King Cheesecake

Protecting the Deepwood

2 minutes ago, King Cheesecake said:

I guess because you can either upgrade it with a banner or a hero, not both.

But then comes the question. Why wouldn't the 6 tray option come with the same option of having a banner instead of the champion?

6 minutes ago, Necronson said:

But then comes the question. Why wouldn't the 6 tray option come with the same option of having a banner instead of the champion?

There must be a champion + banner combo that makes these guys broken.  Anybody want to guess what it is?

Mildly annoying they cant have a siege and a banner upgrade. Depending on how the ruling is for Kari's unit in a Daqan army for faction-specific upgrades, that could be why they cant have a Banner and Character.

Dial is basically identical to the Reanimate Archers. Turns arent slowing them down and they dont have a Wheel mod, can Shift after a Rally instead of the other way around, capable of a 1turn Shift, and move much faster than Reanimates though they attack at the same time. Their inability to Reform without Marching first is concerning....
(Oh and theyre speeds 1 and 2 rather than 2 and 3...interesting)

As for the dice, they will benefit from some card-based surge ability since blue dice have pretty good odds at getting a Surge and they also have a doublesurge. Accuracy icon enables character sniping innately which is nice, but comes at the drawback of the lowest damage odds (4 faces have a hit, while red have 5 and white have 7hits 1 mort 1 doublehit out of 12faces). Unless theyre swapping out for a white i dont see them doing crazy amounts of damage, and even then...iffy.

Yeah, to me they feel exactly like the Reanimate Archers except they lack the blight synergy potential with other units.

Edited by Vineheart01

1 minute ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah, to me they feel exactly like the Reanimate Archers except they lack the blight synergy potential with other units.

But I think the red die on the Reanimate Archers makes a big difference. They dealt decent damage last game to my opponent's Spearmen.

Here's an idea. 3x2 Deepwood Archers, Storm Sorc., Simultaneous Orders and Fire rune.

Dial in an attack + skill. 

- Attack with two blue dice. 
- Then Trigger Fire Rune for a second attack with 1 red and their inherent precise 1, with threat equal to Red Rune,
- Then Simultaneous orders for Storm Sorceress, to roll 1 blue and hit an enemy at range 1-3 for Green Rune x Surge results damage. No LOS required.

Edit: oh yeah and Frontline Scion for extra health and stun

Edited by Polda

Oh it does. A red/blue combo can do some significant damage, but largely theyre better off as blight batteries rather than raw damage since the instant they get caught in melee theys' dead yo.
Double blue has less odds for damage AND no double damage icon. So the Latari Archers are doing less damage max, on average less damage (debatable due to innate free reroll), and dont have a reason to exist outside of raw damage as of right now.

Though they are capable of the same Fire Rune shenanigans where they shoot normally then fire rune action so that may prove useful with the innate reroll.

I was honestly expecting these archers to have either higher than usual top damage for the generic infantry choice of this faction, or ways to "fix" their rolls to be more reliable damage rather than high damage. Right now i dont get the feeling of either, which i could overlook if they had some other reason to exist such as the Reanimate Archers do

Edited by Vineheart01

These look like good ranged units to me, but I kind of wish the Latari army box came with something else other than these as the "main" unit.  The core set is a great deal as you get a lot of infantry that you're likely to want in large formations.  I'm not sure how an army built around ranged units will perform.  You can cram a lot of upgrades in a 6 tray formation which is nice, however.

If what we can assume will be Latari melee infantry look like a solid unit you might want to build your army around you're going to have to pay for a lot of expansions.

The Deepwiod archers are extremely mobile.  They are shifty, and can likely avoid being engaged on their own.  Unlike reanimate archers needing a blocker.  This allows the Leonx and Scions to go do their thing.  Plus these archers are cheap.

i don't envision this army ever using the traditional 3X3 infantry.  And I like that.

5 minutes ago, Daverman said:

These look like good ranged units to me, but I kind of wish the Latari army box came with something else other than these as the "main" unit.  The core set is a great deal as you get a lot of infantry that you're likely to want in large formations.  I'm not sure how an army built around ranged units will perform.  You can cram a lot of upgrades in a 6 tray formation which is nice, however.

If what we can assume will be Latari melee infantry look like a solid unit you might want to build your army around you're going to have to pay for a lot of expansions.

Theyre the Night Elves from WC3. Most people had the same reaction when they saw the base unit was an archer but Night Elves proved to be a rather problematic thorn because of their instant ranged attacks.

The innate reroll means you can get away with fielding several 2x1 units and not really feel much of a damage loss, and they still have access to Equipment which is pretty important. You could easily have 2 2x1 archers lined up and have the front one Shoot + Wind Rune to the side for the rear one to have a clear shot + Fire Rune for doubleattack, using their ability to shift over/back up if it shows up.

There will be applications for them, theyre not as obvious as a melee unit though since they are squishy. A Death Star of these archers will be pretty pathetic imo, but split that 3x2 into 3 2x1 and that could be a problem given positioning and upgrade choices.