Leavon

Star Spawn mini from Spare Oom Studio now for sale!

Hi,

I'm a digital sculptor and Mansions of Madness 2nd edition fan. The game has fast become one of my faves, the only thing I can really fault it on is the quality of  the minis.

I felt the Star Spawn needed something with a bit more dynamism so I opted to do my own sculpt. The images shown below are 3D renders, I have my own 3D printers and I'm running a test print as I type.

If there is sufficient interest from the community then I'll be getting the mini professionally cast and reproduced. It will stand at around 80mm tall, about the same as the MOM model.

Of course the mini could be used for any Cthulhu mythos based game.   

I'd love to know if this would be of interest to any of you, I've previously made some board accessories for Talisman and B-sieged feel free to check out my stuff here:

https://www.leavon.co.uk/online-store

Cthulu%20render6.jpg?raw=1

Cthulu%20render7.jpg?raw=1

Cthulu%20render8.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Leavon

12 hours ago, Julia said:

Holy cannoli, you should send a CV to FFG and have them hire you. This mini is all the MoM Star Spawn should have been

Thanks Julia, I work as character modeller on console games so mini sculpts aren't a big leap from my day job. I am hoping to diversify a bit  so I may well drop FFG a line! 

Thanks for the kind words folks, I'll keep the thread updated with my progress.

Edited by Leavon

Bit of an update on the StarSpawn sculpt: The sculpt has now been prepped for printing and casting. So the arms, face, wings, tail and base have been split into separate parts. Positive and negative keys have been created on the limb interior faces to aid easy assembly. The hi-res prototype is being printed this week by Zealot Miniatures (I'm beyond excited!), and the cast version will be in available to buy in a Premium quality resin standing at 88mm base to top of wing. I'll hopefully have some more information on pricing next week.

Cthulu%20render9.jpg?raw=1

Cthulu%20render10.jpg?raw=1

Cthulu%20render11.jpg?raw=1

Cthulu%20render12.jpg?raw=1Cthulu%20render13.jpg?raw=1

Have you check with FFG if it's ok that you use their space to make ads for your products? One thing is a post talking stuff, another thing is posting updates, talking of premium figures and referring to something that's not done "just to try out" but for commercial purposes. Which is namely spam.

Nothing against your work, beware, huge fan; just suggesting, in case you haven't, to ask permission to avoid thread cancellation and ban

7 hours ago, Julia said:

Have you check with FFG if it's ok that you use their space to make ads for your products? One thing is a post talking stuff, another thing is posting updates, talking of premium figures and referring to something that's not done "just to try out" but for commercial purposes. Which is namely spam.

Nothing against your work, beware, huge fan; just suggesting, in case you haven't, to ask permission to avoid thread cancellation and ban

Hi Julia, no I haven't asked permission. This isn't a copy of a licensed product, it's an original sculpt of a monster that could be used for any game so I don't see that it's treading on any toes.

Updating seemed like the natural thing to do when people on here have expressed interest.

If FFG have a problem with it then they can close the thread, I have a thread on board game geek and a couple of Facebook groups. Selling the products allows me to develop new products that are, hopefully to the benefit of the community as well as allowing me to make a living.

I love painting miniatures and I have been trying to create an enhanced Eldritch Horror game, but the problem I run into are the epic monsters.  It would be cool if you could sculpt all the epic monsters for the game and expansions since you cannot find miniatures anywhere for those.  I know I would buy them all!

On 7/5/2017 at 8:33 PM, Drjacobs said:

I love painting miniatures and I have been trying to create an enhanced Eldritch Horror game, but the problem I run into are the epic monsters.  It would be cool if you could sculpt all the epic monsters for the game and expansions since you cannot find miniatures anywhere for those.  I know I would buy them all!

That would be a very cool project! My goal in the short term is to produce a run of three classic Cthulhu monsters, to get these produced at a high quality is quite a financial undertaking so I'm gonna see how the first 3 minis sell, if it goes well then expanding the range of monsters will definitely happen.

Meanwhile here's a quick preview of the next monster that is in the works, the Hound of Tindalos! It's still early days on the sculpt, it's not posed yet and I still have a lot of detailing to do.

I'd welcome any suggestions for what the third monster could be....

HTL1.jpg?raw=1

HTL2.jpg?raw=1

25 minutes ago, Julia said:

A good third monster could be the Shoggoth. It's definitely iconic in the universe of the Mythos

Ooh yeah, Shoggoth could be cool, it would add a nice bit of variety to the  bipedal/quadrapedal  monsters.

Loving the suggestions folks! I did a bit more work on the hound last night, still not finished but it's coming together. 

I will add as a disclaimer that these are purely my interpretations of the creatures and not necessarily accurate to the source material. 

HTL3.jpg?raw=1

HTL5.jpg?raw=1

HTL4.jpg?raw=1

Just had an update on the StarSpawn from Zealot minatures.
Here he is raw off the printer, still on the sprues. I'm really pleased with the amount of detail that has come out. 
Eddie at Zealot is going to get the parts cleaned up and prepped for casting next week so I'll hopefully have some pics of the assembled mini to show you!

thumbnail_IMG_20170714_122417.jpg?raw=1