Budgernaut

Runewars vs. A Song of Ice and Fire

135 posts in this topic

Let's be clear about this though: Eric Lang did not design this game.  They brought him in to "supervise" the late stages of finishing the game. 

A cynic might say they brought him in at the end to put his name on the box for those who are in the cult of Eric Lang.  But I'm sure he did help polish things that weren't working well.

22 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Let's be clear about this though: Eric Lang did not design this game.  They brought him in to "supervise" the late stages of finishing the game. 

A cynic might say they brought him in at the end to put his name on the box for those who are in the cult of Eric Lang.  But I'm sure he did help polish things that weren't working well.

Didn't even know he was involved with this, was picking out a prior mention of bloodrage, and pointing out why it was a outlier for CMoN.  He is a staffer there now I believe.

flightmaster101 likes this

I did the same some days ago, not very excited by the game but wanted to track how the campaign was going, to see if it could be popular or not in my county. At the end 308 backers don't look really decisive to have a good OP in a country of 50M persons.

Posted (edited)

I mean, it sounded interesting until I saw it's just humans vs other similar looking humans in different colors with maybe a taller guy or a dog here and there. 

Edited by Polda
jek and Darthain like this

6 hours ago, Polda said:

I mean, it sounded interesting until I saw it's just humans vs other similar looking humans in different colors with maybe a taller guy or a dog here and there. 

If your familiar with I&F/GoT I dont understand how you could expect anything else? Its not like the setting is heavy with fantasy tropes.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:28 PM, Soulless said:

If your familiar with I&F/GoT I dont understand how you could expect anything else? Its not like the setting is heavy with fantasy tropes.

I know, I  just think they could have had an interesting dynamic of the classic Westeros plate armor wearing tanks fighting hordes of lightly armoured mobile Essos troops. 
This way it kind of works like a historical mini wargame which are great but have a narrower audience and I am not sure the name itself will carry it as well as an interesting asymmetrical game play could.

But hey, that's just my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Polda said:

I know, I  just think they could have had an interesting dynamic of the classic Westeros plate armor wearing tanks fighting hordes of lightly armoured mobile Essos troops. 
This way it kind of works like a historical mini wargame which are great but have a narrower audience and I am not sure the name itself will carry it as well as an interesting asymmetrical game play could.

But hey, that's just my opinion. 

And opinions differ so all is well :)

What attracted me to GoT was the fact that its setting is more medieval then fantasy, "sword n sorcery" i believe some calls it. The same with The Witcher which is bit more of a fantastic setting but still brings it down towards "believable".

For what its worth though, imo the differences ruleswise is pretty big between various units, to the point of leaving "historical" on its way to "fantasy".

Polda likes this

For obvious reasons I'm a bit biased, so take this with a grain of salt: saw the components in person at their booth, and was not impressed. I much prefer good rules to good minis, but if the rules are mediocre the minis need to be really good to make up for it. These were not.

flightmaster101 likes this