HidaYama

Thursday tournament story prize speculation

With the Thursday tournament at gencon having a story prize(s). With that comes the speculation of what it could be. 

I think the best in clans will get to name and named character for their clan, and the winner will get that plus their named character will have a featured role in the next story development.

What do y'all think?

1 hour ago, Silver Crane said:

I doubt it will be that grandiose. Generally FFG reserves crd creation for the world champ.  My guess is that there be a very defined prize.  As to what that will be, I don't know.  I think it likely will be picking n Emerald Champion.

I think story prizes will boil down to 'you won.....now pick A,B,C, orD".

7 hours ago, Silver Crane said:

I doubt it will be that grandiose. Generally FFG reserves crd creation for the world champ.  My guess is that there be a very defined prize.  As to what that will be, I don't know.  I think it likely will be picking n Emerald Champion.

I think the Emerald Champion will be the story prize for the winner of the Friday/Saturday tournament.

4 hours ago, HidaYama said:

I think the Emerald Champion will be the story prize for the winner of the Friday/Saturday tournament.

I believe they confirmed in the l5R Live that the story prize is the Thursday tourney.  The Friday tourney has no impact.

Given the sheer numbers, the fact that the description says finishers (plural) and the fact that you could only get in 4 to 5 rounds of a tournament... I would bet that those on the highest win rate will each get to vote for the story choice. 

Edited by DrDevidents

1 hour ago, Mirith said:

I believe they confirmed in the l5R Live that the story prize is the Thursday tourney.  The Friday tourney has no impact.

They said in the L5R Live that both Thursday and the Friday/Saturday tournaments are story prizes.

I don't believe that there will be any story prize involved in the Thursday tournament and this is why;

while I've never been to Gen Con I know pretty well what some events are like. The Thursday tournament sounds like the same kind of tournament some kickstarters have, where there's an eight or nine round robin with no real clear cut or winner, but everyone A) get's practice, B) learns the rules and the rulings, C) chooses their clan and familiarizes themselves with the meta and D) enjoys a 700 man banzai. The Main reason I don't think this will have a story line event tied to it is because 700 man tournament? in a game that everyone is learning for the first time? and the Gen Con site says it will last 8 hours? bull. That means, more or less, that the winner is decided via luck of the draw [in more than one way] Grinding 700 down to 1 definitive winner me means 9 rounds and a 37% chance for a 10th round if there's an upset. Again... in 8 hours. At that rate it's just a single elimination round tournament, and while I don't think those are inherently bad for a "everyone is just learning" it's a pretty cruel way to play the game. If you play to win and lose in the first round you might as well pack up your toys and move on to something else.

BUT, if that's the way the game is played then so be it. But I feel there's too much room for salt and hurt feelings. So if there is a storyline prize it's probably something small but interesting, nothing worth getting your name on a card for though.

58 minutes ago, Foxtrot Four said:

I don't believe that there will be any story prize involved in the Thursday tournament and this is why;

while I've never been to Gen Con I know pretty well what some events are like. The Thursday tournament sounds like the same kind of tournament some kickstarters have, where there's an eight or nine round robin with no real clear cut or winner, but everyone A) get's practice, B) learns the rules and the rulings, C) chooses their clan and familiarizes themselves with the meta and D) enjoys a 700 man banzai. The Main reason I don't think this will have a story line event tied to it is because 700 man tournament? in a game that everyone is learning for the first time? and the Gen Con site says it will last 8 hours? bull. That means, more or less, that the winner is decided via luck of the draw [in more than one way] Grinding 700 down to 1 definitive winner me means 9 rounds and a 37% chance for a 10th round if there's an upset. Again... in 8 hours. At that rate it's just a single elimination round tournament, and while I don't think those are inherently bad for a "everyone is just learning" it's a pretty cruel way to play the game. If you play to win and lose in the first round you might as well pack up your toys and move on to something else.

BUT, if that's the way the game is played then so be it. But I feel there's too much room for salt and hurt feelings. So if there is a storyline prize it's probably something small but interesting, nothing worth getting your name on a card for though.

FFG said in their last L5RLive that Thursday is a story prize tournament, But I do agree with your mathematics in how the winner of the tournament may not actually be the winner. 

Edited by HidaYama

I think that the Thursday tournament is more an exhibition or pre-season friendly than a fully blown competitive event, and that there certainly won't be just a single undefeated player when the tournament ends. I think what will happen is we'll see one clan 'win' overall and be awarded the storyline prize - essentially, whichever clan has the most undefeated or X-1 players when the event ends. I see this more as a chance to win glory for your selected clan than individual acclaim as a player, which is a pretty cool way of doing things.

According to the last GenCon announcement that FFG made, there will by an OP article in July...can't wait to see what's in that!

Edited by Hinomura

I agree with Hinomura. I tried to do the math and even if like 20% of ticket holders (being generous here) dip after fetting their core set, it still would be like 9 rounds. Question now becomes: what will the clan prize be then? I am a firm believer that thhe Fri tourney will crown the Emerald champion so I am stumped as to what will be awarded for Thurs. Maybe decides which clan will earn favor at the end of the clan wars?

13 minutes ago, XCoconutMonkey06X said:

I agree with Hinomura. I tried to do the math and even if like 20% of ticket holders (being generous here) dip after fetting their core set, it still would be like 9 rounds. Question now becomes: what will the clan prize be then? I am a firm believer that thhe Fri tourney will crown the Emerald champion so I am stumped as to what will be awarded for Thurs. Maybe decides which clan will earn favor at the end of the clan wars?

The Emperor's wife's original clan?

Various other Imperial positions?

Possession of a particularly good holding?

Who starts the war? :)

There should be enough rounds to have a best in clan champ from Thursday tournament. The best in clan chooses a named character for next release for their clan. The best performing clan will have a favorable outcome in next story development. 

Just now, illenvillen said:

How long would it take FFG to print a card picked by a winner? WOuld it be an evergreen card or a dynasty pack card?

Probably a few years.  The first cycle is probably done at this point.  The second one would be near completion.  Unless they have a few cards they could rename/etc.

3 hours ago, Mirith said:

Probably a few years.  The first cycle is probably done at this point.  The second one would be near completion.  Unless they have a few cards they could rename/etc.

If they are offering this prize so soon, they are likely already accommodating it with a place-holder in current development.  It obviously wouldn't be available in the core set, and the first expansion or two are likely already proofed for the printers, but as soon as the 3rd expansion they could include it.  This would put it at release by winter court maybe?

idk what prizes they are going to offer, I wish I was able to go and represent Scorpion - just to try and win Emerald Champion.  Imagine if Yojiro or Aramoro were Emerald Champion ^______^ I'd love that lol

Edited by shosuko

2 hours ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

Been there, Done that.

Bayushi Shoju for Emerald Champion!!

'Why settle for the lesser evil?":)

But then we might as well go straight to Fu Leng (if he even exists!)

Edited by Kakita Shiro

9 minutes ago, Kakita Shiro said:

But then we might as well go straight to Fu Leng (if he even exists!)

he's mentioned on the product page.

I think Shoju is the best choice 

Hotaru?....noob

Kisada....wont bother

Shinjo Altavista(or whatever),,,,,,,unknown factor

Akodo Toturi...as if has'nt got enough problems

Toshimoka....the Rokugani equivalent of Bad Grampa

...shall I go on?:P