Sign in to follow this  
boow

Boarding Engineers & "One at a Time"

So the new boarding party shown in the preview today, boarding engineers, states "When you reveal a command, you may discard a “activate squadron” dial or token and this card to choose 1 enemy ship at close range. Look at its facedown damage cards and flip a number of them faceup up to your engineering value (one at a time)." 

What is the purpose of the "one at a time" phrase?  Say i'm boarding a ship that has 3 face down cards and hull value of 6 or so. I see a "structural damage" card and flip that faceup. Do you resolve that card immediately by adding another damage card and then flipping the structural damage back facedown? If you still have cards to choose because your engineering value was greater than 1, do you add those cards back to the facedown pile to choose from?

I cannot imagine they intended for a structural damage card to be flipped multiple times by Boarding Engineers, but I guess the "one at a time" phrasing got me thinking about it, as the only reason to include the phrase was to make sure you resolve the damage card...

The question has been asked, there is no direct answer forthcoming from FFG at this stage.

We discussed it a bit in the past when it first came up, but there isn't anything specific.  I think a quiet majority (at least of the minority of people who kick ideas around) are more comfortable with the idea that the "One at a time" is to mean you resolve them fully, one at a time, before doing the next.

So you'll look at them, select one - resolve it (and its effects), in the case of say, Projector Misaligned or Capacitor failure - so there's no question on  what order they should be applied in afterwards.  If it matters.  Because there's quite a few permutations, it could matter.

(But both the feelings of the majority-of-minority is very much a personal feeling on my part - I have no proof and can engender no vote on the matter to prove my words - only that it makes a lot of sense)

Edited by Drasnighta

I don't think the intent is to allow a 2 point upgrade to auto deal 4 damage. 

My interpretation is you pick your crits, set them aside, and resolve them one at a time. This way if you flip a structural, you don't get to pick that new card, and you don't get to flip the structural again.

Who knows what to correct way to resolve the card is.

7 minutes ago, boow said:

Ah, sorry I hadn't seen a discussion thread, but am not the best at searching! Didn't mean to start the same conversation over!

Its cool.

Its just mostly...  I really wish we had a definitive answer for you.  But we don't :(

48 minutes ago, boow said:

Ah, sorry I hadn't seen a discussion thread, but am not the best at searching! Didn't mean to start the same conversation over!

You'll find that the rules forum generally doesn't mind re-answering old questions for newcomers, so no worries on that point.

That said, for future reference, the easiest way to search these forums is to Google it with "site:community.fantasyflightgames.com" in your search. The native search function here isn't great.

32 minutes ago, GhostOfArdaedhel said:

You'll find that the rules forum generally doesn't mind re-answering old questions for newcomers, so no worries on that point.

That said, for future reference, the easiest way to search these forums is to Google it with "site:community.fantasyflightgames.com" in your search. The native search function here isn't great.

Indeed.  Sometimes, there's new info for a new discussion, and we're all on discussion :D

And on the search - I'm somewhat pretty good at having the search engine work okay for me here, but really...  Its not that robust, and false positives and duplicates like youd never believe...  Google away, because no-one should really be like me :D