EdgeOfDreams

What ever happened to BoShek?

42 minutes ago, EdgeOfDreams said:

I remember the freakout that happened on the forums when BoShek was first revealed, but I don't think I've seen anyone talking about him in the last few months. What happened? Is he just too hard to use competitively?

Him, Fat Han, and a Tatooine farmboy are all hanging out in a cantina talking about why the Old Fossil is still NOT in the game.

41 minutes ago, EdgeOfDreams said:

I remember the freakout that happened on the forums when BoShek was first revealed, but I don't think I've seen anyone talking about him in the last few months. What happened? Is he just too hard to use competitively?

As the ancient posts claiming that Palpatine was to costly to ever be worth taking and those claiming that Mindlink was to gimmicky to ever see use out of casual play prove, this forum is absolute **** at predicting what will and won't be competitive.

I think it's just the complexity, paired with the uncertainty that he'll be beneficial. Using him well requires that:

1) Your opponent is in a position where an adjacent maneuver is much worse than the chosen maneuver.
2) They didn't anticipate your using BoShek.
3) You correctly anticipated their lack of anticipation OR correctly anticipated that they did anticipate you, and thus didn't use him.

It's a lot of moving parts and mental strategy for the effort. That's especially hard to use well in tournaments, where reducing the number of variables to think about is often a key success strategy.

9 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

I think it's just the complexity, paired with the uncertainty that he'll be beneficial. Using him well requires that:

1) Your opponent is in a position where an adjacent maneuver is much worse than the chosen maneuver.
2) They didn't anticipate your using BoShek.
3) You correctly anticipated their lack of anticipation OR correctly anticipated that they did anticipate you, and thus didn't use him.

It's a lot of moving parts and mental strategy for the effort. That's especially hard to use well in tournaments, where reducing the number of variables to think about is often a key success strategy.

Pretty much ^this^ the double-gambit strategy just turns into roulette. Add Intel for some assurance, but pair BoShek with Cassian crew (who suffers a similar problem) to exponentially increase headache potential.

About the only reasonable use I've seen for it is with Intel Agent on Oicunn.  You have a strong reason for ramming people, and with Daredevil, a lot of reach.  The build is Oicunn/Daredevil/Dauntless/Engine/BoShek/Intel/Recruit.  Maybe with a pair of Conner Nets if you have spare points because Bo Shek can potentially force people through them.  But it's not competitive.

It is SUPER fun though.

Stay on Target and BoShek both come from Heaver winning Worlds and getting to catalyze a card design (not sure how much of the wording is his).  BTW, that is a super cool prize!

Neither is a card that you will see every game, but each has distinct applications for the right lists. SoT was fairy fringe until Nien Numb was released. I anticipate there may be future synergies in the furture with new bumpy pilots or new bumpy crew. 

My current triple scum hawk list has Boshek on a ps 1 hawk with Intel agent on Mux. Plus a PS 1 quadjumper... move the quad first, tractor Beam someone, then ram the PS1 hawk into them before they have moved ..

What i find funny is the guy who created the card doesnt even play with it. I mean if i had the same chance, i would make sure to create something i would want to use, no?

Just now, Thormind said:

What i find funny is the guy who created the card doesnt even play with it. I mean if i had the same chance, i would make sure to create something i would want to use, no?

So Boshek/Cassian is really fun. There are only 3 ships you can run them on and none really make sense. 

YT1300

U-wing

Ghost

53 minutes ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

Stay on Target and BoShek both come from Heaver winning Worlds and getting to catalyze a card design (not sure how much of the wording is his).  BTW, that is a super cool prize!

Neither is a card that you will see every game, but each has distinct applications for the right lists. SoT was fairy fringe until Nien Numb was released. I anticipate there may be future synergies in the furture with new bumpy pilots or new bumpy crew. 

SoT Nien would be a lot of fun... if Nien wasn't PS7.  PS7 Hera in the Ghost suffers the exact same problem.  When you have to activate before the vast majority of the enemy ships you can expect to face in the meta, it's not at all helpful to rotate your dial.  Miranda, Fenn, Dengar, RAC, Quickdraw, Inquisitor, Whisper, Vader, and any of the following if they boost their PS via EPT or you don't control initiative: Bossk, Tel, Ketsu, Dash, ...

As for BoShek, he's very powerful and obnoxious.  That being said, there's only one or maybe two key times he'll have a chance to affect a game, and in each of those cases it's a coin-toss as to whether he'll have any effect or not (in fact, at the last tournament I was at there was a guy who was literally flipping a coin everytime he had an opportunity to BoShek so that his opponents wouldn't have any inclination to his decision before they set their dial).  At the Top Level of the competitive game you don't see him much yet because things that require a coin-toss aren't reliable enough to carry you when you need to win six or seven games in a row.  That being said, I've toyed with him quite a bit and I think are a few platforms where he can work well (e.g. Rebel TIE, Oicunn), but the biggest issue is that in the current meta those ships and the sort of lists they can fit into aren't in a terribly dominant spot right now.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

17 minutes ago, Kelvan said:

So Boshek/Cassian is really fun. There are only 3 ships you can run them on and none really make sense. 

YT1300

U-wing

Ghost

There will be a fourth once the new Wookie ship comes out, no idea if it will work any better than these though.

4 hours ago, Kelvan said:

YT1300

U-wing

Ghost

Hes also a great match with Oicun and the Decimator. Not really competitive but really fun to play.

I think the key is to bump with him, but keep your opponent guessing on if you will use him or not. If mind games are your thing, he works nicely. Keep the uncertainty and even people who are planning for him might get screwed when they pick a maneuver adjacent to the one they wanted, but you pull a bait and switch.

21 hours ago, Princezilla said:

As the ancient posts claiming that Palpatine was to costly to ever be worth taking and those claiming that Mindlink was to gimmicky to ever see use out of casual play prove, this forum is absolute **** at predicting what will and won't be competitive.

Yeah wasn't Juno Eclipse the end of the world too? :lol: