SirWillibald

SirWilli's Workshop - Runewars stuff

Hi everybody,

perhaps you know me from the X-Wing, Armada or IA community, I'm the maniac behind the paper boxes. ;)

I haven't had any chance to play Runewars yet, let alone painting my figures. But I came up with a first idea for some cardboard storage help. There you go:

2017-014.jpg
2017-013.jpg
2017-015.jpg

Some more info on my Facebook page, and just in case you don't know me at all, check out my website:

https://www.facebook.com/SirWillis-Workshop-141648432904544/

http://www.sirwillibald.com

But don't look for the above box, this is just a prototype and I'd love to hear some feedback before I decide wether or not I'll bother with making these available.

EDIT: ****, those photos are REALLY bad, sorry, this happens when you take the first phone that you can grab and try to make a decent picture with one hand only...

Edited by SirWillibald

Yup, making these.
With luck i'll kill my printer with these so i can get a new one lol. My printer likes to cut off the bottom edge of the paper, which is really annoying. Course it doesnt do that for text documents so i never noticed until i JUST BOUGHT new ink so i could make your armada boxes lol....

I imagine this will get rather bulky in time but your box keeps the spears safe from bumping, and thats kinda important. Theyre flimsy as all hell

What I like from the x-wing stuff that you have made is that they protect the miniature when it fall on the floor and believe me, it have been tested a lot!. With 4x4, if the box fall I think the miniature will take the shock too and hit each other instead as if they were individual. 

technically even the standalone tray would if theyre not magnetized to the base, as personally i find the pegs to be a pathetic waste of time (they rarely fit right and force me to put pressure on the model in ways i dont like doing).

I'm more interested in stackability and protecting thin protrusions (spears) than drop protection, though i could see that being a thing for xwing/armada for sure.

Ok guys, thanks for all the feedback! In detail:

On ‎31‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 9:23 PM, Contrapulator said:

Looks like it's really large because you included the tray. I wonder if you could make a box just for the figures with a divider inside similar to these things: 

covfefe.PNG

Thought about that, too, figured it would be too cumbersome for setup and clean-up, putting all figures in individual slots. And the figures would still rattle around a bit, because of the different poses. Of course I could make different sized compartements to give a tight fight for each(!) individual pose of each unit type, but this would result in a very elaborate clean-up procedure. I myself wouldn't like that at all. With one compartment size for each unit type that fits all poses this might be an alternative approach. If I have some spare time, maybe I'll give it try. But no promises at this moment!

On ‎31‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 9:35 PM, Vineheart01 said:

I imagine this will get rather bulky in time but your box keeps the spears safe from bumping, and thats kinda important. Theyre flimsy as all hell

Yup, that's my main concern, as well. Stuff getting too bulky, but as you pointed out, I was mainly interested in a bump-safe storage option. To reduce the amount of needed boxes I already started work on a 2x1 box and will give a 2x2 and 2x3 box a try, as well.

22 hours ago, Hijodecain said:

Is it possible to open upper cover and one side at the same? This will make easier to extract units from boxes.

Hmm... No, not right now, never thought of that. But the hole in bottom allows for a kinda easy extraction process.

13 hours ago, ghaste said:

What I like from the x-wing stuff that you have made is that they protect the miniature when it fall on the floor and believe me, it have been tested a lot!. With 4x4, if the box fall I think the miniature will take the shock too and hit each other instead as if they were individual. 

:-D

Yes, you're right, but the only way to prevent this would be a box with individual compartments as described above. And:

13 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

technically even the standalone tray would if theyre not magnetized to the base, as personally i find the pegs to be a pathetic waste of time (they rarely fit right and force me to put pressure on the model in ways i dont like doing).

I'm more interested in stackability and protecting thin protrusions (spears) than drop protection, though i could see that being a thing for xwing/armada for sure.

This. The box (and the potential 1x2, 2x2, 2x3 ones) is mainly aimed for stackability and protection when stored and, it really doesn't offer very much drop protection. You'd need some single compartement storage, I don't see any other valuable option at the moment.

And hopefully the boxes allow for a quick setup and clean-up process.

Will keep you posted with further updates!

Lovely looking boxes. Going to take up alot of space though and if you tip them you get a mess.  I'm going with classic foam trays for the minis and trays.   

3x3 would be the absolute max. Reanimates are the only ones currently that can be fielded in a 4x3 but i dont know how many people would do that.

I'd be really worried about the 3x3 becoming a total mess though since that would probably be pretty difficult to make fit snuggly enough to not have them shift. Plus, thats a lot of paper segments you need to glue together into one large piece that could easily be messed up (experience....lol)

i think the 2x1 is enough. It fits with what you get in each expansion. If you really wanted to get crazy you could make them in all the sizes (1, 2x1, 3x1, 2x2, 2x3, 3x2, 3x3, 4x3) but thats kinda ridiculous lol

That works too. Protects the flimsy pointy bits and keeps them in a reasonably small container. Assuming you dont have freakishly large hands for some reason im guessing its about as big as 2 trays would take anyway (in cube form)

****, seems both versions have fans... I think I'll start by making both in 2x1, maybe each in one standard size to spare me some effort. Have to check first if the other figures fit into the compartments, as well...

Thanks for your helpful feedback so far!

Didn't do much in the past weeks, very busy with being ill and with X-Wing stuff. Currently polishing the French GearBox release and after that I intend to finish the new Armada MicroHangars, and after that I'd really like to return to the Runewars UnitQuarters.

Even though I'm still undecided about the approach, perhaps some of you with some actual game experience have some insights?

A   Boxes for complete units with figures on the trays (not only 1x1, even 1x2, 1x3, 2x3, perhaps 3x3, have to try)
   --> Faster set-up, danger of figures rattling around (unless magnetized)

B   Boxes with single compartments for figures and space for the tray on top
   --> Slower set-up, safer figure storage for your precious paint jobs

Any preferences by now?

Edited by SirWillibald

Personally, A since my stuff is magnetized lol. I know a lot of people magnetized them too (since it isnt that hard given they already have a hole in the bottom for a magnet)
I would say the 2x1 sets would be ideal since all the expansions come in packs of 2s. Perhaps offer a single tray box for the Command boxes, even though most people have 2 commands for their race i believe, theyre the only one that comes in a single tray that isnt a hero.
Another vote to A would be its easier to protect the spears/lances than single model compartments. If theyre stored on the tray it wouldnt be a problem.

Edited by Vineheart01