Thraug

Perfect(?) washer size for squadron placement

I've found what I feel is the best washer size for squadron positioning is:

• 1" + 1/8" OD (outer diameter)
  • 1/16" thick
  • Washer with a hole in the middle for the small protrusion at the bottom of the squadron's base to fit into.

These washers fit into the bottom of the base with no exposure. The washer is fully contained within the base. The diameter of the washer is slightly smaller than the opening in the bottom of squadrons, but it is easy to put a squad over the washer. I would say there is maybe 1mm of play when the washer in under the squad, so there isn't a lot of room to spare. I plan on painting the washers in Imperial blue/black and Rebel red, possibly numbering them too, but I'm a little concerned the primer/paint/seal layers may make the washer to big for as quad to put over it. I'm going to create 2 prototypes to test this.

I couldn't find these locally so I ordered them online at the following link. Unfortunately, the minimum # to order # is 100. It would be a good purchase for an Armada club to buy together and split. The total cost with tax and shipping to Western New York was 20.59, so that comes out to 21 cents a washer.

Link:

https://www.grainger.com/product/FABORY-5-16-x1-1-8-O-D-22UH02

SquadTIEWasher_zpse0fyixtm.jpg

Edited by Thraug

3 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Looks good. Is the point to weigh the squadrons down to make them less tipsy?

If you watched the last World's match, you would have seen that it made it very easy to pick up the squad to apply damage and know exactly where the squadron was when you put it back on the table.

Steve us right, its for changing squad hp and activations without losing your squad placement.

You could use it for movement too, but yes you be off by maybe 1-2mm if that concerns you.

32 minutes ago, itzSteve said:

If you watched the last World's match, you would have seen that it made it very easy to pick up the squad to apply damage and know exactly where the squadron was when you put it back on the table.

This. For measurement they're not accurate enough for competition but it makes moving squadrons off the board to make way for range rulers or applying damage a breeze.

I would also point out that Nathan's washers, who was playing the final World's match, are brass and not steel. They're noticeably thinner and have rounded edges so they stay on the board better but also slide more consistently.

Edited by TaeSWXW

Hi guys, I posted a thread not too long ago about the 3D model/print I made for perfect fitting bases you can measure from. Keep in mind, these days public libraries have at least some sort of 3D printer available for cheap (often charge a pittance for plastic-weight used) and I am making the file available for whoever wants it.

34 minutes ago, IronCondor said:

Just to confirm: since this was used at Worlds, it's a tournament-legal tool?

5 minutes ago, TaeSWXW said:

Let's say it's not illegal.

If your Opponent complains or questions it, then its up to the Judgement of the TO as to wether it is a violation of the "One Tool" rule, as by technicality, they are tokens (and thus tools), as much so as your finger is when used in such a way.

(I was basically informed that they were allowed at Worlds under the proviso A Judge is a Spectator until they're asked to Rule, effectively)

It feel it is very much a case of "you'll get away with it if no opponent stops you, but if they do, be prepared to stop using them to avoid an argument and just play the game.  Most of the time, if your opponent isn't questioning it and doing it themselves, that's the courtesy they're extending you after all."

Edited by Drasnighta

I'd glue them to the bottom of the squadron base so I could store them freestanding in my case, as they would attach themselves to the magnetic sheeting on the bottom.  Much easier to pack in lots of gribblies this way.

Source:  I also play 'nids

got a chance to try my printed bases today and frankly they kick ***. nothing like being able to pick up a bunch of squadrons to clear the way for a movement tool and not having to worry about marking them. then when measuring you can pop the squad piece off and measure from the base, move the base and pop the squad back on it after. Works a treat.

Hastatior,

I had a concern with your standies that they would be too thick to place a ship's maneuver tool over them when moving a ship through a cluster of squads. These discs will be used to keep the location of squads when changing their hull points, activation slider, and when moving squads aside when you need to use a ship's maneuver tool over a bunch of squads.

I haven't seen your device, but it looked too high off the table to allow for the maneuver tool to be placed over it, possibly over multiple discs. That's why I'm trying these very thin (1/16") washers. How have your discs worked when placing the maneuver tool over them?

Wouldnt, these be legal? And you can just put a washer under them for if you need to move them for shooting/movement tools? But those would also aleviate having to pick up squads each time you need to change numbers and sliders...

1 minute ago, Ling27 said:

Wouldnt, these be legal? And you can just put a washer under them for if you need to move them for shooting/movement tools? But those would also aleviate having to pick up squads each time you need to change numbers and sliders...

I really like those too, just looking to keep cost down. Wanted to give Squad markers away as tourney prizes for every one. The ones you suggest are great though.

1 minute ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Well, I'm sure the store isn't going anywhere lol

On that matter though, do you plan on doing ship ones? I know I would like to get some ship trays as well, and having spots where I can put shield dials would be nice too. It would save that hassle nightmare I have of adjusting the shield without bumping stuff or messing up.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

On that matter though, do you plan on doing ship ones? I know I would like to get some ship trays as well, and having spots where I can put shield dials would be nice too. It would save that hassle nightmare I have of adjusting the shield without bumping stuff or messing up.

There was a prototype for that design a while ago but I scrapped it. (just wasn't correct enough for me.) I'll run something past a friend who does acrylic work, (I think he already makes the shield bits too). Lemme talk to him and I'll PM ya. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis