6 minutes ago, illenvillen said:

Where did they say that? 

It's going to be odd to make lore when a dead character wins at world's. Lol

I believe it was in the last Facebook Live.  It was a video Q&A for sure.

Rokugan is a land where the ancestors routinely guide the living. If a dead character is instrumental to the victory of a deck, AND the story writers want to reflect that, have it be the influence of a shiryo. 

10 hours ago, illenvillen said:

Where did they say that? 

It's going to be odd to make lore when a dead character wins at world's. Lol

I don't see the difference with a deck with Kakita, Isawa or Hiruma winning any tournament in old L5R.

I'm new to L5R, I wasn't aware that they had already dealt with this kind of thing before.  

I had heard stories of people getting upset when their favorite character died in the storyline and wrongly assumed that meant they couldn't be used in tournaments anymore. 

14 hours ago, Toqtamish said:

Not any different than Tywin Lannister or Eddard Stark winning a tournament for AGoT LCG. The game and the story are independent of each other. 

Actually it is different AGOT is not a living story like L5R was/is, the soul of xxxx never bothered me, but when someone dies in the story then the next year that character is instrumental in winning GC. then i might be annoyed. but more importantly hwo will the game move forward with new clan champions as the old die and new take their place could you eventually have 6 clan champions in your deck, or will the keyword be used to restricting you to 1 named clan champion(3 copies of 1 name with clan champion keyword)

26 minutes ago, Akodo_Metuki said:

Actually it is different AGOT is not a living story like L5R was/is, the soul of xxxx never bothered me, but when someone dies in the story then the next year that character is instrumental in winning GC. then i might be annoyed. but more importantly hwo will the game move forward with new clan champions as the old die and new take their place could you eventually have 6 clan champions in your deck, or will the keyword be used to restricting you to 1 named clan champion(3 copies of 1 name with clan champion keyword)

The game is separate. It is that simple. As they said in the video the cards for a character represent that character at a point in time. 

If it bothers you better get prepared for it now as it is gonna happen sooner or later. 

24 minutes ago, Akodo_Metuki said:

I can see the concern with people just loading up on clan champions, but keep in mind that the economy is also far more limited in the LCG than it was in the CCG.  Between the lack of resource-producing holdings and the cost of Conflict cards, you'll never really have a situation where you're simply producing dozens of extra resources every turn, making expensive characters another piece of the deck to be managed, rather than auto-included.  If someone is only able to buy one character a turn, and not play many Conflict cards, they're going to have a very difficult time against decks that are more capable of attacking twice and defending twice.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a limit of only 1 Clan Champ and 2 Daimyos or something like that. Hell, they may even make it so that you can only have one daimyo from each family in your deck at a time. That'd be nice.

It'll all depend on how much they want to restrict deck building for the sake of the story.

1 hour ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a limit of only 1 Clan Champ and 2 Daimyos or something like that. Hell, they may even make it so that you can only have one daimyo from each family in your deck at a time. That'd be nice.

It'll all depend on how much they want to restrict deck building for the sake of the story.

I hope you're wrong and they don't restrict deckbuilding for story.

I also hope instead of big boxes like AGoT gets, we get boxes like ANR's Terminal Directive...

3 hours ago, PhoenixInferno said:

I hope you're wrong and they don't restrict deckbuilding for story.

I also hope instead of big boxes like AGoT gets, we get boxes like ANR's Terminal Directive...

5 hours ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

They won't restrict deckbuilding for story purposes at all. Restricting deckbuilding for story purposes is the best way to choke the life out of the game in the blink of an eye. They already said that  personalities will not become illegal cause they are dead in the story. As long as a character is legal to play, he won't be affected by what happens to him in the story, until he cycles out. Dead characters that are still legal can be justified in a number of ways, alternate timelines, past stories, dreams etc.

13 hours ago, PhoenixInferno said:

You mean a handful of card in a really big box? More seriously, I heard from Netrunner player that it is seriously unbalanced.

Games of L5R are inherently distinct from the canon storyline, because they present the opportunity, often realized, for things to turn out very differently each time. If I kill your Doji Hotaru in the unfolding narrative of a particular game, it has no bearing on the unfolding narrative of the weekly fiction. It's simply that the reverse is also true: her death in the weekly fiction does not preclude her survival in our game.

Something to add... I've seen a some posts mentioning concern of what will happen if someone wins a big tournament with big name characters that have died and what that may do to the story.  

I believe that we have heard that the story prizes will be handled differently from ffg, and the story prizes will likely be less open to the imaginations of the winner.  Sounds like ffg has a more directed path it wants to take us on, and we will be able to shape it by choosing between certain specific characters or story turns where ffg has a plan for all potential outcomes.

Fumio will likely never become clan champ and I'm a betting deck list full of dead characters won't somehow create a massive undead army from clan x to fight to overtake Rokugan (as interesting as that may be)!  

I really hope that the characters we choose to put in our decks along with things like what clan we influence into our decks do play a potential role in the story.  I Just don't think they will feel obligated to fulfill any or every story request just because the winner included dead story characters or whatever else it may be

Another thing worth mentioning is that most of us weren't upset when characters we liked died.  We did have a laundry list of things we didn't like, but that wasn't one of them.  I'd say it was worse when a popular character was killed off-screen, or when a character (usually a champion level character) long overstayed their welcome and became stale and two dimensional.  We didn't generally like characters dying en masse in a plot device to cycle a ton of them to make way for new characters we didn't yet care about.

Some of the best story moments were times that a character died a good death - either as a sacrifice or as a result of bad decisions.