Sign in to follow this  
Zazaa

PWT&Secondary Turret to Mobile Arcs?

1 hour ago, freakyg3 said:

Give the fire spray a mobile arc and I am in 

In place of its auxiliary Firing Arc I assume.  Of course if you do that you're actually talking about something that would be a pure upgrade instead of something that I'll say is over 90% nerf.  Mobile Fire Arcs have one advantage over traditional PWT/turret language and that involves "in arc" effects; without any of those MA are a pure downgrade and if "in arc" effects already matter then THOSE are already acting as a nerf to the traditional PWT/turret upgrade.

I keep seeing this.  There's this weird mentality that mobile arcs are strictly worse than PWTs when really it's just not true.  They're just different.

Seriously turning every PWT ship into a 180 degree arc ship with the ability to ignore autothrusters and trigger in-arc effects for free (let alone a point reduction!) would potentially make them even stronger.

17 minutes ago, Zefirus said:

I keep seeing this.  There's this weird mentality that mobile arcs are strictly worse than PWTs when really it's just not true.  They're just different.

Seriously turning every PWT ship into a 180 degree arc ship with the ability to ignore autothrusters and trigger in-arc effects for free (let alone a point reduction!) would potentially make them even stronger.

Strictly worse?  No.  As you mention those "in-arc" effects do give MA an edge although at the same time those same things are already a "nerf" to "outside your firing arc" attacks which have a harder time using them or must account for them.

Worse in an overall sense especially when point values are no concern?  MA certainly IS worse.

If they are so "different" then why do we keep seeing these suggestions that "PWT and turret upgrades should all use the Mobile Firing Arc mechanics instead," thread popping up?  They CAN NOT BE DIFFERENT if you think that one can simply trade one for the other without some pretty major shakeups.