Sign in to follow this  
DerBaer

Easy Fix for Mercs

I think removing Temp. would be good. Then you can still ally in droids via eJawa. Also rids the game of 'some' thematic issues (though also prohibits one from making a pre-ANH Scum list with Jabba and Han :))

Probably would, but it takes away Gideon, and then you probably need to have Jabba. That is still 11 points in support, and less "supporty" than the 3PO, Gideon and Jabba that some were running.

Though by removing Temp. I'll miss the chance to make some fun Smuggler lists with rebel scum.

Id rather wait. They errate'd royal guard and Sabs and both of those hardly get played now. Since you guys are only worried about tournaments, just ban the cards for tournament play only.

i said all along the Weequay should have been smuggler troopers not hunters

I actually think it would be a great idea. This demarcates the playstyles of the factions more, with rebels being the one with abundant access to focus as a unique ability. Credit where credit is due though, DerBaer, as Knallhase mentioned exactly this idea in the thread about fixing Vinto and the ePirates. 

Edited by Jimmy Caladro
Typos

for the record, I don't think they need fixing.  but rather than screw up the game like they did with x-wing, I'd rather wait til the next big thing comes out than totally remove a playstyle or army building staple of the game.

Rebels are Mercs anyway thematically what's the difference?

53 minutes ago, nickv2002 said:

What do you think about an errata to both Temp Aliances to make them able to bring non-Uniques only?

I'm okay to wait on any Temporary Alliance changes until after Heart of the Empire & the next expansion box (probably Rebels-focused) wave comes out. 

I understand the frustration with having two Focus-based figures getting brought into a list that has (currently) the greatest damage-dealing units into the game. There's not much fun running a list that's way behind the power curve... or feeling forced into running lists that are current with the meta. For example, I have been trying to find an "easy-to-play-as-just-focusing-weequays-and-Greedo" Imperial list for my son that could dance toe-to-toe with eWeequays and JK Luke/eAllianceRangers. Right now, there isn't an easy-to-play list like that. We tried a creature list last night and I easily picked off his Dewbacks with Mercs. He got frustrated.

Clearly the designers and FFG wants to support a IA Skirmish game that hits harder and ends sooner than the one that was being played before. Everything that we've seen so far in Heart of the Empire and the Force User blister wave have designed improvements for both Imps and Rebels to meet those goals for the Skirmish game. Unfortunately it just takes time to bring all factions up to the new power level required. We just have to wait.

Once all the new stuff is out, we'll be able to see *exactly* how powerful Temporary Alliance will be in this post-Jabba's Realm world. It may still be too much, and if so, we'll see it changed or removed via the FAQs.

Tonight, my son and I are going to be testing some custom skirmish upgrades. It'll be more fun for him because he'll feel like he has a good chance at smashing my army and accomplishing objectives. He'll be able to use Kayn Somos, his favorite. He doesn't care about about winning a tournament; he cares about winning against me. There's nothing wrong with either winning goal (at tourney, vs. his dad), but in our non-tournament setting, we have agency to balance the game as we see fit. For now -- in the middle of this sea change of the Skirmish game -- that's good enough for us.

Edited by cnemmick

1 hour ago, cnemmick said:

I'm okay to wait on any Temporary Alliance changes until after Heart of the Empire & the next expansion box (probably Rebels-focused) wave comes out. 

I understand the frustration with having two Focus-based figures getting brought into a list that has (currently) the greatest damage-dealing units into the game. There's not much fun running a list that's way behind the power curve... or feeling forced into running lists that are current with the meta. For example, I have been trying to find an "easy-to-play-as-just-focusing-weequays-and-Greedo" Imperial list for my son that could dance toe-to-toe with eWeequays and JK Luke/eAllianceRangers. Right now, there isn't an easy-to-play list like that. We tried a creature list last night and I easily picked off his Dewbacks with Mercs. He got frustrated.

Clearly the designers and FFG wants to support a IA Skirmish game that hits harder and ends sooner than the one that was being played before. Everything that we've seen so far in Heart of the Empire and the Force User blister wave have designed improvements for both Imps and Rebels to meet those goals for the Skirmish game. Unfortunately it just takes time to bring all factions up to the new power level required. We just have to wait.

Once all the new stuff is out, we'll be able to see *exactly* how powerful Temporary Alliance will be in this post-Jabba's Realm world. It may still be too much, and if so, we'll see it changed or removed via the FAQs.

Tonight, my son and I are going to be testing some custom skirmish upgrades. It'll be more fun for him because he'll feel like he has a good chance at smashing my army and accomplishing objectives. He'll be able to use Kayn Somos, his favorite. He doesn't care about about winning a tournament; he cares about winning against me. There's nothing wrong with either winning goal (at tourney, vs. his dad), but in our non-tournament setting, we have agency to balance the game as we see fit. For now -- in the middle of this sea change of the Skirmish game -- that's good enough for us.

Two sets of eJets with Terro and bring in some ePigs have been doing pretty good for me against eQuays and hunters if you want something for your son to try. Unfortunately I've been getting rocked by eRangers with it though. 

Weequay don't really have a chance against Jedi Luke and Ashoka  together, both do 5-6 damage easily with pierce 3 and move at lightning speed. Both can have an extra damage tucked away in case they roll poorly, Ashoka can reroll herself. I don't think this will be an issue by the end of the summer. Instead, there will be "easy fix for Force Users" topics.

the emperor is much slower but very deadly and his ability to manipulate others is gong to cause grief for mercs as well. Driven by Hatred is going to be real tough as well.  

Take a deep breath and relax

Edited by buckero0

13 hours ago, Jimmy Caladro said:

Credit where credit is due though, DerBaer, as Knallhase mentioned exactly this idea in the thread about fixing Vinto and the ePirates. 

Hadn't read that. But we come from the same area and know each other ... and this is not the first time, we had the exact same idea.

14 hours ago, TheUnsullied said:

Two sets of eJets with Terro and bring in some ePigs have been doing pretty good for me against eQuays and hunters if you want something for your son to try. Unfortunately I've been getting rocked by eRangers with it though. 

Ooh! We'll have to try that. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

Ooh! We'll have to try that. Thanks!

NP. There's two lists I've been trying with Imperials.

2 eJets

2 ePigs

Terro

Temp

Rule by Fear

Zillo

Second one is

2 eJets

1 ePigs

Terro

2 rOfficer

Vinto