Sign in to follow this  
Wired4War

No one playing

I've been really excited about this game, but in my small town, we have a good 16+ wargamers... but they all play 40k and dabble in AoS. The stores 30-45min away are the same (especially since one is a GW store). We used to have a good Armada group going, but they all left or switched to 40k. Have those who play this game regularly converted other wargamers, or used Runewars to introduce new people to wargaming?

its still new enough where many people that are interested just arent buying yet because of availability. I plan to demo it at my flgs to try and get more people interested, but im taking my time doing that to get my armies painted first both for presentation reasons and model availability. 

We only have 3 people that play atm, and im easily the most active of the 3 since i've been involved in literally every game lol. One other wants to get in but has to wait on funds, by the time he can get in elves should be a thing. Before he buys im going to have him play the daqan/waiqar to get a feel for the game then gauge if he wants to play elves, since i think theyre a bit out of his usual gaming style personally.

Even a more well known game, xwing, started off in this area pretty quietly. It wasnt until wave 4-5 when it started getting popular. I suspect by RWM's first year anniversary we'll have enough stuff out to start drawing attention.

2 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Even a more well known game, xwing, started off in this area pretty quietly. It wasnt until wave 4-5 when it started getting popular. I suspect by RWM's first year anniversary we'll have enough stuff out to start drawing attention.

I think a lot of people don't realize that the first year or so of Xwing was actually pretty slow building. I still remember when I started, it was tough to find regular games going on even in the twin cities, FFG's back yard. It eventually grew to have stores running tourneys every night of the week, but it didn't happen overnight.

6 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

8th Ed 40k robbed it of all it's momentum it seems here in AZ.

Yeah, no one is even talking about anything else. Maybe when the initial 8th Ed. hype blows over I'll try introducing RW.

Edited by Wired4War

Game is good. Problem is it is miniatures game, yet it uses marketing model of X-Wing.
In WH 40k or AoS you don't need to buy boxes just to buy upgrade cards - and it scares people off - believe me, I tried to draw some people into this game and it scared them off.
FFG really does a great games when it comes to rules and playability, yet they are as greedy as old GW, if not more. Look at prices of small expansions of Runebound, they are absurd.

Edited by Embir82

3 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Well it is different yet similar in all honesty. You need expansions for upgrade cards. The difference in this regard is that you can get all neutral upgrades in your own faction expansions.

Which is why it's not xwing model. That was the problem with xwing was buying factions you didn't want. With this game you don't have to, and the neutral upgrades come with the units they are good on. I would take that over buying book after book at super inflated prices. If people aren't buying it because of that, then I don't know what to tell them, but it certainly isn't xwing' s sales model.

6 hours ago, Wired4War said:

I hope FF gives it that kind of time to pick up. I'd hate to see them discontinue it due to poor sales before it fully develops.

Well, the game only released a month or two ago, and they have 4 armies already planned, with Elves coming out in July/August. I'm confident that FFG has a long term plan for the game.

In my group of friends I've seen more hype for this game than any other that I can recall. I tried to get them into Armada, but I think it was too close to X-wing to take off. Runewars will do very well with people like us who were into X-wing and want to get deeper into the hobby aspect of miniatures gaming.

25 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Which is why it's not xwing model. That was the problem with xwing was buying factions you didn't want. With this game you don't have to, and the neutral upgrades come with the units they are good on. I would take that over buying book after book at super inflated prices. If people aren't buying it because of that, then I don't know what to tell them, but it certainly isn't xwing' s sales model.

You don't need books to play Warhammer tournaments. You need only figures and printed list. In Runewars there are certain combinations that are forcing you to buy superfluous models only to get cards.
In this regard it is very similiar to X-Wing model.
I had an easier time with this marketing model because I was playing X-Wing before. But many miniature gamers think it is unfair marketing model - especially given the fact that many producers provides unit and equipment cards for free, charging only for models.

12 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

You don't need books to play Warhammer tournaments. You need only figures and printed list. In Runewars there are certain combinations that are forcing you to buy superfluous models only to get cards.
I had an easier time with this marketing model because I was playing X-Wing before. But many miniature gamers think it is unfair marketing model - especially given the fact that many producers provides unit and equipment cards for free, charging only for models.

Honestly you aren't going to need 6 copies of a card to play. You can get by with a multitude of different upgrades in this game. Buying one or 2 of an expansion isn't that bad. 

Just now, Jukey said:

I have bought at least one of everything in the waiqar faction so far and haven't felt I'm buying redundant units for upgrades only yet. I need ALL the reanimates!

Yea the basic infantry are the only ones I think that buying in bulk is okay but no more than 4. Less if you and a friend both bought a core and model swapped. 

2 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Well it is different yet similar in all honesty. You need expansions for upgrade cards. The difference in this regard is that you can get all neutral upgrades in your own faction expansions.

2 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

I think this is a case of moving the goal posts. People have often complained about having to buy out-of-faction for X-Wing. That is one if the strongest criticisms. However, now that Runewars is out, people are complaining about buying models for needed upgrades at all, even if the models are in your faction. It may be that people are fickle and will complain about anything, but I don't think this is the case. I believe that buying models for upgrades was a negative thing for a lot of people, but they didn't realize that this model was what bothered them. They thought that if only they could get the upgrades they wanted from ships in their faction, the game would be better. Now that Runewars does this, people are realizing that the issue was never about in-faction vs. out-of-faction, but about buying superfluous models for cards. I really believe most people didn't know they didn't like this model.

1 hour ago, Embir82 said:

The thing is, FFG models aren't quite good enough to sell for just the models. Their best selling point with this game is the core gameplay and its mechanics. But I'll grant you that the tray design (with the pegs and all that) makes it so that the models are important to game play, so I think they very well could have done alright selling models alone. However, I will say that nothing I print from home or a print shop every meets the quality of components I get from FFG. Personally, I'd rather get the cards in the box than have to print them myself. But to counter that counter statement, after you play for a while, you have all the cards memorized and don't need them at all anyway.

Wait unless you are playing Regionals/ The Big FFG store Championships/Worlds, then you would be playing in a relaxed tournament setting. It is a more casual place where you can just bring a list on a paper. And that is for tournaments only! Casual play is way different!

Edited by TallGiraffe

59 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Wait unless you are playing Regionals/isThe Big FFG store Championships/Worlds, then you would be playing in a relaxed tournament setting. It is a more casual place where you can just bring a list on a paper. And that is for tournaments only! Casual play is way different!

I still only play with what I own. I playtested the Undead for BattleLore, but even though I got to keep the beta components, I couldn't bring myself to play with the faction after the testing period ended. (Granted, models weren't included, so proxying was requied, which may be why I was turned off from playing the Undead until I bought them.) Anyway, my own preference is to play with only what I own, casual or tournament.