28 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Sorry, what would have been spoiled?  I didn't see much in the way of major plot surprises in here.

Arasou's death. It may not surprise you or us who came from old L5R, but there was still the possibility that Arasou would have a different fate in the new storyline.

As for why the article would have spoiled it, JRosen9 explained it perfectly.

On other topic, I'm happy to see that my loathing of Tsuko is now as fresh as ever. She seems even more stupid than in old L5R if it was possible...

Edited by KerenRhys

I was really hoping Arasou would hang around for awhile instead of both he and Tsuko being written as impatient blood thirsty and boring. I was hoping that was why they mentioned him as the Clan Champion and that he would last for awhile, maybe even not die. shrug i feel like this story was the exact same as it was before with Hotaro killing him personally as the only change.

Maybe Toturi won't avoid the anger and rage and actually go to war with the Crane over this, that would be different. :)

"Down the line, Matsu Gohei grinned, unnervingly jovial in the face of danger as ever."

I love Gohei! That maniac! :D

"Tsuko crashed into her, disrupting the pretentious fluidity of the Crane fighting style and landing a killing blow"

*Shots fired at Crane's fighting style*

"Tsuko pounced forward. “Hope for surrender? What kind of Lion are you?” she snarled. “Trust your instincts, Arasou-sama. Remember, ‘Those who attack first shall win.’ That is our path to victory. A siege has no glory, and hope cannot win us the city.”"

Tsuko may be a Unicorn in disguise, according to the design of this game :P

Overall a great story!

Spoiler for this story:

So will an Arasou card be printed in the core set, do we know? Or is Toturi considered the clan champ of the core set? I did find it interesting that we entered this environment with Arasou as the Clan champion, since he never made it that far in the original fiction, but it makes a bit more sense now as a means to show the Lion clan's initial doubts in Toturi's abilities, having passed over him as Clan champion initially.

End Spoilers

14 minutes ago, WHW said:

Oh, on the third hand, I love the Dynasty Rokugan Warriors, meatgrinding the poor ashigaru and nameless soldiers with single strikes and overall bushi badassery :D.

I so want to see a neutral Ashigaru Spearman card.

On a side note, did the Crane really win that battle by 5M? Fallen in Battle seems wrong in that situation

9 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

I just wish Tutori was like "If you'd listened to ME, my brother would still be alive, you selfish war-mongering assbutts!" But I guess he's still thinking about the proper phrasing. Wanna get it just right.

I am almost positive this will come up at some point in the fiction.

And Toturi will say it in a way that will make Tsuko hate him even more, if that's possible haha.

Hm...but doesn't Hotaru use a naginata?  Clearly the "Hotaru" in the story is Tsuruchi in disguise (with the archers obviously being some of his mercenary followers), and they singled out Arasou to spark a full-out war between Crane and Lion for some reason!

WASP CLAN CONFIRMED!

The story lacks Daidoji Nerishima's POV of Toturi's ambush. ^_^

Toturi's brilliance could have been shown without the focus on the other named Lions' incompetence. I couldn't see in the fiction why Arasou was better than Toturi as a champion in the first place.

the highlight of the story for a Lion fic was all about the Crane, both the immediate sorrow and the succeeding letter from Doji Hotaru saved the fic for me.

Brace for Lion's lamentations about always losing a battle for a clan know for brilliance in war and combat.

Just now, AtoMaki said:

Tsuruchi wouldn't have cried for his opponent, and he would have killed him with a single arrow, so I guess this theory is debunked. 

Well, he/she (can't assume too much here) could just be really playing up the part to make sure people think Hotaru did the shooting.

Though, the two-shot thing is an excellent observation.  Even if it were for deception purposes, could Tsuruchi fail to kill in a single blow?  Hm...

1 minute ago, Bayushi Bajie said:

The story lacks Daidoji Nerishima's POV of Toturi's ambush. ^_^

Toturi's brilliance could have been shown without the focus on the other named Lions' incompetence. I couldn't see in the fiction why Arasou was better than Toturi as a champion in the first place.

the highlight of the story for a Lion fic was all about the Crane, both the immediate sorrow and the succeeding letter from Doji Hotaru saved the fic for me.

Brace for Lion's lamentations about always losing a battle for a clan know for brilliance in war and combat.

I mean technically the Lion won the battle, they just didn't take the city. The Crane were in full retreat, and are still under siege. Although I agree the Lion are supposed to be the best at war and the best tacticians, but they always seem to get written losing wars, or winning with over whelming numbers.  Writing them as winning battles with brilliant tactics has happened a few times and are some of my favorite stories for them. Or the storyline where Matsu Yoshino said we will sack your city a year from now, stop us if you can, and they couldn't was cool as well.

4 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Well, he/she (can't assume too much here) could just be really playing up the part to make sure people think Hotaru did the shooting.

Though, the two-shot thing is an excellent observation.  Even if it were for deception purposes, could Tsuruchi fail to kill in a single blow?  Hm...

The first arrow did go straight into his chest, it may have been a killing blow regardless, jsut may have taken longer; hence the second arrow to drop him now

First arrow also didn't even slow him down, so he probably would be fine. I imagine that Hotaru would love to "simply" wound him and defang him by forcing him to retreat wounded, but he probably was the kind of opponent who would take 10000000000 arrows to the chest and still march your troops down, and her only chance was a killing blow to the back of the helmet. 

Good strategy often leads to overwhelming numbers. 

This is worth noting, because people often think that good strategy should translate to winning without regard for numbers...and while it can, a good strategist should also know (as about the first lesson they learn) that fighting without a numerical advantage is a foolish, risky, desperate way to fight. The Lion SHOULD be shown to outnumber their opponents most of the time, because the Lions are *good* at deploying their forces to achieve victory, and achieving numerical advantage is a big part of that, 

(And even an outnumbered general's best move is usually to concentrate their forces against a weaker part of the enemy army, achieving *local* number advantage and using it to break the enemy's coordination)

Edited by Himoto

1 hour ago, WHW said:

Oh, on the third hand, I love the Dynasty Rokugan Warriors, meatgrinding the poor ashigaru and nameless soldiers with single strikes and overall bushi badassery :D.

This was one of the top parts in the story for me. I like clearly shown power levels. 

Edited by AtoMaki

5 minutes ago, Akodo_Metuki said:

I mean technically the Lion won the battle, they just didn't take the city. The Crane were in full retreat, and are still under siege. Although I agree the Lion are supposed to be the best at war and the best tacticians, but they always seem to get written losing wars, or winning with over whelming numbers.  Writing them as winning battles with brilliant tactics has happened a few times and are some of my favorite stories for them. Or the storyline where Matsu Yoshino said we will sack your city a year from now, stop us if you can, and they couldn't was cool as well.

I seem to recall Yoshino getting killed by Chagatai in that fic but even there, I vaguely recall he was sacrificing himself for the Clan.

the only real win I read, recall and liked was Domotai's army vs Legulus'. The calculations and meticulous planning really shows the virtue, brilliance and sheer dedication of the Lion army.

Just now, Doji Makoto said:

I suppose you mean Dairuko?

Yup, you know how it goes with Lion Champion..once you see one, you see them all plus I couldnt be bothered to know them thoroughly since they seem to change every season ^_^

just to be clear: it was Dairuko and i kid with the above post