jek

The new heroes and infantry boxes

Heroes include figure upgrades for BOTH Infantry and Cavalry. Cool.

Ankaur's figure upgrade ability is hot. Dumping wounds into the unit instead of face-tanking them, though it precludes the AMAZING Violent Forces upgrade.

New deployments/objectives are quite welcome.

What is the thinking behind Cursed Signets? As far as I can tell all it really does is make you incredibly vulnerable to a reanimate archer/CI combo. There aren't any banes I suffer regularly enough that are damaging enough to make this worth it, even at 2 pts.

52 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

What is the thinking behind Cursed Signets? As far as I can tell all it really does is make you incredibly vulnerable to a reanimate archer/CI combo. There aren't any banes I suffer regularly enough that are damaging enough to make this worth it, even at 2 pts.

I'm all over that Cursed Signets! If my Reanimates are locked in combat, I NEED them to hit hard. Stun tokens and Blight tokens really slow you down. Having a Necromancer can make rounds with Natural runes very good for adding figures that you've lost due to the Cursed Signets, especially with Lingering Dead. Ankaur can help you add trays if the runes didn't cooperate, and you start losing trays. I may be wrong, but I am definitely keen to try this out!

3 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

I'm all over that Cursed Signets! If my Reanimates are locked in combat, I NEED them to hit hard. Stun tokens and Blight tokens really slow you down. Having a Necromancer can make rounds with Natural runes very good for adding figures that you've lost due to the Cursed Signets, especially with Lingering Dead. Ankaur can help you add trays if the runes didn't cooperate, and you start losing trays. I may be wrong, but I am definitely keen to try this out!

One morale modifier qualifies as "hitting hard"?

Necromancer can usually negate the extra damage from the banes and i can assure you the Stun and Immobilize tokens can be a problem.

Stun of course knocks off your modifier, but if you get Immobilized and your opponent has any form of ranged attacks, all he has to do is back off and shoot, knowing full well you are either stuck there for a full turn doing jack squat or Rallying which basically the same thing in most cases. Then due to the slow speed of the reanimates, he can mind-game you with a charge or another ranged attack and its a total gamble for you which you need to prepare for (do i charge, hoping he didnt charge me, or do i attack hoping he did? Both happen after he goes)

1 minute ago, Tvayumat said:

One morale modifier qualifies as "hitting hard"?

No, no. I totally get where you're coming from. In my one and only game, it was Waiqar vs. Waiqar, and Blight tokens really robbed me of any hitting power. Add that I was a 4 tray unit up against a 9 tray unit of Reanimates, and I needed to have my attacks count. If I have lots of ways to raise my troops to fight again, then I think this is a pretty handy upgrade for two points.

Like I said, I may be completely wrong, and a 9 tray block of spearmen with a Rune Golem could be dangerous enough that receiving damage from banes will be way too costly. I just gotta try it, though!:D

I struggle to imagine a scenario where this very niche and very mandatory ability is worth a heraldry slot that could contain a raven standard bearer for one point more.

For Daqan, sure, I see the utility.

Maybe this is one of several upgrades we have that will become better as more releases drop.

Edited by Tvayumat

I like cursed signets for the above mentioned idea of taking wounds over blight and other nasty banes to keep your damage output up. But I would like it more if it were a 'may' ability.

could be some interesting synergies with dispatch runners and cursed signets.

Edited by Jukey

Cursed Signets seem really strong on spearmen blocks that don't have lots of inspiration sources.  Even 1 un-cancelled blight can pretty well neuter a 9-tray spearmen block with a frontline rune golem.  I would WAY rather lose 1 little spearman than sit there rolling only 1 blue die.  Plus, this makes it so your opponent will have a harder time getting large morale tests on you (since panic doesn't stick), so you don't have to worry as much about crap like Betrayal.  It seems really good to me.  Even better for reanimates who can just heal up all the damage anyway.

Lord Hawthorne's ability as an upgrade isn't anywhere near as good as when he's on his own and can take "sweeping strikes". Only really effective when you're engaged with Multiple units, still it might give that lone Carrion flanker you often get hit by after you hit the reanimate tar-pit pause for thought.

3 hours ago, Willange said:

Cursed Signets seem really strong on spearmen blocks that don't have lots of inspiration sources.  Even 1 un-cancelled blight can pretty well neuter a 9-tray spearmen block with a frontline rune golem.  I would WAY rather lose 1 little spearman than sit there rolling only 1 blue die.  Plus, this makes it so your opponent will have a harder time getting large morale tests on you (since panic doesn't stick), so you don't have to worry as much about crap like Betrayal.  It seems really good to me.  Even better for reanimates who can just heal up all the damage anyway.

Yeah, looks like a seriously nice card, esp when the freaking surge dialing combat ingenuity archers start dropping 2-3 blight a shot. 

Also thank you for this bounty most magnanimous Jek

Edited by Darthain

5 hours ago, jek said:

Well since today is my birthday and I got to get my hands on some early releases I figured I would give you all a present.  Here they are the new expansions! 

H A P P Y   B I R T H D A Y ! ! ! 

And thankyousomuch for the preview!

Edited by maxam

6 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

Any rules on the faction upgrade vs unit of the faction upgrade issue?

Wouldn't think there would be as this is a case of interpretation of the rules not totally new rules.