Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tunewalker

Hero vs Villain

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, KotasMilitia said:

Yes i think so. For example, if I have a Bowcaster in my hand turn one, and I want to get it out early, is it better to not spend the two resources on DD and save them so I start the next round with 4? Or would it be better for me to pay the 2 now for both DD, roll the force speed (pitching a card if necessary), and start the next round with 4 anyways but now with an established extra income for the rest of the game? Again, it depends on your strategy, but for me it is worth it to take one/two actions turn 1. Any later I agree it isn't worth it, but I think there are several other cards where you wouldn't play them outside turn 1 or 2.

Precisely why I put it in the same batch as It binds all things in this case, its kind of a card you want to see in the first couple rounds but if you see them later they are just dead cards in your deck, which is actually not that a-typical of resource generating supports which is why honestly I am fine with DD I just wanted to point out how ALL of the cards that are "hit a side" on villain are 0 while ALL of them on hero are 1 seems a little intentionally unbalanced DD is the only 1 that I can justify its cost as its role is more in line with It binds all things then it is with the other "hit a side" cards.

Edited by tunewalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Hey, @tunewalker and @AlexW, just wanted to give a brief report of the tournament I took Luminara/Rey to. It did not perform as well as last time, partly due to me confusing whether Force Illusion discards cards from hand or deck (yes, I know, idiotic mistake... gotta read the stupid card before I use it), and also partly because I did not draw a vibroknife in my starting hand in any of the four games, even with mulligan-ing most of my hand... but yes, I will concede that although perhaps another day I might have won several of the games I lost, none of the decks I faced were the big tier-1 decks anyway. So I was sitting there afterwards, a little shell-shocked, thinking perhaps blue hero was a waste of my time. Everyone else in the tournament got several packs of SoR as a prize, but I only got one pack, the other people in the lowest four having dropped already. Well, that one pack was Obi-Wan! So now I have my second Obi-Wan dice... I guess it was karma - the universe is telling me that I must play blue heroes! 

Next step: get Luke... good thing I preordered two boxes of Awakenings from Team Covenant!

Honestly was hoping you would try a deck that didnt have rey for the action cheating like a "Luminara.... Finn????" or something 1 dice luminara 1 dice Acolyte 1 dice Padawan (btw I have been messing with Acolyte and I LOVE Determination with them if you hit a focus side on a dice turning ANY of their sides into anything you want... and if it matches another dice increasing its value by 1 is amazing.... if only there was a way to pair them with red for 3P0 and not have them instantly die....) I dont know I am a sucker for trying hero without Rey or Maz since to me they really are the only thing keeping hero in the game right now....and yet I still fall back on both when I want a competitive deck, I just wish I didnt have to you know? Also Luke Rey is a deck that works from what I have heard, you basically use reys crap dice for Gaurd and Caution and her ability to get upgrades out if they focus her 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tunewalker said:

Honestly was hoping you would try a deck that didnt have rey for the action cheating like a "Luminara.... Finn????" or something 1 dice luminara 1 dice Acolyte 1 dice Padawan (btw I have been messing with Acolyte and I LOVE Determination with them if you hit a focus side on a dice turning ANY of their sides into anything you want... and if it matches another dice increasing its value by 1 is amazing.... if only there was a way to pair them with red for 3P0 and not have them instantly die....) I dont know I am a sucker for trying hero without Rey or Maz since to me they really are the only thing keeping hero in the game right now....and yet I still fall back on both when I want a competitive deck, I just wish I didnt have to you know? Also Luke Rey is a deck that works from what I have heard, you basically use reys crap dice for Gaurd and Caution and her ability to get upgrades out if they focus her 

Yes, I wish I'd had the guts to play a non-Rey deck as well, but Luminara/Rey is probably somewhere at the bottom of tier 2 as far as decks go. That's why I can do ok in our local tournament, because there's no Poe/Maz and very little Palpatine where I am. I think it would be fun in casual play to try something else out, and I have heard that Luminara/Padawan/Acolyte isn't terrible, but I'm not at the point yet where I feel like bringing a tier 3 deck to a tournament. The game is still young, and this summer I'd like to see if I can get some acrylic tokens (the cardboard ones are starting to fade)! Meanwhile, I'll gladly keep bringing my tier 4 decks to X-Wing tournaments...:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Yes, I wish I'd had the guts to play a non-Rey deck as well, but Luminara/Rey is probably somewhere at the bottom of tier 2 as far as decks go. That's why I can do ok in our local tournament, because there's no Poe/Maz and very little Palpatine where I am. I think it would be fun in casual play to try something else out, and I have heard that Luminara/Padawan/Acolyte isn't terrible, but I'm not at the point yet where I feel like bringing a tier 3 deck to a tournament. The game is still young, and this summer I'd like to see if I can get some acrylic tokens (the cardboard ones are starting to fade)! Meanwhile, I'll gladly keep bringing my tier 4 decks to X-Wing tournaments...:D

The issue is that, even not counting Rey's ability, she's the only character in that point range that can bring two dice and do damage even if those dice aren't great.    Villains have Nines and Kylo to fill that spot.

I've been wondering if something like eLuke+Maz could work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luke maz is good. Here is what I run. 26 man sc victory. It doesn't use these supports, it's not an easy piloted deck since, you have to learn when to spend your resources proactively or reactively, sometimes you just can't afford to play the vibroknife even if you like action cheating. There is a write up on the decklist but I assure you that Luke works. I like eluke rey more than eluke emaz but I also didn't put an appropriate amount of time in the deck to truly give it an honest comparison. 

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/10690/rebeltrooperslukereydeck-2.0

Here us a link to a deck tech video unNerv3d made about the deck with me as a guest.

Hope any of this info helps guide the luke decks down the direction of success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexW said:

The issue is that, even not counting Rey's ability, she's the only character in that point range that can bring two dice and do damage even if those dice aren't great.    Villains have Nines and Kylo to fill that spot.

Agreed. Three characters filling that role still isn't a lot though... I wish there were more characters in that 11-13 point range for elite. There's only a few, and almost all the characters who cost 10/14 are support or mill-type characters. It's weird that the most useful characters are the core set characters. When I just got those starter sets but no boosters yet, I figured a lot more characters would be in that point range... hopefully Empire at War has more cheap characters. It's kind of weird that each set has four characters per faction and the characters are predictably 8, 11/14, 13/17, and 15/20, give or take a couple points, so half of the characters are expensive enough that they dominate any deck they're in...

edit: haha! Never mind! Just saw Ezra in the EaW spoiler! 

Edited by Kieransi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rebeltrooper said:

Luke maz is good. Here is what I run. 26 man sc victory. It doesn't use these supports, it's not an easy piloted deck since, you have to learn when to spend your resources proactively or reactively, sometimes you just can't afford to play the vibroknife even if you like action cheating. There is a write up on the decklist but I assure you that Luke works. I like eluke rey more than eluke emaz but I also didn't put an appropriate amount of time in the deck to truly give it an honest comparison. 

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/10690/rebeltrooperslukereydeck-2.0

Here us a link to a deck tech video unNerv3d made about the deck with me as a guest.

Hope any of this info helps guide the luke decks down the direction of success.

Actually I know about this and I know this deck is awesome the issue for me is the fact that I dont have any vibro knives or Force speeds and no one in my area is trading for those at the moment, I kind of run on a budget and last set honestly I had no issue playing on a budget, with Luke Ackbar and 0 Legendaries other then the Luke utilizing mostly commons a few key uncommons and rares many of which came from the starter decks and could compete, now I feel I need to buy at least 2-3 boxes to actually compete and I just cant afford that :( honestly maybe I will put up my available trades and maybe give it a shot, but ya I know about this deck just dont have the cards needed to run it. It was just this line and the sheer number of viable villain decks vs the number of viable hero decks, also i really do believe you MIGHT be able to run a similar deck with Obi-wan as a replacement for Luke if any one hasnt tried that I think they both fill a similar slot in this kind of deck. :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rebeltrooper said:

Luke maz is good. Here is what I run. 26 man sc victory. It doesn't use these supports, it's not an easy piloted deck since, you have to learn when to spend your resources proactively or reactively, sometimes you just can't afford to play the vibroknife even if you like action cheating. There is a write up on the decklist but I assure you that Luke works. I like eluke rey more than eluke emaz but I also didn't put an appropriate amount of time in the deck to truly give it an honest comparison. 

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/10690/rebeltrooperslukereydeck-2.0

Here us a link to a deck tech video unNerv3d made about the deck with me as a guest.

Hope any of this info helps guide the luke decks down the direction of success.

This was an excellent breakdown and analysis.  Thanks for the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AlexW said:

This was an excellent breakdown and analysis.  Thanks for the link.

It's me in the interview, but it's for a community content creator that I'm sure would appreciate the feedback if u like it or comment in his youtube link.

Edited by Rebeltrooper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Rebeltrooper said:

It's me in the interview, but it's for a community content creator that I'm sure would appreciate the feedback if u like it or comment in his youtube link.

Will do.  I was surprised there wasn't more discussion/activity because it was a very good in depth dive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...