Jump to content

Recommended Posts

@FFGElena So if the article this week is delayed, will next week have two articles, one fiction and one gameplay? Or will the gameplay article for Lion be pushed back until Jun 14th?

 

I think I speak for everyone when I say we would love to get each preview article done prior to Gencon and, with 11 Wednesdays left before Gencon, that leaves just 5 more spots for preview articles (with 6 more clans to preview) if the latter case is true.

 

I know you guys are working hard on this content and we all appreciate it. I just want to know if this hiccup in schedule will mean we don't see each article before Gencon arrives. 

 

Thanks! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Reprieve works on this character, or if sacrifices are a forced effect different from remove? It says"when attached character would leave play" could make for a sick combo with this here death seeker.

I think Reprieve would work.

Edited by Reiga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

Her ability is specifically while she's attacking.  She would not be as useful on defense.

You are right, need to read more carefully. Still weird mind games, when she attacks without much support on a "weak" province will occur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kakita Shiro said:

DS9 was great.

I disagree with you on some L5R stuff, but this, this...

You are 100% correct. Controversial statement: It is, in many ways, the best Trek show. Yes, the first season or two were mostly poor, but that's true of most 'genre' shows, including The Next Generation. Once the Dominion stuff kicked in, DS9 started having excellent character arcs, dramatic decisions where there was no perfect answer, and plenty of good fun in the mix, as well.  Episodes like 'In the Pale Moonlight' are truly great sci-fi, and just great stories regardless of genre.

Ronald D Moore was the lead writer for most of DS9's better elements. He went on the create the reboot of Battlestar Galactica.

Having said all that: Babylon 5 is the greatest sci-fi show ever made (well, seasons 2-4 are. 1 and five...aren't at that level).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Wintersong said:

So Ferengi is Mantis, Vulcan is Crane, Romulan is Scorpion, Klingon is Lion, Tribbles are Nezumi,...

Vorlon is Dragon (well, Kosh is Togashi, at least). The Shadows are Spider.
 

Oops. Wrong show. 

Anyway, Klingons seems like more of mix of Crab and Lion. 

 

Edited by Togashi Gao Shan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Reiga said:

I wonder if Reprieve works on this character, or if sacrifices are a forced effect different from remove? It says"when attached character would leave play" could make for a sick combo with this here death seeker.

I think Reprieve would work.

Ehh...I'm not so sure.

As far as I can tell, sacrificing the Deathseeker is cost. (Generally, FFG games have everything before the dash (that is, the - in the text) as the cost, and the stuff after that is the effect. Given that, if Reprieve triggers, she never leaves play, and so you can't use the effect of her ability.

 

Edited by Togashi Gao Shan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Reiga said:

I wonder if Reprieve works on this character, or if sacrifices are a forced effect different from remove? It says"when attached character would leave play" could make for a sick combo with this here death seeker.

I think Reprieve would work.

In A Game of Thrones, if a character's ability required sacrifice, a 'save' would not work. The character had to leave play in order for the ability to fire.

 

For context, Game of Thrones had the ability to give a character a 'duplicate' which meant, if you had two copies of a card, you put the second one on the character for free and gained the ability: “Interrupt: When the overlapping unique card would leave play, discard this duplicate to save that card. (Cannot be canceled.)

Reprieve is very similar, with the following text: Interrupt: When attached character would leave play – discard this attachment instead

In Thrones, you couldn't use a save to stop the cost of an ability, such as a sacrifice effect.

So, in this context, you would trigger the Deathseeker's reaction, discard her, as a cost, but then interrupt the cost to keep her in play.

The fact that she's still in play means you did not pay the cost and the ability wouldn't trigger.

 

The rules may be different in L5R, but considering Thrones and L5R are both FFG properties now, I would expect a similar ruling. 

 

Edited by Joe From Cincinnati

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

I disagree with you on some L5R stuff, but this, this...

You are 100% correct. Controversial statement: It is, in many ways, the best Trek show. Yes, the first season or two were mostly poor, but that's true of most 'genre' shows, including The Next Generation. Once the Dominion stuff kicked in, DS9 started having excellent character arcs, dramatic decisions where there was no perfect answer, and plenty of good fun in the mix, as well.  Episodes like 'In the Pale Moonlight' are truly great sci-fi, and just great stories regardless of genre.

Ronald D Moore was the lead writer for most of DS9's better elements. He went on the create the reboot of Battlestar Galactica.

Having said all that: Babylon 5 is the greatest sci-fi show ever made (well, seasons 2-4 are. 1 and five...aren't at that level).

 

I have never heard anyone call the first season or two of DS9 poor. It started off the ground pretty strong and kept going.

Next Gen is still better, but that is life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like there is a pretty strong undercurrent developing of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" in regards to defending against Lion.  If you don't defend, your own conflicts are weakened by effects like Fire/Water rings and the Lion's Pride Brawler.  If you do defend, beyond the normal cost of bowing defenders, you open yourself up to effects like Deathseeker and Fallen in Battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Network57 said:

Declare Political conflict, send him, intentionally lose. Very honorable for the Lion? :D

You can ask Mirumoto Kei and Ikoma Kyuso all about that one - it's exactly how the Lion kept the Dragon from ruining the War of the Rich Frog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, williamobrien said:

It seems like there is a pretty strong undercurrent developing of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" in regards to defending against Lion.  If you don't defend, your own conflicts are weakened by effects like Fire/Water rings and the Lion's Pride Brawler.  If you do defend, beyond the normal cost of bowing defenders, you open yourself up to effects like Deathseeker and Fallen in Battle.

Every movement you make should be painfully felt by your enemy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, williamobrien said:

It seems like there is a pretty strong undercurrent developing of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" in regards to defending against Lion.  If you don't defend, your own conflicts are weakened by effects like Fire/Water rings and the Lion's Pride Brawler.  If you do defend, beyond the normal cost of bowing defenders, you open yourself up to effects like Deathseeker and Fallen in Battle.

Which, if looking at it from the CCG point of view, I would assign to Clan Phoenix. (the damned if you do and damned if you don't thingy) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wintersong said:

So Ferengi is Mantis, Vulcan is Crane, Romulan is Scorpion, Klingon is Lion, Tribbles are Nezumi,...

If you're going with Star Trek, and especially DS9, then the Scorpion are summed up perfectly by Sloan, a character from the secretive Section 31 of Federation Intelligence, in the episode "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges":

The Federation needs men like you, Doctor - men of conscience, men of principle, men who can sleep at night. You're also the reason Section 31 exists. Someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong. 

Let's rewrite that for L5R:

The Empire needs men like you, -sama...men of conscience, men of principle, men who can sleep at night. You're also the reason the Scorpion Clan exists. Someone has to protect men like you from a world that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about it, this guy is just begging to be Assassinated.

That said, I might try a Deathseeker at the Height of Fashion. Either you are going not defend at let me pop a proVince in a Political battle, defend and lose (giving me a ring and bowing one of your dudes, or you'll win and suffer the consequences of that. I really like this card!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shu2jack said:

Thinking about it, this guy is just begging to be Assassinated.

That said, I might try a Deathseeker at the Height of Fashion. Either you are going not defend at let me pop a proVince in a Political battle, defend and lose (giving me a ring and bowing one of your dudes, or you'll win and suffer the consequences of that. I really like this card!

I think I would be perfectly happy to see Deathseeker Assassinated if I'm Lion. Paying 3 Honor for a guy that wants to get itself killed is a good trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...