Sign in to follow this  
jaor

Delayed by being thrown into OW and Phase order ambiguity

Hi there,

I have searched forum, but didn't find an answer to my question. Let me give you an example:

Ex.1

1. Move Phase - a player moves into the location with a gate
  2. Arkham Phase - a player get's into the OW
  3. OW Phase - a player draws card
  4. Move Phase - a player moves to the second region
  5. OW Phase - a player draws card
  6. Move Phase - a player returns to Arkham

Ex.2 

1. Myth Phase - a gate opens where player stands, he's thrown into OW and is delayed
  2. Move Phase - a player gets up
  3. OW Phase - a player draws card
  4. Move Phase - a player moves to the second region
  5. OW Phase - a player draws card
  6. Move Phase - a player returns to Arkham

So it seems that beeing thrown into OW does nothing.

But then we have FAQ which says:

Q: Why is an investigator delayed when a gate opens
up in their location, but not delayed if he enters the gate
normally?
 A: If the investigator was not delayed by a gate opening
up in his location, he would be able to get through
the Other World having only one Other World Encounter
rather than two.

So I understand it like if player starts in arkham he has Arkham phase and don't have OW Phase. So it'll be like: in arkham phase entering OW and not drawing OW card. Then move and draw one card, then leave OW.

Can anyone tell me what is CORRECT? Cause my friends have another explanation: When in OW you get up in second Move [ = you draw 3 OW cards].

Thanks for help.

I think the correct sequence should be the following (three cases):

case 1, entering in an OW from an open portal [two OW encounters]

- movement phase: you reach the portal, and eventualy fight / evade monsters on it

- Arkham encounters: you are sucked through the portal and enter the OW

- OW encounters: you have an OW encounter

- next round: movement: you move to the second area, etc

case 2, being sucked in an OW by a portal opened by a Mythos card [two OW encounters]

- movement phase: no movement, since you're delayed by being sucked into the portal; just stand up your character

- OW encounters: draw and resolve one OW encounters card

- next round: movement: you move to the second area, or cast find gate, or what else

case 3, being scuked in an OW by a portal opened during the Arkham encounters phase [three OW encounters]

- Arkham encounters: you are sucked into a gate by a "a monster and a gate appears", so you enter the OW

- OW encounters: this phase happens after the Arkham encounters phase, so the round you're sucked in you have to face an OW encounter

- next round: being sucked through a portal makes you start delayed; so no movement this round, just stand up your character

- OW encounters: have an OW encounter while still in the first area of the OW

- successive round: movement: you are no longer delayed, so you can move to OWs second area and have an encounter there

If you were sucked into an OW during the Mythos Phase without being delayed:

Mythos, Turn 0: move to OW first area
Movement, Turn 1: move to OW second area
OW Encounter, Turn 1: have Encounter
Movement, Turn 2: return to Arkham

Only one OW Encounter, and the creators were trying to avoid having less than two.  Hence, delayed.

Yes, absolutely. You have to be delayed when sucked in an OW during Mythos phase in order to have your two encounters there.

But why being delayed when you're sucked in during Arkham encounter phase, thus having three encounters in the OW ? Why not playing it as if the portal was already there, and then having only two encounters, as usual ?

From the rulebook of AH, pag 9:

Important: If an investigator is drawn through a gate that appears as a result of an encounter (such as “A gate appears!” or “A gate and a monster appear!”), then he is delayed, just as if he had been drawn through a gate in the Mythos Phase.

Julia said:

From the rulebook of AH, pag 9:

Important: If an investigator is drawn through a gate that appears as a result of an encounter (such as “A gate appears!” or “A gate and a monster appear!”), then he is delayed, just as if he had been drawn through a gate in the Mythos Phase.

Though doesn't really answer the question "why", does it gui%C3%B1o.gif ? To me it makes no big deal, "a gate and a monster appears" is a bad deal regardless whether it takes 2 or 3 turns minimum to come back out.

The best approximation for "why" is that it's easier. It's easier to make one rule: a gate opening on you delays you; than to make different rules based on the phase the gate opens on you.