As I thought, the clan article couldn't be switched with the story last week or even put at the same time this week without spoiling what's happening in it for those who would have read the article before the story. Now, I bet the schedule will be accelerated for another clan where the presence or absence of a card will not spoil the story as much.

Edited by KerenRhys

13 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

This one was nice, but the lack of TWEAST was disappointing (well, except that one).  And Toturi's reskin looks like he is straight out from a harem anime. 

I'm not familiar with this term.  What do you mean by it?

"Toturi, let's go over the battle plan."

"Okay Arasou."

"The main force will be me. You will take command of this other squad of every other important person in the entire Lion Clan."

"Uh, okay."

"If Tsuko starts acting like she has rabies and has no idea what even the most basic tactics in war are, it's fine. Also, if I die, please give an awkward and strangely overdramatic soliloquy."

".... Okay."

27 minutes ago, KerenRhys said:

As I thought, the clan article couldn't be switched with the story last week or even put at the same time this week without spoiling what's happening in it for those who would have read the article before the story. Now, I bet the schedule will be accelerated for another clan where the presence or absence of a card will not spoil the story as much.

I can imagine in any case, the story will fit better before the article.

I just cannot see why the article cannot be thrown lets say, 1 hour after the story. There is a dedicated and expectating crowd here, that will certainly read things in the right order (most followers will probably read the story before 1 hour after publishing).

I mean: even though a couple of people will be spoiled, the community will receive things in order.

All this to say: I need to see more cards now!

"The story takes place several weeks after “Her Father’s Daughter,” the first piece of fiction for Legend of the Five Rings that can be found here."

It was released several weeks after Her Father's Daughter as well! Maybe the timeline of the story will be running in real time? ;) 

37 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

This one was nice, but the lack of TWEAST was disappointing (well, except that one).  And Toturi's reskin looks like he is straight out from a harem anime. 

Can't wait to see Ikoma Tsanuri all "AHH PLEASE NOTICE ME SEMPAIIII"

6 minutes ago, Koriume said:

I can imagine in any case, the story will fit better before the article.

I just cannot see why the article cannot be thrown lets say, 1 hour after the story. There is a dedicated and expectating crowd here, that will certainly read things in the right order (most followers will probably read the story before 1 hour after publishing).

I mean: even though a couple of people will be spoiled, the community will receive things in order.

All this to say: I need to see more cards now!

I can see an issue with 1 hour as it doesn't give people a chance to even see the story.  However, I can't see an issue with not releasing the article say a day or 2 days later.

33 minutes ago, KerenRhys said:

Sorry, what would have been spoiled?  I didn't see much in the way of major plot surprises in here.

Concerning the fiction itself, I once again enjoyed the first part, but didn't care much for the second part, trying to get inside Toturi's head.  I'm not really sure why I don't like these scenes, but it just feels like we're getting too close to the champions too quickly.  Personally, I much prefer when a point-of-view character is a more minor character rather than when it's a much more main character.  Maybe it's more immersive that way?  I guess I have at least five more of these to try to figure it out.

Also, I wonder if Nerishma was with the Crane group that got caught by Toturi's force...

I'm little torn apart by this fiction. On the one hand, I feel that this was much better technically and overall better written than previous fiction. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Crane Story; it's just that IMHO Mr Laderoute had to play little against himself on that one, with the heavy emphasis on the "sit in the place and exposition talk"in the second part. Here, action and dialogue were brilliantly mixed, flowing and interchanging naturally. Dialogue itself also was handled better, I think, including better use of honorifics (IMHO). 

On the other hand, I think that as far as actual story goes, I think I preferred the Crane one. Mostly because of Arasou and Tsuko, honestly - Arasou was very, very cartoonishly flamboyant and incompetent. I think I would enjoy it much more if his plan *was* right and Lion *would win decisively*, with him being the random, statistical, unfair death.  Can you imagine potential of the story where Tsuko observes Arasous unfair, unglorious, plain death, and then is forced to see how it's spun into a epic tale of heroism that WON THE DAY and RECLAIMED TOSHI RANBO!, dehumanizing the man Arasou was and turning him into propaganda symbol? I would love to see that. But I acknowledge that it wouldn't lead into neat Matsu vs Akodo schism.

Talking about Tsuko, she is my second complaint about the story.  While I think it was a great move to make her a POV of the first half of the story, it mostly has shown that there isn't really much to her other than being angry, impatient and Arasou-crazed. I hope we will get to see some positive and reedeming aspects of her in later fictions, because there isn't anything that makes me interested in her as a character at the moment. As a Toturi's antagonist, sure, but as her own character, no. 

I liked Toturi and I like his current situation; I think he is a good protagonist, just like Hotaru. I also liked the supporting cast; they saved Lion Clan from looking like a bunch of impatient warbabies ("as if thinking works", ughhhhhhhhh). 

(By the way, Katsuki Bakudou from Boku No Hero Academia is probably character closest to "being a great example of Matsu" I currently can remember, showing that you can be aggressive and angry without being dumb). 

1 minute ago, JRosen9 said:

I can see an issue with 1 hour as it doesn't give people a chance to even see the story.  However, I can't see an issue with not releasing the article say a day or 2 days later.

I may find some Matsu ancestor somewhere in my tree, but the fact is that I want to see the cards now... not tomorrow. :-)

1 minute ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

It was released several weeks after Her Father's Daughter as well! Maybe the timeline of the story will be running in real time? ;) 

That's actually possible, it will give us a chance to see the same set of events from different perspectives, while still having the story advance.  I always enjoyed that about the Song of Ice and Fire books, you don't always get the complete picture, just these descriptions of past events from differing perspectives, each of which only has partial information.

5 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Sorry, what would have been spoiled?  I didn't see much in the way of major plot surprises in here.

Arasou's Death.  The previous lion story bits talks about Arasou being the champion and Totouri being a good general.  If they released the card previews first and Toturi is shown to be the champion and there is no Arasou card it would have spoiled that Arasou dies before the set is released

10 minutes ago, Tetsuro said:

Can't wait to see Ikoma Tsanuri all "AHH PLEASE NOTICE ME SEMPAIIII"

Tsuko's tent scene was already "Sempai does not notice me!" tier, so for one, I'm appeased :lol: