Jump to content
Undeadguy

Tie Defender vs Jendon

Recommended Posts

I have been having trouble trying to fit Jendon into my fleets. He is 20 points with a cool ability, but I always feel I am better off with adding Boosted Comms and another Tie Defender in his place. It's essentially the same, without the Relay from across the board. And now with the Quasar, I feel Jendon is even less valuable since I can't Relay my full squad value though him, where as BC is a much better choice in combo with Flight Controllers. 

If Jendon had Strategic, he would be much better IMO.

Thoughts? Comments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I have been having trouble trying to fit Jendon into my fleets. He is 20 points with a cool ability, but I always feel I am better off with adding Boosted Comms and another Tie Defender in his place. It's essentially the same, without the Relay from across the board. And now with the Quasar, I feel Jendon is even less valuable since I can't Relay my full squad value though him, where as BC is a much better choice in combo with Flight Controllers. 

If Jendon had Strategic, he would be much better IMO.

Thoughts? Comments?

If you have mareek/bossk/morna/vader, jendon is better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I have been having trouble trying to fit Jendon into my fleets. He is 20 points with a cool ability, but I always feel I am better off with adding Boosted Comms and another Tie Defender in his place. It's essentially the same, without the Relay from across the board. And now with the Quasar, I feel Jendon is even less valuable since I can't Relay my full squad value though him, where as BC is a much better choice in combo with Flight Controllers. 

If Jendon had Strategic, he would be much better IMO.

Thoughts? Comments?

I would think that you'd get Jendon more for his ability than for relay, since a default Lambda is 5 points cheaper and has both Relay and Strategic. As such, with the QF alpha strike, the main reason I can see for taking Jendon over a default shuttle or another TIE/D is the same as taking Jendon at all - you want his ability. Does your alpha strike consist of expensive and powerful bombers (Steele, Boba, etc)? Then take Jendon. Not necessarily because of relay, but so that you get 2 attacks out of your expensive squads. Does your alpha have a linchpin powerful squadron that is the main/heaviest hitter? Take Jendon to essentially have 2. If all your squads are roughly the same in firepower, and are cheaper then Jendon, then you're better off getting another one of those.

Edited by GhostofNobodyInParticular

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Madaghmire said:

If you have mareek/bossk/morna/vader, jendon is better. 

I do have Maarek and Morna. But idk if Jendon is still better than another Tie/D boosted by FC. Morna has 2 less dice and no blues in that situation but she does have rerolls. And Maarek has +1 blue dice and his ability only works on black dice.

I think Jendon is best with Vader, but I don't like to run him. Escort kills it for me. 

22 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

I would think that you'd get Jendon more for his ability than for relay, since a default Lambda is 5 points cheaper and has both Relay and Strategic. As such, with the QF alpha strike, the main reason I can see for taking Jendon over a default shuttle or another TIE/D is the same as taking Jendon at all - you want his ability. Does your alpha strike consist of expensive and powerful bombers (Steele, Boba, etc)? Then take Jendon. Not necessarily because of relay, but so that you get 2 attacks out of your expensive squads. Does your alpha have a linchpin powerful squadron that is the main/heaviest hitter? Take Jendon to essentially have 2. If all your squads are roughly the same in firepower, and are cheaper then Jendon, then you're better off getting another one of those.

I am currently looking at Maarek, Ciena, Morna, Valen, 2 Tie/D, 1 Decimator pushed by Squall+BC+FC. 2 Rogues mean I have more activation freedom, and with a squad token I have a very long range, high damage alpha strike that can survive the return fire. The only squad I can think of swapping for Jendon is the Decimator, but that means I lose a lot of anti-ship punch. One thing I had not really considered was Jendon pushing damage onto ships from Maarek or Morna. 

That might be the correct swap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I do have Maarek and Morna. But idk if Jendon is still better than another Tie/D boosted by FC. Morna has 2 less dice and no blues in that situation but she does have rerolls. And Maarek has +1 blue dice and his ability only works on black dice.

I think Jendon is best with Vader, but I don't like to run him. Escort kills it for me. 

I am currently looking at Maarek, Ciena, Morna, Valen, 2 Tie/D, 1 Decimator pushed by Squall+BC+FC. 2 Rogues mean I have more activation freedom, and with a squad token I have a very long range, high damage alpha strike that can survive the return fire. The only squad I can think of swapping for Jendon is the Decimator, but that means I lose a lot of anti-ship punch. One thing I had not really considered was Jendon pushing damage onto ships from Maarek or Morna. 

That might be the correct swap.

The defender w/ fc boost may be better antisquad, but not nearly as good a second antiship shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate who is a pretty good player runs Jendon flat out now.

Saber squad and Marek are both pretty deadly running off his ability. Also Valen Rudor who can slaughter Tie Interceptors with impunity.

He is also a pretty tough relay node, which lets you park 3 flotillas in the back field safe from everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Undeadguy I think you answered your own question, its not about what squadrons you take with it its what ships you are using. Jendon can double tap someone good sure but that's not much better than just taking the extra defender and shooting with that. 

That said though it's about the support ships - if you're running gozantis that shuttle is invaluable but if your main pusher is going to be an ISD or Quasar then he's not so useful and you might as well invest in more shooty squads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also figure that you can be even more aggressive with the front end of the fighter ball, since if a couple squadrons are just past command range, Jendon can fix that. His ability is straight good, so that's gravy. Losing the Decimator to get him is probably the correct move, since they're approximately as tough, and Jendon can grab someone else for firepower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem I'm having with the shuttle relay scenario so far is that you end up drip feeding squadrons into the engagement whilst your opponent who has a Quasar or ISD decked out with flight controllers etc can hit much harder in return. Means you have to be creative with squadron engagments or you're going to get eaten. Not a problem if your opponent doesn't have a bunch of squads themselves of course. Just pointing out that there is in fact a downside to Jendon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jendon/marek is now almost an auto include. 

Not only does he do decent damage and can brace any damage received but Marek is brutal against ships. If you don't see the value you are not using it right. 

If you want a nice little anti ace hunter squadron you could go from jendon/bossk/zertik

zertik gaurds bossk and Jendon both of which have their own braces, you can use zertik to trigger bossks ability and then bossk can attack twice with an accuracy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drop Decimator. We tried it in our casuals and we didn't like it. It's slow.

Defenders on the other hand... Can cause PTSD in players. Just completed the Second Battle of Corellia where my fleet of 2 GSD, 2 CL and Gozanti went to retake Corellia. My opponent had MC80, 2 MC30, 1 Pelta, 2 GR 75 and 6 As. Needless to say, Steele and 7 Defenders tore through the A wing screen and together with Lambda went to bomb his MC80 to dust. 

I was prettyuch relaying orders here there everywhere. 

In a follow up battle with him in a 400 point BLOCKADE RUN casual, Jendon pretty much asked the accompanying Ds to double tap any of the "fleeing Xs"

In a previous game, 2 GSD and 2 Gozanti together with Jendon, Steele, 5 Ds and 1 Adv went up against 4 Xs and 4Bs. Lets just say that his CAP was quickly overwhelmed by Ds and Jendon. His CAP was totally obliterated when Jendon ordered a D to double tap the son of Skywalker. 

TLDR; Jendon's Orchestra is indeed powerful. All the double taps and countless possibilities. Just imagine he asking a TIE Interceptor to double tap. Throw in Howl's ability to the mix and the Interceptor is practically triple tapping. 

Edited by cruiser2710

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jendon is there for you when you have a defender in the squadron ball and you absolutely need to ensure their target dies. Like for example if I had a squadron in my way that was engaged with two other squadrons I needed to move to lock down bombers...he allows me a double tap...and with a Defender that is HUGE. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Jendon really is is relay without the cost of relay.  He allows you to get a "good" attack in through another, perhaps more expensive squadron.  Hiliariously, in my CC campaign, Jendon had veterancy due to being the only one in range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of comments on using Jendon to double tap for anti-squadron, but I think that is the worst way to use him unless it's with Saber, Vader, or Bossk, maybe IG-88. This is my issue with Jendon. For 16 points, I can take a Tie/D and it does the exact same thing Jendon is doing - giving me another heavy attack, but it also gives me another non-heavy squadron. 

If you are using Jendon to double tap anything except for the 4 I said, it's a total waste. Take the defender or decimator or 2 Tie/I, all of which benefit from other squadron buffs. You're wasting 20 points to make another attack which isn't that great.

However, I think the correct way to use Jendon is to attack ships. Maarek and Morna are capable of dealing 4 and 6 damage (fairly reliably) with Jendon to a ship, and can do it at medium with Rhymer. 

When I have played against Jendon, I have not been too impressed with him. And whenever I add him to a list, I always think about something more useful to run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

Lot of comments on using Jendon to double tap for anti-squadron, but I think that is the worst way to use him unless it's with Saber, Vader, or Bossk, maybe IG-88. This is my issue with Jendon. For 16 points, I can take a Tie/D and it does the exact same thing Jendon is doing - giving me another heavy attack, but it also gives me another non-heavy squadron. 

If you are using Jendon to double tap anything except for the 4 I said, it's a total waste. Take the defender or decimator or 2 Tie/I, all of which benefit from other squadron buffs. You're wasting 20 points to make another attack which isn't that great.

However, I think the correct way to use Jendon is to attack ships. Maarek and Morna are capable of dealing 4 and 6 damage (fairly reliably) with Jendon to a ship, and can do it at medium with Rhymer. 

When I have played against Jendon, I have not been too impressed with him. And whenever I add him to a list, I always think about something more useful to run.

Don't forget that Jendon also gives one of your squadrons psuedo-Rogue.  As long as that squadron finishes its move within distance 2 of Jendon, it'll be able to shoot the same turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Valca said:

Don't forget that Jendon also gives one of your squadrons psuedo-Rogue.  As long as that squadron finishes its move within distance 2 of Jendon, it'll be able to shoot the same turn.

Good point. Moving and Jendon attacking in the squad phase. That would be very useful once the carriers die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus when locked in combat without intel, jendon lets Mauler shoot to free himself and go jumping again.

Jendon lets the most effective squad shoot twice at the critical moment. It helps to have Maarek in the list as he is often the best choice, but not always. 

I did quite a lot of mauler double taps over the weekend. Sure I could have had a tie fighter instead. But it doesnt have six hull or braces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found jendon works the best with ig-88 and saber, it allows a powerful assassin strike that can cripple an opponents squad ball. Haven't tried him with bombers yet.

any relay is better than no relay, even with big ships, almost better actually. Nothing is worse than activating squads on an isd and realizing there's only two squads inside medium and the rest just hang there and die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...