RovanW

Adaptive Ailerons

OK, maybe this question has been done to death, but I have paged through the various posts, and cannot seem to put all the pieces together.  Forgive me for rehashing this.

I understand the adaptive ailerons FAQ is quite clear that you do not lose your action for 'aileroning' onto a rock, but I am not quite clear why.

From the FFG rule set (swx36) Actions section: "A ship must skip its “Perform Action” step if it overlapped another ship while executing a maneuver."  Since adaptive aileron (and SLAM and dare devil) count as a maneuvers, this would seem to indicate you lose the action.

Under Activation Phase: "When an ability instructs a ship to execute a specific maneuver, it resolves only the “Execute Maneuver” step.”  This doesn't particularly say anything about obstacles one way or the other but does indicate special maneuvers (aileron, dare devil, etc.) are in the Activation Phase.

The Maneuver section states the same as the Activation Phase ("When an ability instructs a ship to execute a specific maneuver...").  Nothing more here.

Finally, the Obstacles section: "When a ship executes a maneuver, if its base or maneuver template overlaps an obstacle token... Asteroid: The ship must skip its “Perform Action” step this round."  No real exceptions here.

From the FAQ 4.3.2:

RULES REFERENCE (OBSTACLES, PAGE 14)

"The following section should be added after the third paragraph of the Obstacles entry:

'After a ship's base or maneuver template overlaps an obstacle, and the overlap is not from executing a maneuver, it suffers an effect based on the type of obstacle:

• Asteroid: The ship rolls 1 attack die. On a [hit] result, it suffers one damage; on a [crit] result, it suffers one critical damage. While a ship is overlapping an asteroid, it cannot perform any attacks.'"

This seems to state that moving onto a rock not due to a maneuver does not skip the Perform Action step.  That would be great except aileron is a maneuver (and would trigger anti-pursuit lasers, etc.).

My guess would be that this should say something like "not from revealing their first maneuver dial" or some such.  That should clear aileron/dare devil (no maneuver dial) or SLAM action (second maneuver dial).

I'm just trying to put this together so that it is consistent.  I guess the reason, "Because the FAQ said so," is fine, but I have a feeling this will come up for future abilities as well.

Thanks for your time.  Thoughts?

Yes you are right, this is another thing they should make clearer in the rule...

By the way, SLAM can't be done as a free action, so it will never be able to make you loose your action, whatever happen in the game in the future :)

Personally I think this is one of those situations were based on the rulings the intent of the rules is clear but FFG hasn't spelled it out in an FAQ.

The part about completing a maneuver and overlapping an asteroid or ship causing you to lose your action step has been unchanged in wording since the game was released. At that time the only way it could happen was from reveling the dial during the activation step. Based on the rulings they have handed down it seems clear that that is the ONLY time that particular penalty is suppossed to apply, even if you are performing a maneuver in some other way outside of the standard activation.  It would be better if they would just FAQ that section to clarify it only applies at that time butbso far they havent.

Again, this is just my opinion, not an official ruling, but so far all official rulings that touch on this seem to follow that interpretation.

It is easy, the way i see it.

Action phase is related to the standard maneuver in the activation phase. They are consecutive steps that every ship follows.

A maneuver executes at any other moment doesnt grant you an extra action phase. It would be very strange that they were able to skip a phase they dont have nothing to do with.

21 minutes ago, Willy Jarque said:

It is easy, the way i see it.

Action phase is related to the standard maneuver in the activation phase. They are consecutive steps that every ship follows.

A maneuver executes at any other moment doesnt grant you an extra action phase. It would be very strange that they were able to skip a phase they dont have nothing to do with.

That's a good way of looking at it.  Essentially my view of it from the other direction.

As for the why, it's just the way it's been ruled. We would likely not see any Strikers on the table had it been ruled differently.

I find it easier to think of 'standard maneuvers' (your dial), and special manuevers (from pilot or upgrade cards abilities).

All these manuevers will have you suffering the effects of obstacles you cross, or ships you bump, with the exception that special manuevers don't cause you to skip your action step.