KungFuFerret

Why do people hate blue lightsabers?

9 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Well considering Mace is what, 1 of 3 people in the universe who know Vappad? Yeah I guess he is the only one that ranked up to purple.  Or you know....Sam Jackson wanted to be able to spot himself in the massive battle scenes easier.   :)  But SURE!  We'll go with awesomeness ability with saber is why he's purple.  Makes as much sense as any other reason.

I mean, let's face it: you can't say "this party's over!" with a blue lightsaber and have people take you seriously.

tumblr_mv6tt2VuTg1qffiy2o3_500.gif

Just wouldn't work. 

:ph34r:

49 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Well considering Mace is what, 1 of 3 people in the universe who know Vappad? Yeah I guess he is the only one that ranked up to purple.  Or you know....Sam Jackson wanted to be able to spot himself in the massive battle scenes easier.   :)  But SURE!  We'll go with awesomeness ability with saber is why he's purple.  Makes as much sense as any other reason.

Purple is also Sam L Jackson's favorite color. You'll notice that in all of his movies, he has at least one affectation or article of clothing on him that's purple. 

As for why the hate? I have no clue. For my signature character, he started out with a wine colored blade (like a lot of people, I wanted him to be "different, still do.) and took one of the first collapsible Darth Vader sabers and died it's blase that color as well as modding the hilt. When the Force Action lightsabers (the ones with the spring out blades, which collapse fully into the hilt), I once again modified a Darth Vader blade, but couldn't dye it, so I ended up with a red blade (not ideal). When Disney bought Lucasfilm, and made the changes they did, (including the deal with lightsabers), I pretty much had to switch to blue (simply because the only other Force Action lightsaber I had was a Luke/Anakin lightsaber), and they didn't make blades in other colors). So now, Korath has a Sapphire blue blade with blue core.

49 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Purple is also Sam L Jackson's favorite color. You'll notice that in all of his movies, he has at least one affectation or article of clothing on him that's purple. 

As for why the hate? I have no clue. For my signature character, he started out with a wine colored blade (like a lot of people, I wanted him to be "different, still do.) and took one of the first collapsible Darth Vader sabers and died it's blase that color as well as modding the hilt. When the Force Action lightsabers (the ones with the spring out blades, which collapse fully into the hilt), I once again modified a Darth Vader blade, but couldn't dye it, so I ended up with a red blade (not ideal). When Disney bought Lucasfilm, and made the changes they did, (including the deal with lightsabers), I pretty much had to switch to blue (simply because the only other Force Action lightsaber I had was a Luke/Anakin lightsaber), and they didn't make blades in other colors). So now, Korath has a Sapphire blue blade with blue core.

4 hours ago, AK_Aramis said:

I like the idea of career class determining color... but the book only shows lightsabers for 4 class pictures... And green is in 3 of them...

Black, White, and Red appear to be story role-linked.

I've not asked, and my players seldom stated, a specific color..

Related to this, I actually introduced career-influenced lightsaber colors in my game.  They are not a requirement, of course, but a tendency that the personality types that specific careers attract are more likely to have. 

They are:

Consular - Green; 

Guardian - Blue;

Mystic - White; 

Seeker - Purple;

Sentinel - Yellow; 

Warrior - Red. 

Yes, you can be a light-sider and end up with a red lightsaber, or a dark-sider with a non-red 'saber :) .

Edited by Absol197

1 hour ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Yep, his color preference is most prominent in Unbreakable, as everything that character wore was purple.

Though I am confused, what is a "collapsible Darth Vader saber" with spring out blades?   I didn't partake much of the EU stuff, and only dabbled with the D20 star wars material, so I'm not sure if this is something from one of those. 

33 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

36 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Yep, his color preference is most prominent in Unbreakable, as everything that character wore was purple.

Though I am confused, what is a "collapsible Darth Vader saber" with spring out blades?   I didn't partake much of the EU stuff, and only dabbled with the D20 star wars material, so I'm not sure if this is something from one of those. 

Thanks KFF. 

20 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Ah, that explains it. :D    Considering the design of Kylo Ren's saber, and the roflcopter mode of the sabers of the Inquisitors from Rebels, I don't put anything past the published materials for saber designs. :D 

Yep. I have two Force Action lightsabers (the Vader and Anakin/Luke sabers), both with customized hilts. I would have liked to have swapped the blades, but you can't disassemble the sabers without destroying them since the emitters are glued on. I customized them for use with my Korath costume. 

8 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

Probably, I just find it really silly.  I remember seeing it a lot when I was playing SWTOR, in general chat.    

I've never seen it, but I can sort of understand where some idiots might come from in SWTOR, as there are a load of ways (being a Founder, various achievements or special purchases), of getting special colours, so idiots might consider people without them beneath them.

Personally I usually used blue, green or yellow, as I didn't like the look of most of the special ones. (one colour core, one colour aura - how does that work!)

3 hours ago, Darzil said:

I've never seen it, but I can sort of understand where some idiots might come from in SWTOR, as there are a load of ways (being a Founder, various achievements or special purchases), of getting special colours, so idiots might consider people without them beneath them.

Personally I usually used blue, green or yellow, as I didn't like the look of most of the special ones. (one colour core, one colour aura - how does that work!)

I don't always use the term "snowflake..." 

But when I do, I'm talking about MMORPG players. 

7 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I think the initial choice of a wine lightsaber blade speaks volumes about Korath's character that was only made undeniable under the new canon, Wheras Elias and Kelitah Windrider's white blades revealed their badassery under the new canon. :P

Kidding aside, I was wondering why you chose blue... but if you could have any color under the new canon what would it be.  I'm guessing it wouldn't be purple, as that would reveal Korath was halfway between blue and red and you like to claim Korath is "pure good"

8 hours ago, Darzil said:

I'm sure my GM will simply tell me what colour it is when I get one!

On 6/13/2017 at 8:11 AM, KungFuFerret said:

Sure, that kind of reason is fine.  But I'm just referring to times I've seen people say things along the lines of "Blue is for pu**ies!"  and other comments.  Sure, sometimes I'm sure they are just being silly, but sometimes it was clearly heartfelt.   Which just puzzled me, since it's only a color.

I know this isn't 40K, but I wonder if we can still blame the Ultramarines for this? At some point, mostly due to one writer, the entire Space Marine Chapter became one of the most hated, and reviled, things in Warhammer 40,000, and, as one of the single most iconic, identifying things about the "Ultra-smurfs" is their quite catching blue armor color, maybe the dislike of one bled over into the dislike of many others, sharing a trait. Probably not, but I've been reading 40K stuff, so it's on my mind, at the moment. ;) Some people see the Jedi as the "unnecessary Mary-sues" of the Star Wars universe; hell, if you look at it in the right light, the game line waited till their third line of materials to give us "Jedi" characters, and it's still arguable, even now. Well, a Jedi carries a lightsaber, and it is usually blue. You pull a blue weapon, you are probably the games unnecessary, magic-slinging, mary-sue? We all hope it's more complicated than that, but...

Also, having played SWTOR a lot, in a game where the crystal color means NOTHING, except for cosmetic stuff, several colors have a high-level cut off point, so you know if the player has a purple saber, they are level 50+. In most cases, even if they have a second, new, low-level toon, the crystal still has a minimum level, despite no mechanical benefit, based on color, so their "big brother"can't have just gotten one, or made one, for them. Again, it's a nice way of openly advertising "yep, I'm post-game! I'm awesome!", and as arguably one of the only good Star Wars games in a number of years, it might have a decent impact on the behaviors of others.

Edited by venkelos

18 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

I think the initial choice of a wine lightsaber blade speaks volumes about Korath's character that was only made undeniable under the new canon, Wheras Elias and Kelitah Windrider's white blades revealed their badassery under the new canon. :P

Kidding aside, I was wondering why you chose blue... but if you could have any color under the new canon what would it be.  I'm guessing it wouldn't be purple, as that would reveal Korath was halfway between blue and red and you like to claim Korath is "pure good"

If I weren't limited to the colors that Hasbro used for the Force Action lightsabers, for cosplay purposes, I'd probably have gone yellow. My favorite color combinations are Blue & Gold  (my old high school colors) and Black & Gold. If I were doing a dual-saber wielder, I's do one of each, one blue blade, one yellow blade. I've done that in KotOR. 

Members of the Skywalker family all seem to lose limbs when they have blue sabers. Anakin faired much better with a red saber as Darth Vader, and Luke faired much better with a green saber as Master Skywalker. Poor Obi-Wan stuck with blue till the very end though, but I'd like to think if he wasn't in hiding he'd have upgraded his crystals, maybe not though. He was the penultimate example of the Guardian class Jedi.

45 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

Second to last?

Technically, yes :)  Though I think he might be using that word in the more common usage of "ultimate example; iconic example; poster boy" etc.   Not sure if any dictionaries list that as a usage, but I've seen it used to convey that meaning on multiple occasions.

Edited by KungFuFerret

15 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Technically, yes :)  Though I think he might be using that word in the more common usage of "ultimate example; iconic example; poster boy" etc.   Not sure if any dictionaries list that as a usage, but I've seen it used to convey that meaning on multiple occasions.

Could be an accidental conflation of "ultimate" and "pinnacle," perhaps? Or paradigm, epitome, paragon. 

Edit: Paramount!

Edited by awayputurwpn

2 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Could be an accidental conflation of "ultimate" and "pinnacle," perhaps? Or paradigm, epitome, paragon. 

Edit: Paramount!

Dunno, I just know I've heard others use penultimate to mean, based on context anyway, roughly:

An ideal example/specimen of something;  The very best example; etc

Funny though that in this case, it's also the correct term, even if it wasn't being used for that purpose. :D