LordBlunt

Auto-Include cards in your deck

6 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I get this feeling that the people who are going to do well in this game are the ones who are capable of using any card as a useful weapon.

Oh most definitely. I would also say that your reply above would apply to all card games in general. 

If bad cards do exist in this game, my hope is that whatever the team is planning for each clan going forward, these are kept to a strict minimum. Coming from CCGs  I do understand the value and logic behind some cards being deliberately weaker than others, as they serve as a powerful learning tool for newer players and fight against power creep, but in an LCG you get far fewer new cards in a given period of time, and where possible they should be strong enough to shake up what decks and archetypes are being played.

Edited by Ide Yoshiya

4 hours ago, Ide Yoshiya said:

If bad cards do exist in this game, my hope is that whatever the team is planning for each clan going forward, these are kept to a strict minimum. Coming from CCGs  I do understand the value and logic behind some cards being deliberately weaker than others, as they serve as a powerful learning tool for newer players and fight against power creep, but in an LCG you get far fewer new cards in a given period of time, and where possible they should be strong enough to shake up what decks and archetypes are being played.

I think something like 40-50% of the Android Netrunner cardpool is actually playable. I'm not sure about other the other LCGs,  I think GoT 2.0 is a little bit more flexible and 40k Conquest was mixed, but in general FFG still prints a decent number of "coaster" cards.

10 hours ago, Danwarr said:

I think something like 40-50% of the Android Netrunner cardpool is actually playable. I'm not sure about other the other LCGs,  I think GoT 2.0 is a little bit more flexible and 40k Conquest was mixed, but in general FFG still prints a decent number of "coaster" cards.

Frankly, it's most ccgs too. There's always going to be cards that are either underpowered, overcosted, or whatever. But, for some people, the stars can align and some Mooks with Dynamite will win you the game. Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

Image result for shadowfist mook

+1 if you remember the game. Yeah, the game is still going.

15 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

If I flipped a Wandering Ronin first turn, I would probably put ALL my eggs in his basket. A 1-man province taker, twice. 

Paying 7 fate for a 6/6 turn 1 and 4/4 turn 2 is a weak play. The ronin is an inefficient generalist, but if we ever play against one another, I strongly encourage you to run three copies to prove me wrong. :)

31 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Man, with all the hate the Wandering Ronin's getting without even having seen the rest of the set, I think I'm pretty much required to play with three copies of him, just to be contrary.

Well, what we do know is that to get the max effect from him you need to pay his base 3 plus two fate.  He'll be a solo beast, but we've seen so many ways in just the one Clan we have a good picture of that neutralizes one big guy.  I'm very skeptical that he's a better investment than say a Brash Samurai and a Doji Challenger for example.  The environment might prove us wrong, but I'm very much on Team Skeptical for the ronin's worth.  

1 hour ago, Kiseki said:

Well, what we do know is that to get the max effect from him you need to pay his base 3 plus two fate.  He'll be a solo beast, but we've seen so many ways in just the one Clan we have a good picture of that neutralizes one big guy.  I'm very skeptical that he's a better investment than say a Brash Samurai and a Doji Challenger for example.  The environment might prove us wrong, but I'm very much on Team Skeptical for the ronin's worth.  

He won't be unilaterally better than a clan-specific character in every case, no, but I think the fact that Dishonor doesn't affect him as much could be very useful in certain circumstances.  In this game, moreso than in the CCG, I anticipate wanting a decent spread of contingency cards rather than just building everything completely around a single strategy.

(Though, I will of course still make an all Ranged Attack deck as soon as it becomes possible to do so.)

Edited by JJ48

I think Wandering Ronin has some potential to do things with just a fate investment, whereas other characters with the same fate cost need other cards or conditions to utilize their full potential.  When you compare him to any of the other 3 fate characters we have seen, he's not particularly exciting.  But when you consider that you are likely going to invest additional fate on any of those characters so you can make use of their abilities WR becomes a statistical nightmare when facing another 3 fate character.  While WR has to give up longevity to do this, if the opportunity is right, your opponent might simply not be able to handle that kind of pressure .

Sure, cards that hit solo units will wreck WR, but, your opponent still needs to see those cards.  Simply playing WR forces your opponent to have an appropriate answer and can force bad choices if they don't respect his potential.  I could play WR with extra fate as a bluff to try and get my opponent to fear a big unit attack and overcompensate by putting more characters in play, likely with less fat on them, when really I was hoping to induce that type of response so I could pass dynasty, take the extra fate, and prepare for a better board position in a subsequent turn.  Then you get to the conflict phase.  Does the opponent bid higher to try to find a card to deal with WR?  Do they stand pat, potentially signialing a bow effect?  Was I just trying to force a higher bid in order to gain mor honor all along?

Again I wouldn't call him auto include, unless we see some cards that allow you to preserve his potential for when you really want to make the best of it.  As he stands now he's still somewhat situational, as a good number of all the characters are.  He's likely not where you start your dynasty deck construction, but, he's likely going to end up in your deck.  Mostly because the card pool is limited, but, as more is revealed that could change to.  Your opponent has to respect WR's ability to just go all in and break any province and at is something that shouldn't be overlooked.

In a way, he's kind of like Togashi Mitsu of old5r who I really liked and eventually had decks built around him and his inherent drawbacks to turn them into advantages.  Who knows maybe we'll see a reprinting of Shuten Doji and Ninja Shapeshifter to complete the combo. :) 

Edited by Ishi Tonu

On 6/3/2017 at 5:32 AM, Ide Yoshiya said:

I can guarantee you there will be multiple cards for each clan that will make you ask "Why did they even print this?"

It is part of FFG's design strategy for whatever reason. They do it with Thrones at least once a pack.

Some of those cards have since become playable over the course of the last 20 months, but it definitely hurts when your clan/faction gets a card that there is no way you can effectively use it at the time it is printed.

The good news is that those cards rarely take away from the game because you can just ignore them and wait until the next pack coming in a month :).

The slow crawl of LCGs is both a benefit and a downside but the perks are that you are consistently getting new cards month by month.

7 hours ago, twinstarbmc said:

If I flipped a Wandering Ronin first turn, I would probably put ALL my eggs in his basket. A 1-man province taker, twice. 

Unless they have one single bow or send home effect :P. And then they get two unopposed provinces, most likely.

I haven't played the game yet, but I'd be very surprised if any character is worth all your fate on turn 1.  Especially not a character this overpriced who has to use his own permanence as an effect just to make him a card worth spending fate on.

I think he'll be okay as a space holder until you get more cards for your clan, but I'd be downright shocked if he ever became known as a "good" card.

9 hours ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Unless they have one single bow or send home effect :P. And then they get two unopposed provinces, most likely.

Then I get a character with (admittedly) ok stats, who doesn't care about dishonor, and who's going to be around a while and keep my opponent sweating about the Ronin's self pumps. Is it a relatively weak 1st turn play? Sure. Will it put me in a better position on turns 2-4? Potentially. And that's what I'm banking on. 

Either he makes my opponent spend resources early on to deal with a "weak" character, OR, he sticks around for later turns when he becomes even more useful. Either way, I'm pretty happy.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:04 PM, Ishi Tonu said:

Militarily I tend to agree with you Kubs.  There are better options than Wandering Ronin.  However we haven't seen a political equivalent of Banzai yet.  WR might be the best option some clans have at a political province breaker.....no matter how bad he actually is.  He does at least get himself out of range of the effects that target 2 cost or lower characters.  That could end up being important.

Also in a Mil deck with little political power, he can scout provinces for you by using your political declare and him with relatively little cost and danger. but it will depend on how hard/easy it is to get a balanced deck without him.

15 minutes ago, Akodo_Metuki said:

Also in a Mil deck with little political power, he can scout provinces for you by using your political declare and him with relatively little cost and danger. but it will depend on how hard/easy it is to get a balanced deck without him.

Although I agree that's the best way to use him, I don't know that I would say he has a small cost. 3 fate is a pretty large chunk of your turn's income (and it's even more if you want to break the province).

Apologies for resurrecting this thread from a week ago, but:

Pilgrimage. Auto include imo.

There will be Province cards that most decks would certainly consider if not out right include, and this card will be in all of my decks regardless of chosen Clan. 

EDIT: Night Raid is a must include as well. I couldn't find the title before I posted this reply. 

Edited by LordBlunt

4 hours ago, LordBlunt said:

Apologies for resurrecting this thread from a week ago, but:

Pilgrimage. Auto include imo.

There will be Province cards that most decks would certainly consider if not out right include, and this card will be in all of my decks regardless of chosen Clan. 

EDIT: Night Raid is a must include as well. I couldn't find the title before I posted this reply. 

Currently (assuming the 5 elements deckbuilding restriction), I probably won't be including Pilgrimage, because I'll be playing Phoenix and using Mori Kuroi instead.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:13 PM, twinstarbmc said:

I know I'm late to the party but Wandering Ronin is great, swing in alone turn 1 and claim water, he straightens if he wins. Then swing again and claim either Earth for card draw, or Void to weaken your opponents board state.

8 minutes ago, Foxtrot Four said:

I know I'm late to the party but Wandering Ronin is great, swing in alone turn 1 and claim water, he straightens if he wins. Then swing again and claim either Earth for card draw, or Void to weaken your opponents board state.

I really need to know the turn order, it sounds like right now ring effect goes off before bow and send home. 

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I really need to know the turn order, it sounds like right now ring effect goes off before bow and send home. 

65 Wat?

That's... I'm not sure that's right, now I don't read the articles as often as I should I'll admit, but I thought that winning the battle claimed the ring, and THEN the ring effect goes off. That's how I saw it at least, if ring effects go off at the reaction to engage speed then Pilgrimage is going to be DOPE.