Sign in to follow this  
Underachiever599

When to bring in an Inquisitor?

My campaign will sadly be wrapping up here soon (or at least hitting a temporary stopping point), and I want to do something big for the last game. I've had an Inquisitor posing a constant looming threat in the background, and I'm thinking of bringing him in as the 'final boss'. My players will be between 150-200ish xp at the time of the final game.

The most recent big challenge they have faced was a Magnaguard a few weeks back, and it nearly wiped the party, though the two lightsaber users have since taken more ranks in parry. 

I have two lightsaber users, both with just a couple ranks in parry and reflect, and very little in the way if Force powers (one has Seek, the other Sense, in addition to the lightsaber throw talent). My other two players are a tanky medical droid and a gunslinger with a heavily modded pistol. None of the players have a characteristic over 4, but they all have a couple ranks in their main combat skill.

With all that said, would a straight out of the book Inquisitor be too much for them?

Edited by Underachiever599

First off, I'm not even sure how a single Magnaguard posed as much of a problem to them.

4 attacks/round vs 1 attack/round, that Magnaguard should be taken out  fairly quick.

I would make the Inquisitor exactly how you invision them to be, then see what happens. Especially as this is a break/end, if the Inquisitor wins the battle then the players have something drawing them back to the game that they need to overcome when you pick it back up and if it's ending, well what a way to end it: death by Inquisitor.

That or they will be triumphant and it will be a good wrap to that arc/game.

Edited by GroggyGolem

11 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

First off, I'm not even sure how a single Magnaguard posed as much of a problem to them.

4 attacks/round vs 1 attack/round, that Magnaguard should be taken out  fairly quick.

I used the special rules for Nemesis that let them take an extra round at the bottom of the initiative. And none of the players other than the droid have a high soak or wound threshold, so getting hit with both strikes from an Electrostaff can down them pretty quickly.

Also it doesn't help when someone rolls a despair while shooting at the Magnaguard while it was in engaged range with the one player who had ranks in parry, so they accidentally downed the player most likely to bring it down.

Oh, and soak 8 is a real pain to overcome with blaster pistols, so the gunslinger barely did any damage.

It was way harder in practice than it seems on paper.

Edited by Underachiever599

18 hours ago, Underachiever599 said:

I used the special rules for Nemesis that let them take an extra round at the bottom of the initiative. And none of the players other than the droid have a high soak or wound threshold, so getting hit with both strikes from an Electrostaff can down them pretty quickly.

Also it doesn't help when someone rolls a despair while shooting at the Magnaguard while it was in engaged range with the one player who had ranks in parry, so they accidentally downed the player most likely to bring it down.

Oh, and soak 8 is a real pain to overcome with blaster pistols, so the gunslinger barely did any damage.

It was way harder in practice than it seems on paper.

Ah, yeah that sounds much more difficult. Especially if the players don't have pierce weaponry. I never used the double attack rule as I don't ever have the players fight a single opponent when the npc is smart enough. I have used the squad rules when I need to protect the big bad though.

Personally, I might even throw a twist into the story with the inquisitor, that their goal is less to kill them all or capture them all. Maybe the inquisitor is trying to recruit the Force Sensitive and the others are just acceptable loss.

Mechanically, the inquisitor would be aiming to incapacitate the other 3 and maybe knock the force sensitive out with strain damage or some such but they would basically be attacking the force sensitive less.