it's kind of fun to play, and its design in the game mechanics sense is interesting.

On the horizon we have Heart of the Empire laid out for us, and an inevitable Endor expansion soon after I'm sure.  After that, who knows what's next?  The movies will have been mined of most of their recognizable content, other than the tons of obscure aliens and creatures seen in the Mos Eisley Cantina and Jabba's Palace in the movies.

Maybe that's when they make a standalone expansion involving the First Order/Resistance conflict of the sequel trilogy.  It'll be a hot item in the front of everyone's mind, and I can't imagine Rey and Kylo Ren figures NOT selling.

Or maybe they'll do something even more interesting and flip the script, making a campaign expansion that has the heroes as Imperials fighting of a REBEL ASSAULT?!

FFG is nothing if not shameless in their love for aping the material of the classic '90's Star Wars videogames, with the Outrider/Starviper in X-Wing from Shadows of the Empire, the Phantom from Rebel Assault 2, the TIE Defender from TIE-Fighter (Defender of the Empire expansion, naturally).

They even (more or less) made a board game remake of Rebellion.

Personally I would be virtually assured to plunk down some cash on a Rebel Assault campaign module, if only to get that rare chance to play the "bad guys" (from a certain point of view), which is an experience that I find is sorely lacking in these kinds of titles.

There's a pretty enthusiastic community of videogamers playing the heck out of Friday the 13th right now because sometimes you get to be Jason and drown a foolish counsellor in a lake, but often you're just trying to frantically repair a car before your head becomes separated from the rest of you.  Variety is the spice of life.

And I'd sooner prefer my variety in this game to include a Rebel Assault game than moving around those embarrassing battle droids around on a table.