Sulfurious

FAQ/Rules Clarifications Compilation?

Couldn't agree more!

Top points I'd like clarification on are:

1) What upgrades are used by a unit of one faction that is taken in a different factions army.

2) More clarification on the assigning damage/splitting a unit question.

3) Can units that are engaged in Melee still use ranged attacks against other units they are not engaged with.

Does Ardus' ability to gain the surge abilities of nearby units do the following:

1) Only cost 1 surge if a nearby Archer squad has Combat Ingenuity instead of 2 to apply a blight
2) Gain the surge of an upgrade card, such as Mastercrafted Weapons, that is on a friendly unit and not Ardus.

21 hours ago, stet2 said:

Couldn't agree more!

Top points I'd like clarification on are:

1) What upgrades are used by a unit of one faction that is taken in a different factions army.

2) More clarification on the assigning damage/splitting a unit question.

3) Can units that are engaged in Melee still use ranged attacks against other units they are not engaged with.

I can answer point three right now. As the rules state under 65.2

"A unit cannot perform a ranged attack if it is engaged."

2 hours ago, Orcdruid said:

I can answer point three right now. As the rules state under 65.2

"A unit cannot perform a ranged attack if it is engaged."

Cool. I should have added ranged effects to that point as well though as I meant stuff like the Carrion Lancers spitting of blight (etc) too.

Not beeing an native English speaker, it is not crystal clear to me whether the Carrion Lancer can blight units not engaged with itself, but with other units, or not? I guess since it is not phrased "engaged with you" the target can't be engaged with any unit whatsoever. Though I'm not sure that would make thematic sence since a few collatoral drips of spit should be fine with a dead guy dedicated to the cause, right ;) ?

Edited by Maktorius
Trying to improve the language to make the question clearer

Take it as "cant be engaged with any unit whatsoever"

Reason:
If the target unit is engaged with you, they are "engaged" with something. Lancer's ability only specifies that they are not engaged, and theres nothing special about WHO theyre engaged with - theyre still engaged.

This is why i like Archers as my main blight source: they can shoot into combat at a minor risk to myself, lancers cant do jack

9 hours ago, Sulfurious said:

In the Supply Raid scenario, do you have to end your turn overlapping an objective? Or can you move over it during your movement and claim it?

I've seen it played both ways. 

Overlapping happens at any point during movement. If it didn't there would be more clarity when it comes to terrain.

Hi all,

Last night me and some friends decided to play our first game. A situation came up we could not find a answer for. We found the rules for range stating that you can not use range while in combat but we could not find any ruling on can they shot while another unit is in combat. Example my skeleton archers wanted to shoot at his spearmen but they was engaged with my lancers. So my question is can you shoot at someone in combat and if so where is it in the rules book?

4 minutes ago, mirdin01 said:

Hi all,

Last night me and some friends decided to play our first game. A situation came up we could not find a answer for. We found the rules for range stating that you can not use range while in combat but we could not find any ruling on can they shot while another unit is in combat. Example my skeleton archers wanted to shoot at his spearmen but they was engaged with my lancers. So my question is can you shoot at someone in combat and if so where is it in the rules book?

"65.2  A unit cannot perform a ranged attack if it is engaged."

And as a kind reminder for all who read this thread, the purpose of this thread is to compile those issues that have been discussed in other threads and ended with the conclusions that we just have to wait for an FAQ. New questions should be posted in their own threads so that a discussion can take place before that question is posted here.

1 hour ago, mirdin01 said:

Hi all,

You can target enemies that are engaged with other units.  If those other units are allies, they suffer a severity 1 morale test.

The timing of squaring up in relation to movement when overlapping a friendly uninits base. 

Ie can I move over a friendly base if the resulting enemy collision would trigger an enguagement and squaring up.

"touching"

"corner to corner engagement" 

2 hours ago, TylerTT said:

The timing of squaring up in relation to movement when overlapping a friendly uninits base. 

Ie can I move over a friendly base if the resulting enemy collision would trigger an enguagement and squaring up.

"touching"

"corner to corner engagement" 

You have to finish moving before squaring up. So if you can clear the friendly base and collide with the enemy before squaring up your fine.   Hope that made sense

What's going on with section 18 (Collision)?

"After a unit performs a march ( ? ) or shift ( ? ) action, if it is touching an obstacle that it was not touching before performing that action, it has collided with that obstacle."

This part in bold has done nothing but cause problems. It caused people at one time to think you can completely ignore obstacles after a turn of bumping into the obstacle and stopping, but it also suggests that if you collide with an obstacle with capacity but don't enter it, you'll have to back up and "get a running start" to enter it later. In other words, if you're touching an obstacle, you have to stop touching the obstacle before you can collide with it a second time, because ...

81.1 "If a piece of terrain has a capacity value, a unit can choose to enter and occupy a piece of that terrain when that unit collides with it."

If you can't collide with something you're already touching, you can't enter terrain you were touching. Another instance where this comes up is if you defeat an enemy inside terrain. Now you can't enter it unless you back up first. Very strange rule. I'm very interested to get a clarification on this situation, because the rules-as-written don't quite make sense, thematically, even though they're functional and straightforward from a procedural perspective.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

What's going on with section 18 (Collision)?

"After a unit performs a march ( ? ) or shift ( ? ) action, if it is touching an obstacle that it was not touching before performing that action, it has collided with that obstacle."

This part in bold has done nothing but cause problems. It caused people at one time to think you can completely ignore obstacles after a turn of bumping into the obstacle and stopping, but it also suggests that if you collide with an obstacle with capacity but don't enter it, you'll have to back up and "get a running start" to enter it later. In other words, if you're touching an obstacle, you have to stop touching the obstacle before you can collide with it a second time, because ...

81.1 "If a piece of terrain has a capacity value, a unit can choose to enter and occupy a piece of that terrain when that unit collides with it."

If you can't collide with something you're already touching, you can't enter terrain you were touching. Another instance where this comes up is if you defeat an enemy inside terrain. Now you can't enter it unless you back up first. Very strange rule. I'm very interested to get a clarification on this situation, because the rules-as-written don't quite make sense, thematically, even though they're functional and straightforward from a procedural perspective.

Thankfully RRG 60.1 covers this situation with another condition for a collision. As far as I can tell, RRG 18 is only good for preventing you from resolving a collision while EXITING terrain, and perhaps also in the incredibly rare case that you manage to touch but not overlap an obstacle with your movement.

It's definitely strange though, and we recently ruled in a game that you'd have to back up to enter terrain in this fashion because RRG 18 seemed quite clear and we didn't want to spend too much time scouring the rules.

3 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

Thankfully RRG 60.1 covers this situation with another condition for a collision. As far as I can tell, RRG 18 is only good for preventing you from resolving a collision while EXITING terrain, and perhaps also in the incredibly rare case that you manage to touch but not overlap an obstacle with your movement.

It's definitely strange though, and we recently ruled in a game that you'd have to back up to enter terrain in this fashion because RRG 18 seemed quite clear and we didn't want to spend too much time scouring the rules.

It's also what makes closing in work.

When you close in, you physically cannot overlap the enemy you are closing in on because a 1 shift is the exact length of a tray.

The most you can do is touch.

This also covers edge cases (literally) where a perfect length move puts you in contact with an enemy but not overlapping.