Ywingpilot45

M9-G8 vs advance targeting computer

6 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

Yes.  Cf: Finn, Norra. ATC is adding a critical result.

This is incorrect.  Defender modifies first, so ATC's kaboom is added after M9G8 has his chance to work.  He can only affect one of the initial 2 or 3 dice from the primary weapon.

VADER could reroll it himself if he wanted to for whatever reason, using Predator.

6 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

Good correction, thanks -- had forgotten the timing chart, as usual.

Easy to forget because about 99% of the time people using ATC tend to place the crit on the board and THEN roll their dice. Also 99% of the time this makes no difference, but technically the crit doesn't actually get added until the attacker modify step which would be after the M9-G8 window has closed.

Incidentally though, it's actually good practice if you are the ATC user to wait until the proper time to add the crit. You arent allowed to spend the target lock if you add the crit but you can if you don't. So if you're at range 1 and roll 3 blanks it would probably be better to use the TL for a reroll rather than the crit which you may forget if you're always putting the crit out early.

44 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

So adding a die like the TIE SF or Norra or Finn happens during attacker mods?

I've been doing it wrong. 

I thought it was roll, add, defender mods, attacker mods (like TL or focus tokens). 

It's easy to get into a "wrong" rhythm. Most of the time it doesn't matter and a lot of the time it's not caught.

2 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

I thought it was roll, add, defender mods, attacker mods (like TL or focus tokens). 

Yes to the last two, no to the first, TIE SF lets you roll an additional die

3 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

There is a difference between "adding" a die (ie. Norra, Finn, ATC), and "rolling an additional" die (ie. Alliance Overhaul, Jan Ors, Spec Ops).

The former is a dice modification and is done in the Modify Attack Dice step, the latter increases the amount of dice you initially roll.

DR4CO, I can see where you're going.

The distinction though is 'Dice' and 'Dice Results'.

Your original wording is a little confusing, but the essence is correct.

Edited by McLaine

On 5/31/2017 at 3:11 PM, BlodVargarna said:

So your mistake is thinking that add is different from modding.  It's not. It's a type of modification, so it happens with all the rest of that player's modification.  

Adding a die (the TIE/sf or ARC *titles* for instance, or Jan Ors pilot ability, or simply range 1 with a primary) IS different from modification.  Adding a *die result* is a modification (Norra's ability, Backdraft's ability, ATC, etc).  The difference is whether it is a die before rolling whose result will be random, or it is a specific result being added (blank, eye, evade, hit, or crit).

It's super confusing to talk about the SF and Norra because they can both do both, and being clear about which you mean is difficult.

Edited by thespaceinvader