Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wired4War

No one playing

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Jukey said:

Also the option of buying a set for the cards, painting the minis and selling them for more because they look cool. Then you only spend time.

Selling minis you painted for more than they cost is very tricky business and to make any money on your time at all, you'll need to be a desired commission artist. Generally speaking painting does nothing for value, even redices value slightly from normal resale.  Price is also not terribly lucrative given time put in either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Waywardpaladin said:

8th Ed 40k robbed it of all it's momentum it seems here in AZ.

Fortunately for me this actually ISNT a problem since theres only about 2-3 people that stopped playing 40k abuzz about 8th edition (me being one of them, though ive yet to get the rules myself i just know Orks dont suck balls anymore so im happy) and they were Warmahordes people anyway.

But, i live in a somewhat rural area despite it being the capital city. Lincoln is large but its still mostly populated by farmers and rancher type people, so the gaming group is rather thin to begin with. Hell probably about a third of the people i regularly play with drive about an hour one way to get a game lol

 

Also selling painted minis is never easy. People want a matching army, even if they dont like painting themselves, so painting anything for market without a commission for it is a risky endeavor. Even painting them the box-art color could be risky but more likely to work.
Even still, you usually need to be AMAZING at it to actually make a profit. The few commissions ive done probably gave me like 3USD an hour in the end, but i more took it because i wanted to paint those models but not collect them lol.
Im nowhere near fast enough to do commissions consistently, i still havent painted all my models yet and there isnt that many of them (2 cores of daqans, 1 core undead, 1 archer/command for undead, 1cavalry/command for daqan) so theres that issue. Plus i just consider myself better than the average idiot at painting, nowhere near pro.

Edited by Vineheart01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DevilSquid said:

It's still a relatively new game, and having only two armies to currently choose from has blunted some folks enthusiasm. I feel it won't be truly be a viable game till the end of the year when more options are available.

 

22 hours ago, Wired4War said:

I hope FF gives it that kind of time to pick up. I'd hate to see them discontinue it due to poor sales before it fully develops.

FFG has already invested a lot into this game, so I'm hoping it won't go anywhere either.

It is slowly picking up traction in my gaming area, but I agree I'd just continue to talk about it, show miniatures, and offer to bring in the core set minis painted up (if you have them ready) to run demo games for people so they can get a taste of it and direct them to the release schedule as it builds.

I know I'm waiting for the essentials & Latari Elves expansion before I really sink my hobby time into it. It's certainly a slow burn and build to be sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-6-11 at 6:41 PM, Wired4War said:

I've been really excited about this game, but in my small town, we have a good 16+ wargamers... but they all play 40k and dabble in AoS. The stores 30-45min away are the same (especially since one is a GW store). We used to have a good Armada group going, but they all left or switched to 40k. Have those who play this game regularly converted other wargamers, or used Runewars to introduce new people to wargaming?

Be a proselyte with your friends. It really works and in products like this it's the best way to get new players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, druchii7 said:

Be a proselyte with your friends. It really works and in products like this it's the best way to get new players

I think that's my goal now, getting everything painted up and try to convert some of my board game buddies instead of the diehard wargamers. They've already tried x-wing and armada and some even bought a few ships. Their journey to the dark side is nearly complete...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love X-wing. It's still my main. But I know I'll enjoy Runewars more if I get more people at the local shop interested. A buddy and I are bringing our Runewars to X-wing night tonight to show off FFG's newest, most advanced flight path game. At least one of the guys said at Store Championships on Saturday, "I do love me some fantasy," so hopefully he'll dive right in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up in northern Utah, Ogden area, it is growing slow. Me and my friend play right now on Thursdays at Endzone in Clearfield..

The expansions are going out the door, but no ones showed up to play, but hopefully that will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to wonder if people are avoiding public play because it is taking them so long to prep/paint the miniatures. They don't want to show up with a half-done army, so they just don't show up at all. Hopefully more people will start attending game nights as they finish their armies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Utah Valley it's been slow going.  We've had a few games here and there but not much.  I play with my wife and brothers though so it's no problem for me either way.  

It looks like we're finally carving out Tuesdays at the LGS though, so that will be awesome!

As for painting... I just really hate painting.  So much.  I only have about 1.5 core sets done so far and I have 0 motivation to finish.  Honestly it keeps me from playing more often because I think, "I should finish painting those  so it can look cooler when I play... but I hate painting... eh screw it I'll play some Xwing".  I've done that mental conversation about 3 times this last week alone XD.  If there was a crappy pre-painted version of these (even just heroscape quality would be fine for me... I mean, I'm lucky if I paint that well myself) it would be so much more convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2017 at 0:37 PM, Budgernaut said:

I believe that buying models for upgrades was a negative thing for a lot of people, but they didn't realize that this model was what bothered them. They thought that if only they could get the upgrades they wanted from ships in their faction, the game would be better. Now that Runewars does this, people are realizing that the issue was never about in-faction vs. out-of-faction, but about buying superfluous models for cards. I really believe most people didn't know they didn't like this model.

Budgernaut, I think you've really hit the nail on the head there!

Now that I have some expansions in my hands, I'm impressed with how little I need multiple copies of any given upgrade. I was initially underwhelmed with the lack of multiples of upgrades in the expansions when they were announced, but this has proved to be fine.

I think the big difference between Runewars and X-Wing (for now at least) is that you're unlikely to need a spammy type list. It is nothing to have a mini-swarm in X-Wing in any faction all loaded up with the latest hotness in upgrades ($$$ in and out of faction) along with other ships, but it doesn't seem to be the case in Runewars ... yet (YMMV)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2017 at 1:00 PM, Willange said:

In Utah Valley it's been slow going.  We've had a few games here and there but not much.  I play with my wife and brothers though so it's no problem for me either way.  

It looks like we're finally carving out Tuesdays at the LGS though, so that will be awesome!

As for painting... I just really hate painting.  So much.  I only have about 1.5 core sets done so far and I have 0 motivation to finish.  Honestly it keeps me from playing more often because I think, "I should finish painting those  so it can look cooler when I play... but I hate painting... eh screw it I'll play some Xwing".  I've done that mental conversation about 3 times this last week alone XD.  If there was a crappy pre-painted version of these (even just heroscape quality would be fine for me... I mean, I'm lucky if I paint that well myself) it would be so much more convenient.

Game night games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Willange said:

I live in Lehi so I'm playing at Blakfyre in PG.  We're starting around 6:30 tonight!  Does GnG plan on doing Runewars?

I think they're trying to build interest, but I'm not sure anything is organized yet. I'm mostly trying to get my friends hooked. I feel like I deserve a commission from FFG for all the guerilla marketing I've done for them over the last year with x-wing. Now I need to try again with Runewars. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is growing in Colorado. I am a long time GW player talking original rogue trader not even 40k yet and warhammer. I looked at new rules for 40k same as before a huge buzz but if we as a community keep pushing this is a way better game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I dont expect much until elves get released.  Everyone I talk to about playing says "oh yea once elves are out..."

So either a) elves will come out and spark a huge growth in the game

or

b) every one is full of $#!+ and just want an excuse to dodge my recruitment efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a group of around 29 people at the club that plays (or wants to play) Runewars.

There are around 4-5 people that are waiting for the elves to release in the group. Plus some that will switch to or also buy Elves once they're released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with Runewars is that, in a way, it is direct competitor to X-Wing.
Looking at this from simplistic point of view both games uses the same mechanic of "hidden commands" and similiar marketing model (buy units for upgrade cards). Now, what Runewars provides that X-Wing doesn't?
1) Fantasy setting (a lot of people prefer it to space opera theme)
2) Mass battles (again, some people prefer a lot of units on the table)
3) More advanced system of hidden orders
4) Scenarios
5) Bigger accent on painting & modelling

Those things really distinguish Runewars from X-Wing, and I must admit when this game was announced I was excited - also if not for the fact that I started collecting X-Wing earlier I would probably chose Runewars over it.
As it is now I collect both games. Unfortunately all Runewars features I mentoned earlier come with the price:
1) Game is much more harder to transport and safely pack
2) It takes a lot more time to field a fully painted list
3) Game is fiddlier and slower, units moves at a much slower rate - actual static combat takes a lot more time. In X-Wing you maneuver your ships constantly, in Runewars after initital engagement units don't move that much - also there are only 8 rounds of game.
4) It takes a LOT more space - in X-Wing I can play almost everywhere, to play Runewars I need dedicated space - I was participating in X-Wing tournaments organized by really small hobby shops. Given how much space there were, Runewars tournament would be impossible to arrange.

In my opinion, taking into account features mentioned earlier, Runewars will never be as popular as X-Wing is. And it is not a Runewars fault - it is just the fact that skirmish with pre-painted models will always have a much broader appeal than fully fledged miniature wargame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

The problem with Runewars is that, in a way, it is direct competitor to X-Wing.
Looking at this from simplistic point of view both games uses the same mechanic of "hidden commands" and similiar marketing model (buy units for upgrade cards). Now, what Runewars provides that X-Wing doesn't?
1) Fantasy setting (a lot of people prefer it to space opera theme)
2) Mass battles (again, some people prefer a lot of units on the table)
3) More advanced system of hidden orders
4) Scenarios
5) Bigger accent on painting & modelling

Those things really distinguish Runewars from X-Wing, and I must admit when this game was announced I was excited - also if not for the fact that I started collecting X-Wing earlier I would probably chose Runewars over it.
As it is now I collect both games. Unfortunately all Runewars features I mentoned earlier come with the price:
1) Game is much more harder to transport and safely pack
2) It takes a lot more time to field a fully painted list
3) Game is fiddlier and slower, units moves at a much slower rate - actual static combat takes a lot more time. In X-Wing you maneuver your ships constantly, in Runewars after initital engagement units don't move that much - also there are only 8 rounds of game.
4) It takes a LOT more space - in X-Wing I can play almost everywhere, to play Runewars I need dedicated space - I was participating in X-Wing tournaments organized by really small hobby shops. Given how much space there were, Runewars tournament would be impossible to arrange.

In my opinion, taking into account features mentioned earlier, Runewars will never be as popular as X-Wing is. And it is not a Runewars fault - it is just the fact that skirmish with pre-painted models will always have a much broader appeal than fully fledged miniature wargame.

Good point! I also don't like how the miniatures come to life at night and attempt to kill anyone in the home. I'm honestly not sure why FFG included that feature... but it's just the x-wing model all over again so go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Embir82 said:

 

In my opinion, taking into account features mentioned earlier, Runewars will never be as popular as X-Wing is. And it is not a Runewars fault - it is just the fact that skirmish with pre-painted models will always have a much broader appeal than fully fledged miniature wargame.

Hobby games will never compete on the same market as pick up and play, but then again, they don't intend to so it's probably fine.  The market is not x wing/armada crossover, it is WFB, 40k and other rank and file fantasy troop games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people give crap to the hidden command system for RWM because "it makes sense for a ship to be unable to change its plans on the dime but not for footmen" - actually it makes more sense than what GW does.

If these battles were done in full speed combat, whoever stroke first could easily stop his opponent from whatever he/she was doing and potentially shock them enough where they didnt have a proper reaction, allowing you to strike again. The hidden command system reflects that, think of the game as happening "at once" but some units have faster nerves.
The only thing i dont agree with in RWM's dial system is the lack of templates. It feels really odd having a single tray be as oddly immobile as a huge block of troopers, which definitely has issues moving around and not breaking formation. This is the game they should have included some strange templates like a S-bend maneuvers or a less intensive sliding maneuver (think changing lanes, still facing forward and moving forward but you just moved over slightly). The second one is a viable move for some units because of the dial commands orientation but that really should just be a stock maneuver

Why? Dodge terrain or pop up from around a friendly unit. Currently its incredibly difficult to do such things without eating 2-3 turns to do it, except for maybe 3 units (counting unreleased ones)

Edited by Vineheart01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are you all at? Knowing that might help us make better suggestions.

In any case, let me tell you how slow 40k was to start back in 1988. I had dozens of people to play Dungeons and Dragons or Star Wars Roleplaying game... But only ever 1 friend who played 40k for years. There were a lot of guys that had just the space marine box or a few blisters of Eldar, but that was it. And there was no regular store gaming at all. We had monthly mini-conventions at the library and you were 10 times as likely to see Napoleonics or U.S. Civil War games with home grown rules than  40k.

My point is, just wait 25 or 30 years and you'll have people complaining about all the Runewars players hogging all the gaming tables from the guys who want to play the new fantasy game set in a world where people actually go outdoors and build settlements along the shore without fear of them flooding under polar ice melt :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Elliphino said:

Where are you all at? Knowing that might help us make better suggestions.

In any case, let me tell you how slow 40k was to start back in 1988. I had dozens of people to play Dungeons and Dragons or Star Wars Roleplaying game... But only ever 1 friend who played 40k for years. There were a lot of guys that had just the space marine box or a few blisters of Eldar, but that was it. And there was no regular store gaming at all. We had monthly mini-conventions at the library and you were 10 times as likely to see Napoleonics or U.S. Civil War games with home grown rules than  40k.

My point is, just wait 25 or 30 years and you'll have people complaining about all the Runewars players hogging all the gaming tables from the guys who want to play the new fantasy game set in a world where people actually go outdoors and build settlements along the shore without fear of them flooding under polar ice melt :-)

This comment is like an onion. So many layers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I've been looking into the place I'll be moving to and it looks like they have no miniatures gaming in town. They have Magic, Pokemon, and HeroClix ... that's about it. And it seems that no stores are dedicated totabletop gaming. One is a comic shop that does some events, and the other is an anime and video game store with some card games. I suppose I'll have to wait and see how it is when I get there, but it's looking like I'll have the same problem as this thread's title. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...