Sign in to follow this  
Luner_Eclipse

Dipping my toes into the scum faction, any advice

Starting to try some scum lists,

Kavil, lone wolf, TLT, Unhinged astromech

Fenn Rau, Expertise, Advanced proton, auto thrusters, concord dawn protector.

Kaa'to leeachos, bodyguard, cluster missle, hull upgrade, dead mans switch.

Edited by Luner_Eclipse

6 hours ago, Luner_Eclipse said:

Starting to try some scum lists,

Kavil, lone wolf, TLT, Unhinged astromech

Fenn Rau, Expertise, Advanced proton, auto thrusters, concord dawn protector.

Kaa'to leeachos, bodyguard, cluster missle, hull upgrade, dead mans switch.

What would Kaa'to be the body guard of? He will not be as maneuverable as Fenn and since you have lone wolf on Kavil you won't want him near the Y. just not understanding his role completely. Body Guard is nice in theory but I think that you are going to be arc dodging Fenn everywhere and it will very difficult to keep Kaa'to and Fenn close together. Not to mention, his pilot ability would only weaken the shots of the companion he will be accompanying. He doesn't seem worth it to me. 

I find that giving Kavil Veteran instincts is much better than lone wolf. PS 9 on him is a great choice and if you get him in the right orientation he would possibly be able to force the opponent to spend any focuses or evades so that Fenn will have an attack that could potentially be devastating. 

In my experience PtL on Fenn is a staple. Being able to both boost and barrel roll if needed to dodge an arc is amazing and keeps him around longer. He is fragile. Other than that, I think he is setup very nicely.

I propose this:

N'dru Suhlak (Z-95): VI, Glitterstim, Cluster Missiles with Guidance chips

Fenn Rau: PtL, autothrusters, title, adv proton

Kavil: VI, Unhinged, TLT

This comes up to 97 points. You can adjust as you see fit with that wiggle room. 

N'dru has the potential to one-shot a ship with that setup. rolling 4 dice twice with his ability! 8 dice! modify up to one blank with Guidance chips and Glitter with any focus. You will roll on average about 6-7 damage with a single attack. He is pretty BA. Downside he will be a target from the beginning against someone who knows what trickery he is capable of. I one shot a TLT Y-wing once with this combo. One word: Nasty. 

6 hours ago, Luner_Eclipse said:

At this current moment, protectorate and most wanted set, including fire spray.

looking to buy more, what would you suggest I buy next?

Ya know, that is a good question. All the small based scum ships are not very good. It is the pilots and the scum tricks that make them better (fortunately, scum has a ton of tricks available).

To answer your question of which to purchase next . . . 

In short:

1. Starviper

2. JM5K

3. Misthunter 

4. Scyk

I have my reasons for getting each. 

1. Starviper: It sounds like you have autothrusters already so I would not bother with the starviper just yet . . . or at least not until the scum guns for hire set comes out. SO we will nix that from the list for now.

2. Jumpmaster 5000: I do not know your feelings on playing the current meta but the Jumpmaster 5000 (JM5K) is a must if you want to run that. I play pretty casually and I am super reluctant to play meta-type lists so I have yet to pick up a JM5K. They have awesome upgrade cards like Attani Mindlink that make your action economy very good, allowing for everyone that has one equipped to gain a focus when another ship that is also equipped takes a focus. Notice that I did not say take a focus action. It says when it is assigned a focus. this also applies for stress tokens as well. They are also very cheap to fly with their unnamed pilots the contracted scout. 

3. The Misthunter: this is a really cruddy version of the Rebel B-wing but can't even equip torpedos however this expansion comes with some pretty awesome crew cards that are pretty much staple in lists that I make and they are 4-LOM and Zuckuss. Now remember Zuckuss got nerfed so his ability is not as good as it used to be but still great. 4-LOM however has won my heart (cheese ball . . . I know). He basically allows you to take an ion token to block the opponents usage of either a focus or evade token when defending. This may sound like a bad idea but if you put him on a large based ship (like your Firespray) it makes it much more powerful because large based ships need to take two ion tokens before they are forced to do the white one forward move. You following? This combo makes those difficult aces (Soontir Fel, Whisper, etc) much easier to deal with. Now I know that I made it sound like you should only get this expansion for the crew (they are my favorite part of this expansion) but the ship itself is one of my favorites. It can be fun to play with on a casual basis. It also comes with tractor beam which I have found some success with. 

4. M3-A Interceptor: Another Possibility is the M3-A Interceptor. At face value people look at the ship and think it is garbage but i think that it gets an undeserved bad wrap. It is a great support ship and can be a very cheap and hard to hit cannon runner for your squad. Very nice addition. Comes with mangler cannon.

I LOVE SCUM! Now you got me in the mood to play! Dah!!!

"Dipping my toes into the scum faction, any advice"

Wear rubber farm boots. ?

If you are only running one faction, Scum has some nice variety.  One thing that hampers unifactioners is the distribution of non-spec upgrades across releases. You may need to proxy or eBay some. 

I enjoy the Houndstooth and it comes with very useful crew.