Visovics

The unseen magnifience of the Vic I- June Writing contest

I know you are all thinking:" But the Vic I is not all bad or unused" But I am here to show you the full potency of this magnificient burst power. The 10 dice inferno.

Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
-  Moff Jerjerrod  ( 23  points) 
 Dominator  ( 12  points) 
-  Intel Officer  ( 7  points) 
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points) 
-  H9 Turbolasers  ( 8  points) 
-  Expanded Launchers  ( 13  points) 
= 140 total ship cost

THIS BEAST can unleash a wave of 6 black dice, 2 red and 2 blue(Dominator) at close range. This is already scary on its own, now imagine that you have higher chances of not using your brace because of an accuracy due to H9 and if you use your redirect it will be GONE from Intel officer, then put a reroll on the black dice and you are likely to have a very high damage output on the poor enemies.

Now you may ask: "But the enemy will know it's a destructive ship, and will run away from the Vic, as it is the most unmaneuverable ship in the game and you won't get anything off, so what is the point?"

Well, there are a few ways to do so! (I know, surprising)

1) The Intedictor is his best friend. And I mean it. By equipping it with Phylon's and G8, you can stop ships trying to outmaneuver past the spear-tip arc of the Death Space Triangle. By putting Projector Experts on it, you can recover the shields used for the dominator. It may also come VERY USEFUL on a later point

2) Station Assault. When you are second player, pray for this to be taken. You can slowly stay close to the stations, and the enemy can either face you or guarantee you free points. Now with the Grav Shift Reroute, you can do it even more easily, by pulling the stations back towards your edge!!!

3)Hyperspace assault. Not much needed to say, imagine that monster, FROM BEHIND. Exactly. With a slight help from some Lambdas, you will bathe on the tears of the rebel scum!

4)If your enemy doesn't want to risk any of the other two objectives, Sensor Net may be the way to go. Throw some more Lambdas, pull those close to you, once again the enemy has few choices but to approach the demoniac ship's front.

The article may be short, but so is your enemy's ship lifetime. And despite going to a crazy price, it may be worth to try it out, because not only it's potentially powerful, it will also NEVER be expected by your opponent and he may have no idea of what you are up to by kitting a Vic I.

Until then,

Admiral Visovics, signing out

3 minutes ago, chr335 said:

Hmmm tua and ecms?

The way I see it, this kind of ship (120+ points on a 8hp base) has a big "KILL ME!" sign stapled to it. It's weak to bombers, will melt from TRC corvettes (or long range fire in general), is likely to lose a joust versus ISD or MC80 christmas tree and needs first player to function (as otherwise the opponent would just fly out of the arc as first activation). So, way too many drawbacks (and triple-tapping Demo does the job better for the similar price - 100 pts for the ship and 20 pts for the bid).

4 minutes ago, PT106 said:

The way I see it, this kind of ship (120+ points on a 8hp base) has a big "KILL ME!" sign stapled to it. It's weak to bombers, will melt from TRC corvettes (or long range fire in general), is likely to lose a joust versus ISD or MC80 christmas tree and needs first player to function (as otherwise the opponent would just fly out of the arc as first activation). So, way too many drawbacks (and triple-tapping Demo does the job better for the similar price - 100 pts for the ship and 20 pts for the bid).

It is very high-risk high-reward, as long as it isn't on its own, it can also be repaired by other ships. Projection Experts and a swarm of Goz with Repair crews could work. They may not end up enduring, but they will become the target, so either way it can survive more than alone

I'll bid deeper to go second, and you can watch your VSD get taken apart on the approach by my TR-90s / Fighter swarm / Long range ARQs... etx.

Believe me, I've been impressed with Expanded Launchers on VSDs since I made a fresh Gladiator disappear with one in a Wave 2 sullust tournament. I've never repeated that success, and it's all due to those two crippling problems with the VSD: Speed (so it can't use the black dice sooner) and protection (where it's taken apart on the approach by other ships flying evasively).

Also, I'd pick XI7s and Sensor Teams under commander Vader. That way the redirects are useless while pouring damage into a single arc, and you can re-roll everything and dump dice for an emergency accuracy if you need it.

3 minutes ago, TheCallum said:

Thanks for the thoughts on objectives.

I feel the best VSD 1 is the one that abuses its raw stats.  For a mere 16 points more than your build I can have two VSD 1s with Vet Gunners.

I'm feel like I win that one every day.

I tend to agree with this. The VSD-1 is a stat stick, an area denial weapon, and a platform for Flight Controllers. As such, you want to keep her lightly upgraded to fill her role in your fleet in a way that makes all those dice and all that ship a bargain for the points, not a point pinata burdened by its lack of manueverabity and defensive options.

Slot by slot upgrades I tend to/will use on a VSD-1, rarely more than one or two at a time;

Titles- Pretty much none. Corrupter is unnecessary, Warlord needs a lot of jank to make it worthwhile, Dominator is overpriced. I will occasionally use it on a one for giggles though.

Officer- Flight Commander, SFO, liason in a tarkin fleet, tua (and then ecms/rbds)

Weapons team- gunnery team, flight controllers. Veteran gunners are fine here also, I guess, if you arent running vader. 

Off retro- boosted comms, exp hangers, tractors get consideration in a konstantine jank fest

ordinance- external racks, apts. 

turbolaser- spinals, dtts, xi7's

Role determines upgrades. If im hanging deep in a vader fleet as a backstop, then spinals gives me a nice bit of long range pop. Pushing squads? Flight controllers, and boosted comms or flight commander/exp hangers.

If you wanna have some janky fun, run warlord with needa/trcs and jonus. Its pretty cute.

For a time I was relying on an Interdictor with Targeting Scramblers to shield two VSD-Is with Expanded launchers and a few other things. I learned all I needed to know when set up against a pair of slow-rolling Gunnery team Liberties that blew away my shields at long range, and finished me off at medium. Any damage I did was sucked away by 3x GRs with repair teams.

I guess the answer then was to just stay at speed 0-1 and wait for them to run into me, but what happens if you're forced to go first and they have passive objectives that force you to move?

I love the VSD I, and with the External Racks coming up you can easily get a more bargain version that can throw out just the same amount of hurt, especially since it can be hard to get a second close range shot!

1 • Victory I-class Star Destroyer (103)

- Intel Officer

- Ordnance Experts

- External Racks

- H9 Turbolasers

- Warlord

This has less dice overall (9 instead of 11, but has the added benefit of guaranteed damage against squadrons in arc, and some better damage out of the reds). Your main issue will be with be ships with multiple redirects that decide to not burn that brace. For these tougher nuts, I give you:

1 • Victory I-class Star Destroyer (105)

- Intel Officer

- Ordnance Experts

- External Racks

- XI7 Turbolasers

- Dominator

Build to take on ISDs and MC80s, this monster punches well above it's weight.

I just can't fathom how 140 points towards a single VSD could ever be a better investment than 140 points on an ISD. That's not to say that VSDs are bad (they can certainly be used well) but their core selling point is "you get a lot of base stats for a cheap price, just have a plan to handle your awful yaw and low speed." Piling them up with upgrades doesn't make them cheap any more but you're still stuck with the inherent problems of the VSD. If you want to pile up upgrades, ISDs are just a better chassis to run with.

Edited by Snipafist

1 hour ago, Norsehound said:

For a time I was relying on an Interdictor with Targeting Scramblers to shield two VSD-Is with Expanded launchers and a few other things. I learned all I needed to know when set up against a pair of slow-rolling Gunnery team Liberties that blew away my shields at long range, and finished me off at medium. 

Konstantine my friend. Thou shall not slow roll vs Konstantine

3 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

Konstantine my friend. Thou shall not slow roll vs Konstantine

Unless Konstantine can project a magical wall of space bullets that prohibit my ships from being attacked after they have activated, I'm not too keen to rely on their abilties in that matchup. There's too many advantages in the Liberty, and not enough defensive bonuses for the VSD, to rely on Konstantine. Motti has to be there to help the ship survive against the two forked strikes dropped by the liberties, or Vader to try making the most out of the one alpha strike you're allowed.

unless theres a generic defense solution for VSDs to take, they will always be vulnerable to massed battery strikes. The only way to get around it now is trade the officer for something (needa, Tua). It's not a solution I like personally.

I mean, ask yourself which ship would fare better if it cannot use one brace token in a turbolaser gun battle.

Don't misunderstand, I wish the superlaser death VSD worked. I just see too many credible threats to its existence to worth fielding that configuration. Snip's right, you're better investing points in an ISD which can fight at the same range as the Liberty, with more hull, and better defense options (ECM). The Victory just isn't in a place where it can fight in an all-comers list, it hasn't left it's corner of being a carrier.

12 hours ago, Norsehound said:

Unless Konstantine can project a magical wall of space bullets that prohibit my ships from being attacked after they have activated, I'm not too keen to rely on their abilties in that matchup.

!!

Did I just hear someone say they've found a use for Jamming Barrier? :D

Edited by svelok