Sign in to follow this  
Mackaywarrior

SO I am thinking of making a website

The website with just be a hobby space for me to do space-related tutorials. If I added a section about X-Wing (Since, let's face it, Star Wars is why anyone gets into space) What would y'all like to see? I am no tactician or anything like that. Maybe custom scenarios? I am not really sure what I would do, I just know I want to do it. 

The content needs to come before the website.  People don't go to websites because you have one, they go because you have something worth sharing.  I would suggest taking some time to really think about what is the purpose of having the website.  Are you looking to blog your personal experiences?  Do you want to share a HotAC-type campaign?  Is it for your local community to do a monthly tourney?  Do you have a particular skill (repaint, mod, asteroids, etc) that you want to share?

Once you answer those questions, then you can start talking about your website and how you should portray what you want to share.  Most of what I just said is probably done better by utilizing a specific social media service anyways.

1 hour ago, Mackaywarrior said:

(Since, let's face it, Star Wars is why anyone gets into space)

Was stargate for me, was star trek for many, many people. Of course, SW attracted a lot of folks as well, but it definitely wasn't the only reason.

1 hour ago, Khyros said:

The content needs to come before the website.  People don't go to websites because you have one, they go because you have something worth sharing.  I would suggest taking some time to really think about what is the purpose of having the website.  Are you looking to blog your personal experiences?  Do you want to share a HotAC-type campaign?  Is it for your local community to do a monthly tourney?  Do you have a particular skill (repaint, mod, asteroids, etc) that you want to share?

Once you answer those questions, then you can start talking about your website and how you should portray what you want to share.  Most of what I just said is probably done better by utilizing a specific social media service anyways.

I disagree- if making a site is what he enjoys, then there's no reason not to.

As for content, just pump out what you want. Just make sure you enjoy it, otherwise you will burn out really fast.

4 hours ago, Khyros said:

I have a general idea of what I want the content to be. The X-Wing part was just a side bar which is why I was trying to gauge what is in demand lol

I am also glad my comment was able to root out the Star Trek fans lol. My dad got into space from Starblazers.

Edited by Mackaywarrior

X-Wing has enough meta discussion, squad-building tools, etc. Honestly, the whole 100-point game is overdone. 

If you do it, focus on epic, campaigns (HotAC style for example) or other fun, overlooked stuff that isn't the 100-point game!

8 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Websites are now overpriced, the $$$$ it takes to sustain a domain name is ridiculous. Unless you are making money off of it (which odds are you are not) don't bother.

Really? I'm paying $150 per year for hosting and backups for meta-wing.com, and something like $20 for the domain...

1 hour ago, haslo said:

Really? I'm paying $150 per year for hosting and backups for meta-wing.com, and something like $20 for the domain...

10 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Websites are now overpriced, the $$$$ it takes to sustain a domain name is ridiculous. Unless you are making money off of it (which odds are you are not) don't bother.

I pay £5 a month for hosting and between £10 ad £15 a year for the domain. Granted it's not the perfect domain but it's close enough. It's not that expensive.